PDA

View Full Version : PA Announcers at Championships (Threads Merged)

Pages : 1 [2]

kwanfan1818
04-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Some of the pronunciations I heard from the announcers at Nice on the BOLD broadcasts* were pretty :yikes:. There were some that were strictly French pronunciation, some that were a hybrid -- the male announcer did not skip the "h" in "Donohue", but pronounced the "hue" as "hoo", both of which made perfect sense, and some which didn't make linguistic sense to me, like "Po-gee" for Poje, which I thought would be easy for a French announcer.

The hardest must be the North American names, because often you can't tell how the family pronounces their own.

I never know what syllable to emphasize with Slavic names. I love the Hungarian (general) rule to accent the first syllable.

*Because PJ stopped talking long enough to hear them, something that can't be said for the CBC teams.

victorskid
04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
PJ Kwong has been an announcer for many events within Canada as well as at many international events, including two summer Olympics, three winter Olympics, as well as World Cup Soccer, etc. Check out her bio here: http://pjkwong.com/?page_id=14

I'm sure she cringes as she hears some of the announcers in the arena as she's doing the BOLD coverage :)

allezfred
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
The best one in Nice was Showban 'eekin Cannedy. Me and C_T_T had a good :lol: over that one last night. :lol:

Skittl1321
04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
The hardest must be the North American names, because often you can't tell how the family pronounces their own.

They sometimes don't know! I have cousins who say their last name differently, both insisting they are correct.

Announcers have a very tough job. I've done it a few times for local competitions- and I imagine there is a lot of pressure on the national ones! At the local competitions the announcer also has to work with the ref to keep things on schedule (at a recent one I took an hour break to compete, and when I got back I got "oh good! We got behind with the other woman.") I don't know if timing is as much the duty of a high level announcer though.

kwanfan1818
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
They sometimes don't know! I have cousins who say their last name differently, both insisting they are correct.

:lol: -- I had forgotten about that, because my family went for alternate, pronunciation-specific spellings.

FSWer
04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I think on TV they pronounced it - Kring-care-root and Ju-letti-Schmitt but if that's correct or not, I don't know.

How is Schmitt pronounced??

MacMadame
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Like it's spelled, basically. :D

Like mitt with a Shhhh in front of it.

MacMadame
04-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure Giulietti is pronounced Gee-let-ti or even Gee-uh-let-ti. I know Rudy Giuliani pronounced his last name as Ju-lee-ann-ee but I don't remember Giulietti-Schmitt being pronounced that way when I've seen them live.

But I could be wrong.

Tammi
04-08-2012, 01:31 AM
For qualifying events in the US, there is an area to type in the phonetic spelling of the skaters name. That's passed along to the LOC's. When we do local events, registration will usually ask the skater when they get checked in if there's a question about pronunciation. That gets noted on the sheet for the music/announcers.

A judge
04-08-2012, 01:33 AM
PJ Kwong has been an announcer for many events within Canada as well as at many international events, including two summer Olympics, three winter Olympics, as well as World Cup Soccer, etc. Check out her bio here: http://pjkwong.com/?page_id=14

I'm sure she cringes as she hears some of the announcers in the arena as she's doing the BOLD coverage :)

She must! She sounds like she has an education in modern languages or something like that.

Habs
04-08-2012, 06:24 AM
A good friend of my family's was a rink announcer for Skate Canada for many years (25+). He's bilingual, and if he didn't know how to pronounce a name, he asked the skater or the skater's coach directly.
He absolutely cringes when he hears the name butchering sometimes.

Mevrouw
04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Giuletti-Schmidt would be pronounced Jule-yet-tee Sh-mitt IF the rules of the original languages are used.

But kwanfan181 was correct that North Americans often do not retain the original pronunciation (or spelling) so asking is a necessity if accuracy is valued.

Celine82
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Some of the pronunciations I heard from the announcers at Nice on the BOLD broadcasts* were pretty :yikes:.
The announcers in Nice were terrible, all of them, in both rinks. None of them could even speak a word of English. And don't let me start on their pronounciation of the Japanese names, among others...

Libertango
04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
My french friends and I laughed so much because of the whole "elle nous vient des [insert country name here]" :lol: