PDA

View Full Version : Can Skaters hear anything beyond their name called?

Pages : 1 [2]

Johnny_Fever
04-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Actually, at a lot of events I've been at, they are sitting at tables with little dividers between them, and you can hear their commentary during the event if you're sitting close enough.

But the tables are high up in the seating areas away from the ice, so the skaters can't hear the commentators.I'd like to seat near Scotty when he's working. He gets pretty riled up now and then.

FSWer
04-09-2012, 01:37 AM
On the other hand, I do vaguely recall Kurt Browning agreeing with Scott Hamilton's commentary from the Kiss & Cry - it must have been at the Olympics where he had just messed up his SP.

Gee,somebody must have left the extertnal wire out then. LOL.

magicpixie
04-09-2012, 02:24 AM
When I skate (very low level) I can hear and comprhend anything yelled out, but try to ignore audiences.

This makes me wonder..When they show coaches rinkside yelling as their skater is performing, can the skater actually hear the coach? Can the coach yell instructions or a "key word" for the skater?

Skittl1321
04-09-2012, 02:32 AM
This makes me wonder..When they show coaches rinkside yelling as their skater is performing, can the skater actually hear the coach? Can the coach yell instructions or a "key word" for the skater?

Maybe. Coaches cannot coach skaters on the ice, but I've seen on youtube (at international events) coaches yell things like "power!" when the skater goes by.

They likely know whether their skater is the "in the zone" type or the kind that pulls on that.

I'm sure skaters can hear applause- you can tell when skaters feed on the energy of the rink, making a great performance greater, or pulling back from a mediocre one when the audience is supportive.

misskarne
04-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Actually, at a lot of events I've been at, they are sitting at tables with little dividers between them, and you can hear their commentary during the event if you're sitting close enough.

But the tables are high up in the seating areas away from the ice, so the skaters can't hear the commentators.

Oh, that's interesting. I would have thought they'd have been in a booth to reduce interference with the microphone pickup of the commentary.

I'm sure skaters can hear applause- you can tell when skaters feed on the energy of the rink, making a great performance greater, or pulling back from a mediocre one when the audience is supportive.

Some skaters encourage the audience to get involved. I always notice that Plushenko seems to actively rev up the crowd, especially before a straight-line step.

Aussie Willy
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM

But the tables are high up in the seating areas away from the ice, so the skaters can't hear the commentators.

The British Eurosport guys always talk about how excited some of the commentary teams are around them, particularly when their skaters are competing. I would think you need to be in the arena so you capture that feel of the audience and relay that to those watching the broadcast.

jl22aries
04-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Hmm, I actually did notice while watching some Brit Eurosport clips that there was some pretty loud conversations getting picked up on the feed during the middle of a skate. Thought it likely was another broadcast team, and not super loud fans?

Johnny_Fever
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
This makes me wonder..When they show coaches rinkside yelling as their skater is performing, can the skater actually hear the coach? Can the coach yell instructions or a "key word" for the skater?In some instances, the program is specifically choreographed with that in mind, like Debi Thomas in 1988. There was a clear transition before her 3rd piece of music when she was face-to-face with McGowan, about 6 feet apart. He would slam on the boards and yell at her to get her going for the home stretch.

Jemestone
04-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Good question. I've always wondered about this.