PDA

View Full Version : 1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

SamuraiK
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
So out of the 11 US entries, only 4 were not previously assigned to a GP and will get the benefit of a international score. Bleh.

The international entries are a bit underwhelming too. Ladies is basically a mini 4 continents with tons of american 2nd rate skaters representing their grandpa's countries. Too few pairs and dance entries too.

Oh well, I hope the competition kicks ass.

YAY for the return of mexican skaters though!! I ve Missed Ana Cecilia Cantu.

danafan
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I was really hoping to see a Canadian lady not on the senior grand prix get a chance here (Desanctis, Charbonneau, or Najarro).

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm disappointed to see Paul/Islam and not Ralph/Hill entered. :(

And yes, given Canada has 2 spots per discipline, it's very disappointing that Skate Canada did not use the second Ladies spot.

Jenna
08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Paul and Islam are competing. ;)

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Paul and Islam are competing. ;)

Yeah and Ralph/Hill should have been competing instead because they've beaten Paul/Islam at Nationals and are about 17 times more interesting to watch. :P

SamuraiK
08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Ralph and Hill are already on the GP while Paul & Islam are not. If anything , the complaint should be about Gilles and Poirier getting a 3rd international before RH getting the second.

demetriosj
08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Both Gold and Zawadzki already have 2 GP's. Why not give some other talented US skaters a chance at a Senior B? Apparently, USFSA is, as always, not spreading the love..............

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Ralph and Hill are already on the GP while Paul & Islam are not. If anything , the complaint should be about Gilles and Poirier getting a 3rd international before RH getting the second.

Ahhh sorry of course. I forgot Paul/Islam did not have a GP assignment this time round. :duh:

The complaint you've raised is very much valid though and proves that G/P seem to be SC's anointed ones. :P

Both Gold and Zawadzki already have 2 GP's. Why not give some other talented US skaters a chance at a Senior B? Apparently, USFSA is, as always, not spreading the love..............

Yeah, I don't understand why the spots didn't go to somebody who is not entered for GP and for whom this would be the only chance to get 'out there' and possibly earn some ranking points.

Vagabond
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
There aren't many entries from other countries, so given how deep the fields in the US are, I cannot understand why USFS isn't entering something like 5 skaters/teams per category.

There are no set limits. It's all up to the host.

Look at the Warsaw Cup 2011 results, to give one example:
http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/2011/WC2011/index.htm

6 Novice Ladies from Norway are entered, 5 from Lithuania and Finland, etc.

The U.S. Federation made the decision long ago:

Here's preliminary schedule:
http://t.co/Pzf2p1mQ

As the host organizer, U.S. Figure Skating reserves the right to enter a maximum of three (3) entries in each discipline. Additionally Canada will be invited to enter two (2) entries in each discipline with all other member nations invited to enter one (1) entry with alternate entries listed in case of openings. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of entries. The Organizer will confirm the accepted skater(s) after the closing date for entries. A maximum of 18 Ladies and Men, 12 Pairs teams and 15 Ice Dance teams will be accepted.

I'm not sure how they've ended up designating four men. Maybe they changed the entry rules somewhere along the line. Or maybe one of the four is actually an alternate.

And, without getting into the specifics of the Warsaw Cup example, I do know that a lot of "B" competitions in Europe have entries from far fewer federations than this one will have, so it's not surprising there would be room for more entries from those federations that do participate.

demetriosj
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Ahhh sorry of course. I forgot Paul/Islam did not have a GP assignment this time round. :duh:

The complaint you've raised is very much valid though and proves that G/P seem to be SC's anointed ones. :P

Yeah, I don't understand why the spots didn't go to somebody who is not entered for GP and for whom this would be the only chance to get 'out there' and possibly earn some ranking points.

Yes, guess we'll never really understand the wisdom of USFSA when choosing entrants....

Jun Y
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
It almost seems like USFS can't quite figure out how to optimize international assignments among GP, JGP, and senior B events. I am disappointed.

Given ISU's new, very high minimum scores, there will probably be even more in-fighting for borderline skaters to get as many chance to qualify as they can grab.

crzesk8dad
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Not that matters much, but an interesting note..many of the foreign skaters are those that are former US and continue to train in the US, but represent other countries.....just sayin'

toddlj
08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
The US appears to be banking on one of Gold or Zawadski to be the US #2 as we move forward toward Sochi. They will both need the points, as both are still pretty low in the rankings (Zawadski 19th and Gold 55th) and need some advancement moving into worlds, so they can be in later skate groups.

peibeck
08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Not that matters much, but an interesting note..many of the foreign skaters are those that are former US and continue to train in the US, but represent other countries.....just sayin'

I think it does matter, as a competition like this is the only likely way they will be able to get some ISU rankings and points if they won't meet the new minimum scores to get to 4CC or Worlds. :shuffle:

Ziggy, thanks for the clarification. I guess I was presuming Senior Bs were like GP events with a max amount of skaters who could be entered by the host fed.

sammyf
08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Maybe the US just hasn't decide the last ladies and pairs spots and will be adding them later?