PDA

View Full Version : 1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

peibeck
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Maybe the US just hasn't decide the last ladies and pairs spots and will be adding them later?

The entries already had to be submitted to the USFS (and probably the ISU) already. I doubt they are adding more skaters to the roster.

gkelly
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
They said they wanted up to 18 entries per discipline. There are currently 16 ladies entered representing other federations, so there's only room for 2 Americans unless they decide to add another warmup group. For the other disciplines, there's room to include more US entries.

demetriosj
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
The US appears to be banking on one of Gold or Zawadski to be the US #2 as we move forward toward Sochi. They will both need the points, as both are still pretty low in the rankings (Zawadski 19th and Gold 55th) and need some advancement moving into worlds, so they can be in later skate groups.

That assumes US Nationals are predetermined....US Nationals predetermined? Heavens no! (sarcasm on)

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
And, without getting into the specifics of the Warsaw Cup example, I do know that a lot of "B" competitions in Europe have entries from far fewer federations than this one will have, so it's not surprising there would be room for more entries from those federations that do participate.

Why does it matter how many federations do or don't participate?

If you look at Warsaw Cup, the entries aren't really limited at all because if I understand it correctly, the city of Warsaw provides free ice time for this event (not 100% sure on this though).

The problem with this event is that the entries are limited to 18 Men and Ladies, 12 Pairs and 15 Ice Dance teams.

Not sure why such limitations have been set, given all of the skaters pay their own expenses. Maybe it's the cost of ice time (but come on, it's surely not that much and this event should be important to the USFS for all the obvious reasons)? Maybe it's worries about handling the event well logistically?

Given the above 2 Ladies being entered kinda of make sense (although would it really be such a stretch to allow let's say two more compete?).

But there are 15/18 Men entered and 6/12 Pairs and 10/15 Ice Dance teams leaving plenty of room for more US skaters to be entered.

USFS really shot themselves in the foot reserving only 3 spots for their skaters. It's their event, they can enter as many as they want to.

kirkbiggestfan
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Gold got screwed big time last year when she was only sent to 1 JGP. She could not do the JGPF and earn precious ISU points. It's only fair to give her this competition. She'll enter the Senior GP with a better ranking.

Sylvia
08-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Not sure why such limitations have been set, given all of the skaters pay their own expenses.
All the U.S. skaters' and coaches' event expenses are paid for by USFS, AFAIK.

gkelly
08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about the domestic novice and junior events being held in conjunction with this competition?

demetriosj
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Gold got screwed big time last year when she was only sent to 1 JGP. She could not do the JGPF and earn precious ISU points.

Please explain how you feel she "got screwed" last year. She's lucky she got sent to even one JGP. Her previous year's results were not stellar. (Also, you are assuming she would have gotten to the JGPF, and that's not a given.)

Sylvia
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know anything about the domestic novice and junior events being held in conjunction with this competition?
The Salt Lake Figure Skating club site will eventually have some info: http://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/

2012 U.S. Figure Skating Challenge Skate
September 12-16, 2012

In additional to the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, we will be hosting the U.S. Figure Skating Challenge Skate. Invited skaters from across the country competing at the Novice and Junior level for dance, pairs and singles will compete. All event and daily passes will include both competitions. Additional information will be provided within the next few weeks. We will post the list of athletes and schedules.

TanithandBenFan
08-15-2012, 10:48 PM

This article (http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/08/15/2012-challenge-skate-q-and-a-with-kelly-vogtner/) doesn't give a schedule, but it provides some information who will be participating and how it will be structured. Nice to see Amanda Evora as a team leader! :)

demetriosj
08-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Given the above 2 Ladies being entered kinda of make sense (although would it really be such a stretch to allow let's say two more compete?).

USFS really shot themselves in the foot reserving only 3 spots for their skaters. It's their event, they can enter as many as they want to.

Maybe they are afraid that the two Ladies they chose might get beat by other US skaters if they entered more US skaters? Just sayin'...

Vagabond
08-15-2012, 10:50 PM
If you look at Warsaw Cup, the entries aren't really limited at all because if I understand it correctly, the city of Warsaw provides free ice time for this event (not 100% sure on this though).

I'm not from Salt Lake City, but I doubt there's any way to get free ice time there. Maybe in Colorado Springs or Lake Placid, where the USFSA and/or USOC own rinks, but not in SLC.

Not sure why such limitations have been set, given all of the skaters pay their own expenses.

The U.S. skaters aren't going to be paying their own expenses, and the USFSA doesn't want to create a situation where a favored fewof its skaters have their expenses paid and the rest of them don't.

Sylvia
08-15-2012, 10:55 PM
It almost seems like USFS can't quite figure out how to optimize international assignments among GP, JGP, and senior B events. I am disappointed.
I think this appears more true re. the U.S. ladies (and has been discussed extensively in both the U.S. Ladies and JGP Predictions threads in the Trash Can ;)). ETA this well-made point, removing the skater's name because it's not about singling any one skater out, IMO:

To me the issue isn't that XXX doesn't deserve an assignment, but that skaters like her are totally ready to do sr intls but end up in jrs again for lack of good assignments.
So jgps become the new Senior Bs for the USFS. And then the ones needing jgp experience end up with one or none.

Bottom line is that there are more U.S. JGP age-eligible Senior ladies that prefer the opportunity of getting an ISU Season Best score at a JGP (along with the possibility of a 2nd assignment if they place high enough) rather than competing at a Senior B where they have to place in the top 5 to receive the same number of ISU ranking points and no SB score.

Senior B 1st-5th place receive the following ranking points: 250, 225, 203, 182, 164.
JGP 1st-5th place receive the same number of points and then 6th-10th receive: 148, 133, 120, 108, 97.

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 10:55 PM
All the U.S. skaters' and coaches' event expenses are paid for by USFS, AFAIK.

Oh, I didn't realise that. This certainly changes matters.

So they treat it just like they would any other international competition.

Please explain how you feel she "got screwed" last year. She's lucky she got sent to even one JGP. Her previous year's results were not stellar. (Also, you are assuming she would have gotten to the JGPF, and that's not a given.)

Her summer results have been incredible. She should have be been sent to an earlier JGP.

skfan
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Oh, I didn't realise that. This certainly changes matters.

So they treat it just like they would any other international competition.

Her summer results have been incredible. She should have be been sent to an earlier JGP.

i'm tired of the notion that we should throw out US nationals entirely--who needs that, it was _months_ ago! let's see what this skater has done in the last 5 minutes!

it's fine to choose senior GP based on season's best from a year ago, but for juniors, suddenly everything from last year can be dumped because a skater has posted up vids of herself on the net? how delightfully new age. :lol:

re: a certain 7 falls at worlds competitor from last season, in that case there were red flags. anyway until USFS establishes under what circumstances they can chuck nationals results and demand that a competitor re-proves himself or herself, they might be in the same boat next year on the worlds level as well.

re: gracie, yes, she had good summer results, but you're acting as if she lost out on the hype train last season. who's the junior worlds silver medalist? who's the designated US #2 until further notice (until zawadzki (sp) can visibly pull herself together)? who aside from wagner is the most hyped US lady? i find it hard to believe that ms. gold missed out on _so_ much.