PDA

View Full Version : CBC to sell bold

Pages : 1 2 [3]

AragornElessar
04-10-2012, 12:37 AM
It's still a CBC program and not a cheap one either. The ratings won't matter that much if Harper Inc's out for blood at the CBC.

My only consolation over the stupidity of a Harper Majority was that Jack Layton was the Leader of the Opposition. I miss that man. :(

Jenny
04-10-2012, 02:32 AM
It's still a CBC program and not a cheap one either. The ratings won't matter that much if Harper Inc's out for blood at the CBC.

Exactly. The sale of Bold is just one of the ramifications of the latest federal budget, which included massive cuts to CBC funding.

Ratings aren't the only reason that shows aren't renewed - it's also about cost to produce vs revenue generated through advertising and other sources, network priorities, how it fits into the fulls schedule, etc.

Canadian Idol was hugely successful in its 6th season, but it was also costly, as was CTV's other big ticket at the time, the dance competition. They chose to go with the dance show - rumour has it because it was a senior executive's wife's pet project - which illustrates the other factor in which shows move forward and which don't, and that's politics.

Japanfan
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I think CBC is more than a station it is a part of our culture - those funky shows that are just Canadian we won't get anymore as they don't make as much money as the crap that comes from some of those other stations that aren't Canadian programming.. :(

I'm devastated by the news that BOLD will be sold.

However, I have to concede that lot of the Canadian-oriented CBC programming is terrible. Not that American programming is a desirable alternative. . .

algonquin
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm devastated by the news that BOLD will be sold.

However, I have to concede that lot of the Canadian-oriented CBC programming is terrible. Not that American programming is a desirable alternative. . .
Sitcom or drama related, yes, but the CBC excels at investigative shows like the 5th Estate or Market Place. Harper et al would love to see Rick Mercer cancelled.

Skate Talker
04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't know - I found myself tuning into CBC much more this past winter to get away from the all the reality schlock. I really enjoyed the new show Arctic Air, and "discovered" the charm of Republic of Doyle. For both shows the unique Canadian settings are definitely a part of the character of the show. I truly hope they won't be affected by the budget cuts either.

Japanfan
04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Sitcom or drama related, yes, but the CBC excels at investigative shows like the 5th Estate or Market Place.

On that I completely agree, and would also mention The Passionate Eye.
]

TygerLily
04-11-2012, 01:57 AM
More news coming out about the cuts. Relevant points: less amateur sports programming and fewer documentaries (in reference to the Passionate Eye).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/10/cbc-budget-programs.html

AragornElessar
04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
And so it begins...

Yahoo Canada ~ CBC's 'Connect' and 'Dispatches' among swath of planned news and program cuts (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cbcs-connect-dispatches-cut-wake-federal-budget-reductions-184201219.html)

I feel so beyond awful for Mark Kelley. He's a good guy and one of the best Broadcast Journalists this Country's produced. First they shaft him when they made that stupid decision a few years ago and changed the Morning format at Newsworld/News Network when they were beating Canada AM in the ratings, which was not a money issue IIRC. Now thanks to the cuts, he loses Connect

If we lose him to the States, it'll be a sad day for Canadian Journalism, but also understandable. :(

This is the part that relates to BOTB...

Tough decisions about how to manage a $225-million shortfall will include shaving six existing or planned shows from the public broadcaster's TV lineup, said Stewart, executive vice-president of CBC's English Services.

"We are making those decisions next week and we've got some pretty strong criteria to make those decisions," Stewart said after CBC staff were briefed on job and program cuts in an internal meeting.

This is so bad on so many, many levels. :(

algonquin
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
And so it begins...

Yahoo Canada ~ CBC's 'Connect' and 'Dispatches' among swath of planned news and program cuts (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cbcs-connect-dispatches-cut-wake-federal-budget-reductions-184201219.html)

I feel so beyond awful for Mark Kelley. He's a good guy and one of the best Broadcast Journalists this Country's produced. First they shaft him when they made that stupid decision a few years ago and changed the Morning format at Newsworld/News Network when they were beating Canada AM in the ratings, which was not a money issue IIRC. Now thanks to the cuts, he loses Connect

If we lose him to the States, it'll be a sad day for Canadian Journalism, but also understandable. :(
He was on the National, perhaps he will go back there.

The Accordion
04-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Awww -no other way to put it - this sucks.

:(

Jenny
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
If, and we don't know this yet, CBC drops Battle of the Blades, I wonder if CTV might pick it up. I'm pretty sure the show was developed independently of the CBC, so the only issue might be Ron Maclean and whatever contractual obligations he has to CBC. He's a great host, but anyone can be replaced.

Sylvia
08-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Update (new thread started in the Trash Can): Bold has been sold to Blue Ant Media (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84726)

Peter_K
08-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Anything is possible since CBC network skating coverage was carried by Vision TV last season.

Ultimately, if they can sell commercials, then why not? For the most part CBC promos took up most of the commercial time on Bold.

Another thing to consider:

Since Bold was a CBC property at the time they won the Olympics bid, there is the potential that Bold _could_ broadcast CBC olympic content.

The reason I mention this is that during the 2012 games, adept viewers may have noticed that CITY-TV and CP24 did not show any Olympic coverage and, in fact, could only show still photographs during newscasts. This is because at the time the rights were aquired, neither CITY nor CP24 was a property of either Rogers or CTV.

So, who knows. Anything is possible.