PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Kinkade Died...

Pages : [1] 2 3

myhoneyhoney
04-07-2012, 07:05 AM
San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_20344195/thomas-kinkade-one-nations-most-popular-painters-dies?source=most_viewed)

I know some think of his work as gaudy, over commercialized, over rated, etc. but I like them. I fell in love with cottages when I first saw Snow White as a little girl and would love to live in a one some day.

Sasha'sSpins
04-07-2012, 09:22 AM
San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_20344195/thomas-kinkade-one-nations-most-popular-painters-dies?source=most_viewed)

I know some think of his work as gaudy, over commercialized, over rated, etc. but I like them. I fell in love with cottages when I first saw Snow White as a little girl and would love to live in a one some day.

Well, I never considered Kinkade's work gaudy, etc. I've always loved his 'cottage' series, and especially his 'Christmas' collections. RIP to a great artist. I think in death he will achieve even greater fame as the years progress.

Buzz
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
R.I.P.

Holley Calmes
04-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I worked in a museum while he was in his heyday, and I think there was a lot of criticism of Kincaid from the arts establishment because they thought he was overly sentimental and commercial. He did a lot of safe stuff that spoke to ordinary people, and there's nothing wrong with that in my book. He was certainly a great craftsman/technician for the kind of thing he did, and hey-art is in the eye of the beholder. His work wasn't for me, but I am sorry he died so young. 56 is way, way too young.

ChelleC
04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
RIP :(

Cheylana
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Aww... :(

skatesindreams
04-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I worked in a museum while he was in his heyday, and I think there was a lot of criticism of Kincaid from the arts establishment because they thought he was overly sentimental and commercial. He did a lot of safe stuff that spoke to ordinary people, and there's nothing wrong with that in my book. He was certainly a great craftsman/technician for the kind of thing he did, and hey-art is in the eye of the beholder. His work wasn't for me, but I am sorry he died so young. 56 is way, way too young.

My feelings, as well.
Some of the criticism of his work has been needlessly harsh; and even cruel.

Vash01
04-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I liked his paintings and his use of light. I don't say that about every painting I see, and I have (amateur) experience painting. I would not try to emulate his work, but I liked it.

Allen
04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
A couple of years ago, I went to an art history conference with Oliver. We decided to check out the Kinkade panel just to see what people were saying. I'm certainly not a fan of Kinkade's work, but I have to say that I was really taken by surprise at the amount of vitriol directed at him. When it was time for questions, this one woman said "You all do realize that regardless of your opinion about the merit of Kinkade's work, he's a human being, right?" and then walked out of the room.

I agree with Holley that 56 is a very young age to die. My mother is only a year or so younger.

Cachoo
04-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I am not a fan but I certainly wish him peace. I am not comparing Norman Rockwell and Kinkade but I do believe years after his passing many people who considered Rockwell too sentimental had second thoughts and there seemed to be a new appreciation for his work. What will people think of Kinkade fifty years from now? You never know....

Skittl1321
04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm sad to hear of his passing- he was very talented, even if he was not a great master.

I am very surprised to hear his age, having had so much success in the 90s- I would have though he was older.

Holley Calmes
04-08-2012, 01:51 AM
I remember being very snobby about Rockwell in my younger days. Sentimentality, obvious emotions, etc. After all, I have a degree in Art History! I'm too sophsiticated for all that! Then I went to a showing of his work in Philadelphia and almost embarassed myself breaking into tears going from picture to picture. At least up close and personal, Rockwell's work has quite an effect-at least it did for me. I have decided since that I will no longer be an art snob.

I think Kincaid was criticized a lot because he manufactured a lot of kitch that went along with his paintings, (ceramics, trinkets, china tea cups, etc)and he made a heck of a lot more money than a lot of other "serious artists" out there. I've heard a lot of ugly things about him too....but hey-what's wrong with making money by giving people what they want and things that although they might not be my taste, are really pretty and lovely. Phooey on the critics!

LilJen
04-08-2012, 02:27 AM
Rest in peace, Thomas.

myhoneyhoney
04-08-2012, 03:07 AM
it's nice to read this thread... I remember being at a mall that actually had a Kinkade store and the comments I received from strangers when I walked out of it was shocking. I had just started college then and taking my first art class, I was still extremely impressionable. I thought something was "wrong" with me for liking his cottages.

Anita18
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
He certainly had a style and went with it, but from reading stories from his colleagues, he was also quite the hustler. I think that's why the art establishment looks down on him so much - true arteestes are much more preferred than hustlers. But there's a place for everybody, and he knew how to sell his work. Can't begrudge him that.

I would say a HUGE difference between Rockwell and Kinkade is that Rockwell often included people and relationships in his paintings. Although you can acknowledge it's overly sentimental, there's still sentiment there because of the people and relationships portrayed. Kinkade almost never included people in his idyllic paintings, which is kind of creepy if you think about it. :shuffle: Or when he included people, they were never directly interacting with each other.

54 is still way too young. RIP.