PDA

View Full Version : Who here is a Pairs/Ice-Dance Fan?

Pages : 1 [2]

mia joy
04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
I have a great deal of admiration for the pairs, but COP has impact it the most.

Really? I actually think CoP's worst impact was on ice dance.

And yeah, ice dance is my favourite discipline. The most interesting one, because the steps are the most intricate and the programs are the most complete, without useless skating around. There's something going on in a dance routine from start to finish. This, and ice dancers are usually much better at music interpretation than singles/pairs.
But maybe I just say so cause I'm a dancer myself (not an ice dancer, a regular one).

Ice Dance is the most predictable of all the disciplines
while Pairs is the most difficult of all the disciplines, imo

so why do they say pairs is full of people who were too bad to skate singles? :P
(JK, no offense anyone)
Yes, pairs skating is the most dangerous of all, that's true. I admire pair skaters actually for putting the fear away and doing all those dangerous tricks. BUT it doesn't mean it's the most difficult of all. It just requires different kind of skills. I actually think it's impossible to judge which discipline is the most difficult/the easiest and statements like yours are pure ignorance.

I don't know... if ice dance is an Olympic sport, then there should be absolutely no problem for ballroom dancing to be added to the Summer Olympics.. it's pretty much the same thing, no?

Barely. First off, if you add ballroom to Summer Olympics, you'll soon have modern/contemporary dancers want to add theirs too. There is only one ice dance, whereas there are tens of different kids of dance on the floor.
Second, you have to be a skater first to become an ice dancer i.e. you have to learn how to skate. Skating is considered a sport thus ice dance is a sport too.
And let me tell you, it's WAY easier to learn to dance than to learn to skate, let alone dance on ice.

Now don't get me wrong, I really love SOME pairs skating. I mean, I love skating in general, so I also enjoy pairs, but they don't move me as much as ice dancing. Some pairs out there are wonderful and I love them and could watch some programs over and over again. But in general, I prefer ice dance.

However, I had to grow to love it. When I started watching skating, at the age of about 11, dance was my least favourite. I didn't understand it. I needed to grow as a skating fan and to actually grow up a bit to fully appreciate the intricacy and beauty of ice dance. But to each their own. At the end of the day each discipline needs their fans ;)

DannyCurry
04-08-2012, 01:32 AM
OMG.
I'm an ice dancer, and be sure it's as much difficult as any other discipline, if done well. This is a very demanding sport because you need to be perfect. Few artistic skaters (if none) are able to skate the Rhumba the way Pechalat&Bourzat or Virtue&Moir do it.

All right, so I guess you don't need to be perfect for other sports.:blah:
And how many ice dancers can perform the Rhumba the way P&B or V&M do it anyway?

Also, would you point that few ice dancers can land a triple jump as Carolina Kostner? :rolleyes:

Anyway, pairs is my favorite discipline. Love the lifts, the split twists, the (pre-CoP) death spirals, and the throws.

victoriaheidi
04-08-2012, 01:44 AM
I am a huge dance fan. I've always enjoyed pairs, but not as much as singles or dance. I actually find dance particularly demanding. Not everyone has the natural rhythm or flow to be a dancer off-ice. Add in ice and it becomes more challenging!

blue_idealist
04-08-2012, 02:10 AM
I sure do!!!! Lynn and Logan!!!

I like them as well, I think they're a bit underrated.

Proustable
04-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Really? I actually think CoP's worst impact was on ice dance.

Yeah, I think the opposite. Love dance now more than ever. But I've definitely grown to appreciate pre-COP dance, though.

love_skate2011
04-08-2012, 07:22 AM
so why do they say pairs is full of people who were too bad to skate singles? :P
(JK, no offense anyone)
Yes, pairs skating is the most dangerous of all, that's true. I admire pair skaters actually for putting the fear away and doing all those dangerous tricks. BUT it doesn't mean it's the most difficult of all. It just requires different kind of skills. I actually think it's impossible to judge which discipline is the most difficult/the easiest and statements like yours are pure ignorance.

I don't think its pairs, based on recommendations alone
Ice Dance is easier to take than Pairs, many single skaters
switched to ice dance, Sinitsina switched pairs as her coach said she is a bad jumper and Stepanova went to Ice Dance because she had long legs and required no jumps.

blancanieves
04-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Apples and oranges as they say. Just because both disciplines require skates, it doesn't mean that they are interchangeable. It's not the same as swimming the 100 m vs. swimming the 200 m. Figure Skating and Ice Dancing have different focuses, value different criteria. I love both, but these days I get more satisfaction from the quality of (basic) skating in Ice Dance.

briancoogaert
04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Apples and oranges as they say. Just because both disciplines require skates, it doesn't mean that they are interchangeable. It's not the same as swimming the 100 m vs. swimming the 200 m. Figure Skating and Ice Dancing have different focuses, value different criteria. I love both, but these days I get more satisfaction from the quality of (basic) skating in Ice Dance.
Absolutely, that's why it's impossible to compare and say that Pairs is more difficult than Ice dancing. It's two different sports, and if you want to do it well, you need as much work for both.