PDA

View Full Version : 1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

madm
05-17-2012, 11:00 PM
However, the difficulty of finding a bar near a hotel in SLC is sufficient that I hope USFS will choose a different venue in another year.

http://www.slctravel.com/liquor.htm

The above website is happy to inform you that in the whole state of Utah, there are now 400 bars...that is, in 84,898 sq mi or 219,887 sq km...they do say it is now easier to drink in Utah though, than when we went there back in the 1990's.

My favorite microbrews on a trip to Utah 2 years ago were Polygamy Porter and Evolution Amber Ale from the Wasatch Brewery in Park City, both of which are worth getting just for the irreverent labels! :rofl:

http://www.wasatchbeers.com/beers.html

A.H.Black
05-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Doesn't it depend on the number of federations represented by entrants and/or officials? So we still have to see whether SLC will pull it off.

There was a period of time after the Olympics when Salt Lake and surrounding areas didn't do much about hosting competitions. I think there were several reasons for the let down -

- It seemed like everyone was a bit tired after the effort put into the Olympics and all the preceding events.

- Several of those who were very involved in organizing efforts in Salt Lake moved on to other challenges and some of them are getting older.

- There are many more rinks and skating clubs in Utah now than there were even 20 years ago. I would guess the number of clubs has more than tripled (or quadrupled) since I first stated actively going to shows and competitions in 1990. The number of new clubs has added many more skaters, but it has also somewhat diluted the concentration of people who were/are very active in organizing efforts.

In the last few years a "new" core group of motivated and capable people have organized several competitions that have turned out very well. I think those who came to Salt Lake for Adult Nationals a few years ago were quite complimentary. This new group seems to have the energy and ambition to bid for and attract new competitions like the new Senior B. I think Salt Lake will do an excellent job.

Rochelle
05-18-2012, 02:14 AM
In the last few years a "new" core group of motivated and capable people have organized several competitions that have turned out very well. I think those who came to Salt Lake for Adult Nationals a few years ago were quite complimentary. This new group seems to have the energy and ambition to bid for and attract new competitions like the new Senior B. I think Salt Lake will do an excellent job.

Yes, I attended ANs there in April 2011, and quite a few from our rink attended Junior Nationals there in December 2010 -- both competitions went above and beyond in their communication, organization, and volunteer staffing. It was a very nice experience!

The facility it's self (Salt Lake Sports Complex) is also one of the nicest that I've been to -- and WARM. As in, Midwesterners wearing short sleeves all day long in the stands and be warm enough--in April. It's a solid location for such a competition, and there's a fair amount to do on the tourist side as well if you're an athlete with a day off.

Also, as a relatively speaking not-the-most-fit-but-good-enough-for-2:40 freskates and gold dances athlete... the 4,000-ish ft. altitude was a complete non-issue for me. And most adults. And most junior national kids. I felt a much bigger difference between Salt Lake City and Broadmoor/Colorado Springs, then I did between Salt Lake City and sea level. As long as someone doesn't have preexisting health issues strained by altitude (asthma, etc.), I don't think the vast majority of athletes will have much of a problem with the altitude. Any problems getting through their programs will most likely be due to the fact that, hey, it's August.

YukiNieve
06-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Here's preliminary schedule:
http://t.co/Pzf2p1mQ

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE (subject to change)

The final schedule of all the events, with practice sessions and practice groups, will be given upon
arrival. Official practice sessions will begin on Wednesday, September 12.

Wednesday, September 12
Official practice sessions.
Judges’ Meeting

Thursday, September 13
Short Dance
Men’s Short Program

Friday, September 14
Ladies Short Program
Pairs Short Program
Free Dance
Men’s Free Skate
Awards
Judges’ Round Table Discussion – Men & Ice Dance

Saturday, September 15
Ladies Free Skate
Pairs Free Skate
Awards
Judges’ Round Table Discussion – Pairs & Ladies

Sunday, September 16
Departures

Sylvia
06-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the Announcement!

The Organizer will preferably accept skaters and couples having taken part in the finals of the Senior or Junior ISU Championships of the last two (2) seasons. As the host organizer, U.S. Figure Skating reserves the right to enter a maximum of three (3) entries in each discipline. Additionally Canada will be invited to enter two (2) entries in each discipline with all other member nations invited to enter one (1) entry with alternate entries listed in case of openings. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of entries. The Organizer will confirm the accepted skater(s) after the closing date for entries. A maximum of 18 Ladies and Men, 12 Pairs teams and 15 Ice Dance teams will be accepted.
All competitors must be entered and all judges nominated only through their respective Member Association/Federation.
The preliminary entries must reach the Organizer by Friday, July 20, 2012 and all final entries on Friday, August 10, 2012 at the latest.

TanithandBenFan
06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
So there won't be a gala on Sunday? I hope the US sends the max entries in each discipline!

Ziggy
06-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Shame they are limiting the number of entries so much but given it's the first time they are organising it, I can understand they want to stay on top of it and see how it plays out.

I thought USFS would enter more than 3 skaters though, there's nothing prohibiting them from entering as many as they wish.

There should be huge interest, it's going to be an amazing event. :)

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I missed seeing the sentence (bolded below) in the Announcement earlier:

OVERVIEW
U.S. Figure Skating will host a Senior International figure skating competition in Salt Lake City, Utah, Sept. 12-16, 2012. U.S. Figure Skating will serve as the organizer of this annual international competition that will feature top senior level athletes and top ISU level officials. In addition to the senior events, U.S. Figure Skating will also be conducting the “U.S. Challenge Skate”, a developmental competition that will be held at the same time featuring a U.S. only Junior and Novice division.
Glad to see this new opportunity for the up-and-coming U.S. skaters! :cool: (USFS had been using the Skate San Francisco club competition the past 2 years for this purpose, but the invited skaters had to pay their own way, IIRC.)

Jayar
06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
If I inderstand it correc tly, the Canadian Team Camp is the same week as this event. As such, none of team Canada would compete.

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 09:05 PM
What about the Canadian skaters not on the National Team? (below top 5)

peibeck
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
If I inderstand it correc tly, the Canadian Team Camp is the same week as this event. As such, none of team Canada would compete.

:( I hope that is not true. And if it is, hopefully next year the USFS will pick a date which doesn't conflict.

Or maybe it was an eville USFS konspiracy? :EVILLE:

danafan
06-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Since the communication said Canada was allowed to enter two per discipline I had assumed the USFSA and Skate Canada would have been in communication about this. I also found it odd that a country not hosting the event would get more spots than other countries.
I hope Canada will take advantage of this event

barbk
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Perhaps Skate Canada might think that getting skaters like Osmond into a Senior B would be worth missing camp? A solid score there would help her a lot.

Debbie S
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Glad to see this new opportunity for the up-and-coming U.S. skaters! :cool: (USFS had been using the Skate San Francisco club competition the past 2 years for this purpose, but the invited skaters had to pay their own way, IIRC.)I wonder if the developmental comp will be held at the same rink, before the main comp begins, or on the same days at another rink.

I would love to go to this but only if airline prices come down.

barbk
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Hotel suggestions?