PDA

View Full Version : Retirements in 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3

olympic
04-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Who is retiring at the end of this season?

KVDP

Anyone else?

Joubert? Suzuki? Any of the top Chinese Pairs?

judgejudy27
04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Joubert has already announced he is staying in. I was surprised but it seems set.

Suzuki has talked about Sochi so I dont think she is leaving either.

I would imagine if the Zhangs retire it is due to health problems, and being inability to lift and support her bigger body now after some injuries.

IceIceBaby
04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
There is no point of retiring if you come from a country that has a shot for Olympic Team Event medal (Joubert, Suzuki, the Chinese).

Zemgirl
04-08-2012, 10:14 AM
There is no point of retiring if you come from a country that has a shot for Olympic Team Event medal (Joubert, Suzuki, the Chinese).
France is an outside shot, so I doubt that's Joubert's rationale for staying. And unless Mervin Tran becomes a Japanese citizen, Japan probably has no chance.

I don't think we'll be seeing too many retirements in the middle of an Olympic cycle. Splits seem more likely. Is Lubov Iliushechkina retiring? The announcement re the end of that partnership made it seem like she wouldn't continue.

love_skate2011
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
> the aging 30+ year olds Pang/Tong
>the injury stricken Zhangs
>Ksenia Makarova ??? :confused:

Finnice
04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Laura Lepistö:(

skatak
04-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Yuko Kawaguti said in Nice they will stay until Sotchi.

PashaFan
04-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I hope Makarova gives it another season. She needs to get stronger.
I still enjoy watching the Zhang's. So I hope they stay.
Sad for Lepisto. I thought she might come back.
Brian Joubert still has some really bad memories of Vancouver two years ago.
I think he just wants a good Olympics before he retires :)

shah
04-08-2012, 04:11 PM
so far only Laura L. (:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed) and KVDP. phew!

but it makes me really fear the immediate post-olympic period. the list of retirements will be extremely long :(...

Fashionista
04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Is Lubov Iliushechkina retiring? The announcement re the end of that partnership made it seem like she wouldn't continue.

She is skating with Yannick Cocon (sp?) in France now.

Proustable
04-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I hope Makarova gives it another season. She needs to get stronger.
I still enjoy watching the Zhang's. So I hope they stay.
Sad for Lepisto. I thought she might come back.
Brian Joubert still has some really bad memories of Vancouver two years ago.
I think he just wants a good Olympics before he retires :)

re: Joubert. Pretty much (http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/04/brian-joubert-reloaded/)

Sylvia
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Yannick Kocon (who used to skate with Nicole Della Monica for Italy)? Do you know if they are hoping to compete or perform in shows?

Who is retiring at the end of this season?
Any of the top Chinese Pairs?
Pang/Tong were quoted after their FS at Worlds that they are planning to continue competing.

sequins
04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
but it makes me really fear the immediate post-olympic period. the list of retirements will be extremely long :(...

Agreed, it makes me weep just to think about it. I think it's gonna be a long list and a big blow. We got off easy after Vancouver, not so much after Sochi I'm afraid.

judgejudy27
04-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Agreed, it makes me weep just to think about it. I think it's gonna be a long list and a big blow. We got off easy after Vancouver, not so much after Sochi I'm afraid.

Post Sochi retirements (if not a few before) probably:

Men- Chan, Takahashi, Oda, Abbott, Lysacek (if he comes back), Joubert, possibly Kozuka, Reynolds, Verner, Plushenko

Ladies- Asada, Ando and Kim (if they havent already), Suzuki, Kostner, Flatt and Nagasu (if they havent already), possibly Zhang and/or Wagner, Phaneuf, Rochette (if she comes back), Czisny (if she hasnt already), Leonova, Korpi

Pairs- Zhangs and Pang & Tong (if one or both havent already), Savchenko & Szolkowy, maybe Volosozhar & Trankov (only possible if they win Sochi gold probably), Kavaguti & Smirnov, Evora & Ladwig, some of the Canadian pairs

Dance- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White, Pechalat & Bourzat, maybe Bobrova & Soloviev if they find themselves dropping, Capellini & Lanotte.

The dance should actually be in the best shape post 2014. Overall it will be an army of retirements though.

Moka-Ananas
04-08-2012, 07:30 PM

Really? How do you know? Sources?