PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out a new car?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Alexa5
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Great decision.... but perhaps I am partial to the Honda :-) I still have my 2001 Honda Civic with 170K+ miles on it. I did splurge on a used Honda Pilot which I love other than the gas mileage factor compared to the Civic (but of course it has a lot of room and great perks). But I kept the other so I can commute with it some days and save on gas, etc. I love that car--it has truly been awesome. Hope you enjoy your next Civic! I know I test drove both of them back when I bought the Civic and I just liked the Civic better for some reason.

BaileyCatts
02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Mr skateycat couldn't fit comfortably into the Corolla, which didn't have as good a stereo as the Civic, and the gas mileage was worse, so another Civic it is.

Skateycat, since its been a few months, can I ask how is your Civic handling? Which model did you get and have you had any problems? Do you live in a winter-area with lots of snow/ice and how does it handle in snow/ice if you do?

I've been putting off getting a car and I have to get one now and soon. I've done a ton of online research and its so confusing! You read all these great reviews about a car from reputable sources, and then you stumble on just as many poor actual customer reviews on the same car. I am definitely in the under $20K market only, so it seems I can't go wrong with a Corolla or Civic (even people on this thread say the same), but then I hit those bad reviews.

I was set on a Chevy Cruze because its the lowest priced, plus I have about $3-4K bonus dollars from being a GM cardholder. But then I came across a slam of bad customer reviews, even though a lot of the consumer reports rate it highly. /Does any one have a Cruze and experience with them?

Is my safest bet for a long-term car (I don't want to buy another car again for a good 15+ years; I drove my Pontiac Sunfire for 16 years until it died) going to be a Corolla or Civic regardless of those bad reviews I read? Should I stay away from the Cruze? Why don't I have any friends who are car geeks to help me sort it all out!! :wuzrobbed

vesperholly
02-22-2013, 09:35 PM
IMO, Corollas can last and last. I had a 99 (bought new until 2010), and I still today see older models on the road. My car was 11 years old and 115,000 miles when I got rid of it - and it was because it was totaled in an accident. My insurance company paid me more than $5,000 - I was shocked!

I never had any weird problems to fix, just replace tires, brakes, shocks and mounts, etc. The bracket that held the muffler on rusted out twice. That was it. I drove it back and forth to college 4 hours away for 3 years, 6+ hour road trips, several times in snowstorms, never had an issue. The 99 model wasn't very low to the ground - I never got stuck in snow (something my Mazda3 cannot boast :mad:).

Needless to say I HIGHLY recommend Corollas. I miss mine. I'm still sad that I couldn't find a newer model year/low mileage combo when I had to get a car after the accident.

Side note: my car is currently in the shop and I've been driving a Fiat 500 - what a fun little car!! I'm sure it's crap in the snow, but it's the perfect size for a single person who doesn't do much long-distance driving or hauling of stuff.

Skittl1321
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
No idea how the ones today are doing, but my Civic is a 2001, bought new, has 110k+ miles on it and is running the same as the day I got it. It gets 40+ mpg on long distance road trips too :) (I get about 30 city driving in the winter... it makes me so sad anytime it drops below 30, and that is usually due to massive snowstorms ruining the way I drive.) It handles well in the city-snow and semi-rural (as in plow goes through once over night and then never again) roads, I've only gotten stuck once, in a drift on a day we got 5 inches, the drift was probably more than double that, but I didn't realize when I went to drive through it.

The only major repair done on it has been the timing belt- it was replaced before it broke, but breaking apparently causes major havoc!

jenny12
02-23-2013, 01:26 AM
I recently got a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and am loving it so far. It has good mpg and runs smoothly and I like the new design of both the exterior and interior as well. However, it does not come with a spare tire as others have mentioned so that is definitely a negative.

Allskate
02-23-2013, 02:46 AM
BaileyCatts, this year's model of the Civic is reportedly a lot better than last year's model. So, when you see conflicting reviews, make sure they're all for the same. year.

