PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out a new car?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

WindSpirit
05-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Guys, skateycat made this thread to help her decide on a car she wants to buy, not to scroll through arguments about who's a good or bad driver and why.

Please either take it to PM or make another thread for it.

STOP posting it in this thread.

BaileyCatts
05-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I also need to get a new car, but Honda and Toyota are above my price range. Anyone have any personal opinions on the Chevy Cruze? That's closer to my range and I've read some good reviews on it.

nursebetty
05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I saw mixed reports on the chevy cruze, but it had it listed in the same range as the Elantra, Corolla etc., maybe it depends on all the extras you get on the car. How about the Honda Fit.

TheGirlCanSkate
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Since you are happy with the service, test all of the cars. I had my heart set on an FJ Cruiser, but after driving it I realized it was difficult to drive (very little rear/side vision, you have to rely on the camera).

What are the warranties like on each car?

UMBS Go Blue
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I had my heart set on an FJ Cruiser

Purr! (http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/sema/112_2006_sema_01z%2B2007_toyota_ultimate_fj_cruise r%2Bfront_view.jpg)

Purrrrr! (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/11632762767952475_1.jpg)

Purrrrrrrrrrrr! (http://img2.netcarshow.com/Toyota-FJ_Cruiser_Concept_2003_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg)

:grope:

nursebetty
05-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Has anyone heard anything about the Hyundai Accent? I did check out the Honda Fit today and it was super cute and consumer report rated it the best, but I have a problem with the front of the car being so short and it doesn't have any power. He explained about the protection, but .............

madm
05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Have you looked at the Scion tC (which is manufactured by Toyota)? My oldest daughter had one for two years when she lived in Florida, and it got 31MPG and was sporty and fun to drive. When she moved back to Colorado, she sold it and got a 4Runner because she goes to the mountains a lot to snowboard. She really liked the Scion! You can get a used low mileage Scion tC for about $14K, and new ones cost about the same as the Honda Civic.

nursebetty
05-29-2012, 01:11 AM
I ended up with a Corolla and love it so far, but the Hyundia was great. The Corolla is larger than I thought it was, butis a very easy car to drive. The Yaris may also be a solution for someone. It almost was for me.

Sarah
05-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I ended up with a Corolla and love it so far, but the Hyundia was great. The Corolla is larger than I thought it was, butis a very easy car to drive. The Yaris may also be a solution for someone. It almost was for me.

Completely agree with all of this. I ended up with a Corolla almost 2 years ago. I did try the Elantra and liked it, but went with the Corolla. My fiance bought a Yaris this past fall and loves it. It's small (too small for me as I haul horse grain and horse stuff regularly), but a nice little car and gets great mileage too.

cruisin
05-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Completely agree with all of this. I ended up with a Corolla almost 2 years ago. I did try the Elantra and liked it, but went with the Corolla. My fiance bought a Yaris this past fall and loves it. It's small (too small for me as I haul horse grain and horse stuff regularly), but a nice little car and gets great mileage too.

Did you look at a Rav4? That's a bit bigger than then Yaris.

Sarah
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Did you look at a Rav4? That's a bit bigger than then Yaris.

Personally, I didn't. As much a hauling bags of stuff is important, I need good mileage and even the best SUVs don't come close to my corolla (my mom has a pickup so I can use that if I really need the space to move stuff). My mom test drove it, liked it, but ended up with a Camry. In hindsight, maybe I should have looked at the Matrix (more space, still decent mileage), but I'm super happy with my corolla.

skateycat
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Update: Yesterday I test drove a Nissan Sentra, and it was ok. Similar price to the Corolla and the Civic, worse mpg by 5 and buying a Nissan would mean breaking in a new service department. I think that means no.

The new Nissan Juke actually gets better mileage than the Sentra, just 1mpg, but to get an all-wheel drive with mileage like that. That would be cool.

If I don't test an Elantra by Friday, I may just give up on it because I don't like their 'no spare tire' deal.

cruisin
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Update: Yesterday I test drove a Nissan Sentra, and it was ok. Similar price to the Corolla and the Civic, worse mpg by 5 and buying a Nissan would mean breaking in a new service department. I think that means no.

The new Nissan Juke actually gets better mileage than the Sentra, just 1mpg, but to get an all-wheel drive with mileage like that. That would be cool.

If I don't test an Elantra by Friday, I may just give up on it because I don't like their 'no spare tire' deal.

I would not even consider a car with no spare tire. I've had flats, you don't want to be caught without a spare.

skateycat
07-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Test drove a Nissan Juke yesterday - it was a fun car! But two minutes before I needed to run off to pick up little skateycat, the salesman pointed out the 2013 Nissan Altima.

Slightly less spendy than the Juke, comparable mileage to the Honda Civic and Corolla, and supposed to be a cushy car. I appreciate the thoughtful attention to what I want to get out of this car purchase, but I'm no freakin' closer to a decision! At least the Hyundai is officially off my list. According to TrueDelta.com, the reliability is not as good as compared to my other choices.

skateycat
08-20-2012, 05:20 AM
After all this time, I decided that the two finalists were the Corolla and the Civic. The Juke that I test drove possibly hadn't had the air conditioning unit charge, and there was a funny burning smell that the salesman was trying to reassure us about.

Also, mr skateycat said if I was considering the Altima, I might as well throw the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry into the mix. That brought me back to earth, making me realize that any of those cars was more than I wanted to spend.

Mr skateycat couldn't fit comfortably into the Corolla, which didn't have as good a stereo as the Civic, and the gas mileage was worse, so another Civic it is.