PDA

View Full Version : 1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
i'm tired of the notion that we should throw out US nationals entirely--who needs that, it was _months_ ago! let's see what this skater has done in the last 5 minutes!

it's fine to choose senior GP based on season's best from a year ago, but for juniors, suddenly everything from last year can be dumped because a skater has posted up vids of herself on the net? how delightfully new age. :lol:

Did I ever say that US Nationals should get thrown out entirely? No, I didn't.

We're not talking about 'vids getting posted on the net.' We're talking about skaters making huge improvements in the 6-9 months that have passed since US Nationals and achieving exceptional results during actual competitions.

If you achieve exceptional results during summer competitions, it's fair to suggest you should get picked over skaters who have achieved very poor results during the summer competitions, isn't it?

In all other cases, it's reasonable to continue using US Nationals results.

(Also, last season Cain got selected for a second JGP even though she didn't medal in her first one)

skfan
08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
^so did siraj. *shrugs* is that why people are so concerned edmunds might miss out?

the season is long. if edmunds is all that, she can be this year's gracie, silver medalist at junior worlds behind radionova :)

chipso1
08-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Please explain how you feel she "got screwed" last year. She's lucky she got sent to even one JGP. Her previous year's results were not stellar. (Also, you are assuming she would have gotten to the JGPF, and that's not a given.)

We get it. You have an irrational dislike of all things Gracie Gold. Time to move on.

I wish Canada would have entered one of Charbonneau/Osmond/Desanctis for their second ladies spot. :( All three could definitely use some more international exposure. Perhaps we'll see some of them at Nebelhorn or Finlandia?

kwanfan1818
08-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Re: Canadian Ladies, Osmond has already qualified the current Worlds minimum TES scores (at Jr. Worlds); Lacoste hasn't, and it's possible Skate Canada doesn't want to be boxed into choosing Osmond by default for London, if the minimum TES score isn't lowered enough. I don't understand why they wouldn't send a second lady, and it could have been good for Osmond to get her feet wet before Skate Canada.

Both US Ladies chosen have the current World TES minimums, Gold at Jr. Worlds, Zawadzki at (least at) RC (SP) and 4C's (FS), and each has been assigned to two GPs. So do Miner (NHK) and Aaron (Nebelhorn); Miner has two GPs, while Aaron has none. Mahbanoozadeh, in a weak season last year before Nationals, didn't make the World TES minimums at either of his GP events; he has none this year, and he's pretty far down the list for being considered for an alternate spot. Dolensky didn't make the minimum in junior competition last year.

Coming into Seniors last year, Cannuscio/McManus only got one opportunity at Ondrej Nepala, and while they easily made the 4C's TES minimum, they missed Worlds TES. Since they also got Skate America, I'm guessing that this is a way to get feedback for them and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt before Skate America. (K/G-S met the FD minimum twice last year, but missed on the SD.) The same may be true for Chock/Bates, who have only one GP so far, but have a shot at a second, being in the first group of alternates. They, too, met the FD minimum last year (TEB), but missed the SD minimum.

For Pairs, USFS seems to be spreading the wealth, which is good now that the second spot is wide open.

Jeremy Ten tweeted (https://twitter.com/j3r3bear/status/235823332015087616):

almost all my favourite people going to the new U.S. International with me! I'm so excited!

Stephanie
08-16-2012, 01:27 AM
^so did siraj. *shrugs* is that why people are so concerned edmunds might miss out?

the season is long. if edmunds is all that, she can be this year's gracie, silver medalist at junior worlds behind radionova :)

The problem this year is that you need a minimum technical score to compete at junior worlds, so if Edmunds doesn't get on the JGP (quite possible, especially if several of the already selected skaters medal and earn second assignments) she won't have a score.

Of course there are minor junior internationals, but they're around sectionals and I can't see USFS giving a junior skater a free pass through sectionals for a junior B.

Proustable
08-16-2012, 01:38 AM
There are four men competing, though. Miner, Dolensky, Armin, and Max Aaron.

Vagabond
08-16-2012, 01:45 AM
The problem this year is that you need a minimum technical score to compete at junior worlds, so if Edmunds doesn't get on the JGP (quite possible, especially if several of the already selected skaters medal and earn second assignments) she won't have a score.

Of course there are minor junior internationals, but they're around sectionals and I can't see USFS giving a junior skater a free pass through sectionals for a junior B.

There are several junior internationals scheduled between U.S. Nationals and Junior Worlds, including ones in Turin and The Hague immediately before Junior Worlds, which are going to be in Milan.

Any skater named to the U.S. team for Junior Worlds who hasn't already met the qualifying standard should be able to do so during the pertinent time period, since the standard necessary to make the team is almost certainly going to be higher than the TES marks required by the ISU.

skfan
08-16-2012, 02:04 AM

you're right, that's an excellent point.

i can't help thinking, though, that there are already rumblings. ISU already said they will feel free to adjust those minimums. likelihood of that increased since one member federation already issued a discontented missive :lol:

another excellent point has already been made by another poster. probably, to qualify for junior worlds our eligible skater would have to have skated pretty well--likely earning that minimum TES in the process.

lastly, i have this premonition that the season won't be so full of thrilling surprises, and two out of the three ladies USFS will send to junior worlds this coming season will again be lam and gao... :lol:

yes, that's a big assumption, but if that's the case, then miller and long have just as much right to battle for the open-to-non-repeater spot, as much right to earn a season best score at a JGP as edmunds- both miller and long placed ahead of edmunds last year and are skating strong right now.

so, i can't quite make a case for polina wuzrobbed yet. not unless USFS send jiang, mariah, and siraj to the JGP ahead of her (and i'm pretty confident that won't happen). :P

pinky166
08-16-2012, 02:09 AM

Fair point but Edmunds will probably get a JGP. I mean, Gold didn't even qualify for Nationals in 2011 and got a JGP last season, and the season before Vanessa Lam was like 8th or 9th in juniors at Nationals and competed only once or twice over the summer with decent results and got a JGP. I really think Edmunds will likely be assigned to JGP #5 and is right behind Long and Keiser (who will likely go to JGP #4) in the pecking order. And if she doesn't end up going, then I guess she can't go to JW, but based on past years' events, she'd probably only be assigned to JW in the first place if she wins the junior title, as USFS seems to like to send junior age eligible skaters competing in seniors to JW ahead of junior ladies, so that means with a decent finish at Nationals Keiser, Jiang, Miller, Baga, Wang, Lam, Cain, Siraj, and Cesario, would all likely be named to the team before Edmunds if she places 2nd or lower in junior.

icemarker
08-16-2012, 05:38 AM
entries

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48331&type=media

cheers

johndockley92
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I feel like we might get a disappointing showing from Agnes :/

valyrian
08-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I feel like we might get a disappointing showing from Agnes :/

Why? At the very least she should be all right with her free program, having had it for two seasons.

johndockley92
08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
^^ Just based on practices I've seen of her - they've been quite poor.

valyrian
08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh dear. :( Is she injured? Have you seen anyone else in her rink practicing?

johndockley92
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know if she is injured or anything, and yes I have! They have quite a lot of good skaters there.