Skate Talker
02-23-2013, 02:59 AM
I recently got a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and am loving it so far.

Really? I am curious as one of my friends has a new Elantra GT and doesn't like it at all. I am looking for something of this kind to replace my Mazda3, which I love driving, and the old van, which is somewhat necessary for hauling stuff. I live out of the city so delivery is not as easy to get, or as inexpensive. I just can't justify keeping 2 vehicles anymore though. It costs too much to insure both and they don't get driven enough to keep them running well. I had to keep calling auto club every time I wanted to drive the van because it had just been sitting there too long between runs and it kept killing the battery. Now that I am trying to use it often enough, the Mazda is sometimes sitting a couple of weeks between runs.

orbitz
02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
I got a Honda Fit last November; I like it so far. It took a bit to get used to it though, since I drove a Civic for the past 11 years, and the Fit handled much lighter than the Civic. I have successfully resisted all temptations to eat or drink anything while in my Fit so far :)

KatieC
02-23-2013, 03:37 AM
The only major repair done on it has been the timing belt- it was replaced before it broke, but breaking apparently causes major havoc!

I love my 2006 Civic, but anytime somebody tells me to replace the timing belt I'm all for it. I once had the timing belt go on my Toyota Tercel on a major highway and lost all power while in the fast lane. I was lucky traffic wasn't too busy and I was able to coast over to the side. Then I had to change into my runners and hop a chain link fence to find a business and use their phone to call the CAA. (This was prior to cell phones.) Ever since, the timing belt gets replaced regularly. The Civic has never had any problems, just gets a tune up whenever it asks for one!

orbitz
02-23-2013, 04:01 AM
I got a Honda Fit last November; I like it so far. It took a bit to get used to it though, since I drove a Civic for the past 11 years, and the Fit handled much lighter than the Civic. I have successfully resisted all temptations to eat or drink anything while in my Fit so far :)

ETA:

I had to replace my Civic last year, because the entire front wheel on the driver side came off the car and rolled off by itself while I was driving down a highway :eek: I had no idea how I did not cause any accident that day.

jenny12
02-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Really? I am curious as one of my friends has a new Elantra GT and doesn't like it at all. I am looking for something of this kind to replace my Mazda3, which I love driving, and the old van, which is somewhat necessary for hauling stuff. I live out of the city so delivery is not as easy to get, or as inexpensive. I just can't justify keeping 2 vehicles anymore though. It costs too much to insure both and they don't get driven enough to keep them running well. I had to keep calling auto club every time I wanted to drive the van because it had just been sitting there too long between runs and it kept killing the battery. Now that I am trying to use it often enough, the Mazda is sometimes sitting a couple of weeks between runs.

Yup, I'm happy with my Elantra. I haven't had any problems with it all all. However, obviously mileage varies in more ways than one.

skateycat
02-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Skateycat, since its been a few months, can I ask how is your Civic handling? Which model did you get and have you had any problems? Do you live in a winter-area with lots of snow/ice and how does it handle in snow/ice if you do?

The Civic handles very nicely. I got the EX, and I have had only one minor problem. The trunk used to occasionally make a clunk noise as the lid was being shut, but the dealer fixed it under the warranty.

I don't live in an area with lots of snow and ice, but there have been a few times in bad weather where I've remarked "Gee, my car just handled THAT pretty well!"

I think no car is perfect, and mistakes are sometimes made at the factory. The 2012 Civic has a reputation as being a step backward from the last model, and I wasn't a big fan of the color change lights on the dash that tell you if you're getting great good or poor miles per gallon. But after all the research and two test drives, I still liked it the best.

madm
02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Our local news station just previewed Consumer Reports top 10 car picks for 2013:
http://www.9news.com/money/319658/344/Want-a-good-car-Here-are-Consumer-Reports-Top-Picks
The Hyndai Elantra is in the list.