PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out a new car?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

made_in_canada
04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
No spare tire would be a deal breaker for me too. I drive on way too many lonely roads in bad weather. If I was only driving in urban areas I probably wouldn't care.

Meredith
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I drive a 2006 Civic EX for these reasons:

Dependability
Maneuverability
Excellent (better than advertised) gas mileage
Engineering and craftsmanship

This is my third Civic, so I am biased, but I've also owned Chevrolets, Nissans and Dodges.

cruisin
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Have not had the Toyota or Honda models you mention. But, I have driven Toyota products, exclusively, since 1986. Toyota makes great cars, at every price point. I, personally, have never owned a Honda. But, my daughter has my mother's Accord. It is also a great car. Everyone I know who has a Honda, loves it. So, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Toyota or the Honda.

Andora
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
That's too bad about the lack of spare with Hyundai. I know ours came with one.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
A few of the cars I test drove last year came without spare tires. It seems to be the latest trend.

I was not impressed.

Karina1974
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
One thing I've seen recommended is, when you get tires replaced, keep the one that is in the best condition, buy a rim, and have the tire mounted on it.

cruisin
04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I've considered RAV4s, and Subarus and the other all-wheel drives. I even wanted a Nissan XTerra for a while. And I live somewhere and work for clients where I might have to deal with snow once or twice a year. But we skateycats have come to the conclusion that on daily fuel economy vs. the annual snowfall debate, we pick fuel economy.

The Rav4 is a really nice car. I didn't think it was too bad on fuel economy. But, I'm comparing it to a 4 Runner :lol:. And, I live in an area where 4 wheel drive is frequently needed (just to get up the driveway).

Alexa5
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I've told this story here before, but my first Civic went over 350,000 miles. I'm not sure how much over, because the odometer stopped working. :lol:

My second Civic was at over 187,000 when someone rear-ended me in a massive SUV, and killed it. But that thing kept me completely safe during that accident.

I test drove quite a few cars to replace that poor Civic, and ended up in... yes, another Civic. :lol:

That is great....I would love for my car to make it that long. I am also glad to hear on this thread about the more recent model of Civics.... down the road when I need a new car it will be nice to know that it could be to my advantage to buy a used one/older model.

LilJen
04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
If you do not already have the Consumer Reports annual auto issue, try to get it.

I urge you to also test drive the Honda Fit. That's what I got for my new car 13 months ago and I absolutely love it. You would not believe the interior room in this little car. Consumer Reports has indicated that the Civic is no longer as good a car as before. They recommend the Accord and the Fit instead. Since you are considering the Civic, the Fit would probably be to your liking too.

We also love our Honda Fit. My only beef: Replacing the tires is EXPENSIVE!!! (we had the same problem with the Corolla--it had strangely rare/small tires, which probably isn't the case any longer.) I seriously just spent $700 for a set :eek: and that was after checking around for prices INCLUDING installation. . .

WindSpirit
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
We also love our Honda Fit. My only beef: Replacing the tires is EXPENSIVE!!! (we had the same problem with the Corolla--it had strangely rare/small tires, which probably isn't the case any longer.) I seriously just spent $700 for a set :eek: and that was after checking around for prices INCLUDING installation. . . I noticed that the most basic 2012 Corolla (I think it's L) has smaller tires than two others (LE and S). Maybe that was the case in the past, too. I have the LE ('99) one and I certainly didn't have to spend so much for the tires.

cruisin
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
snoopyskate makes an excellent suggestion. the Consumer Reports auto edition is an excellent resource.

LilJen
04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I noticed that the most basic 2012 Corolla (I think it's L) has smaller tires than two others (LE and S). Maybe that was the case in the past, too. I have the LE ('99) one and I certainly didn't have to spend so much for the tires.

Yeah, don't remember. . . I think it was one or two levels up from the basic model (it had electric locks! and electric window control!! TOTALLY fancy for the time). At least with the Corolla you have the advantage of millions of others out on the road. . . the Fit only came to the US like 5 years ago so it's still not all that common (thus the more expensive wheels, presumably).

I third the recommendation for the Consumer Reports annual car review. Easy to find at your local library. Can't count the number of household items we've gotten based on CR recommendations. All good stuff.

vesperholly
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
We also love our Honda Fit. My only beef: Replacing the tires is EXPENSIVE!!! (we had the same problem with the Corolla--it had strangely rare/small tires, which probably isn't the case any longer.) I seriously just spent $700 for a set :eek: and that was after checking around for prices INCLUDING installation. . .

That's why I kind of hate my Mazda3. I needed new tires about 6 months after I bought it (a 2009 model bought used in early 2010), and it cost me $500. And that was AFTER the 40% discount I got via a connection. :eek:

I don't remember tires being expensive on my Corolla at all. Maybe $60 apiece? The hubcaps were easily damaged, though.

dinakt
04-11-2012, 06:33 AM
I've driven rented Elantras a couple of times, and really enjoyed them. Rented Corolla, on the other hand, seemed quite loud on a highway, and it bugged me.

immoimeme
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Your next car should be a bicycle. Waaaay easier to maintain and get some genuine good out of, plus then you've got allll that $$$$ left over for something wonderful, like, I dunno, a trip to 2013 Worlds? just sayin'.....