PDA

View Full Version : Mao Asada triple triple?

Pages : 1 [2]

brina
04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
It disturbs me to see someone as choreographically and artistically inclined as Mao placing this low at Worlds. She has amazing basics.. excellent line and she CAN jump, she's just putting too much emphasis on the wrong things. She's not playing her cards right. I would be totally frustrated if I didn't understand that she has been trying to improve her jumping technique.

arakwafan2006
04-06-2012, 01:17 AM
It disturbs me to see someone as choreographically and artistically inclined as Mao placing this low at Worlds. She has amazing basics.. excellent line and she CAN jump, she's just putting too much emphasis on the wrong things. She's not playing her cards right. I would be totally frustrated if I didn't understand that she has been trying to improve her jumping technique.

After watching the practice vids, she clearly can jump her butt off. People criticize her for doing the axel but clearly it means a lot to her. It could be one of those things that she feels like she's worked so hard for that she does not want to lose it. Also, her technique is so different on that jump. the humongous curve off of that jerky takeoff has been traded in for a rather average looking axel. Tougher do do but within her grasp. I still believe that the 3-3 combo would be smart to focus on until her axel is perfected

Doubletoe
04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
She doesnt have the triple axel anymore, she needs to surrender the fantasy. The faster she does, the faster she will be number 1 again. She has more than enough amunition to be world champion and has wasted a few opportunities in the last year by stubbornly attempting a jump that gets her no where.
This whole jump has marred her career, not enhanced it. She focuses on it so much, kills the start of her programmes, no choreography or transitions before the jump and she looks petrified until its over. After she misses it, she is shaken, distracted and it ruins the rest of the programme. Carolina K won this year with no lutz or axel, Mao could have easily done the same.

Mao has won world championships and an Olympic silver medal (right below the highest scoring female skater in history) with her 3A, so I don't know how you can call it "a jump that has marred her career, not enhanced it or a "jump that gets her nowhere." And if you're basing your judgment solely on her ability to land it cleanly *this* season, then, umm. . . excuse me, but . . .THE POOR GIRL'S MOTHER JUST DIED! CAN YOU GIVE HER AN EFFING BREAK???!!! Geez. . . :slinkaway

mrinalini
04-06-2012, 02:27 AM
THE POOR GIRL'S MOTHER JUST DIED! CAN YOU GIVE HER AN EFFING BREAK???!!! Geez. . . :slinkaway

This. If something like that had happened to me, I would have taken this season off and probably a couple more seasons after, too. Mao deserves all the kudos in the world just for getting out there and competing, let alone for competing as well as she has given the circumstances.

DimaToe
04-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Mao has won world championships and an Olympic silver medal (right below the highest scoring female skater in history) with her 3A, so I don't know how you can call it "a jump that has marred her career, not enhanced it or a "jump that gets her nowhere." And if you're basing your judgment solely on her ability to land it cleanly *this* season, then, umm. . . excuse me, but . . .THE POOR GIRL'S MOTHER JUST DIED! CAN YOU GIVE HER AN EFFING BREAK???!!! Geez. . . :slinkaway

Agree with your whole post.

I keep being a fan of Mao not just because of her sating, but because of her hard work and wanting to be THE VERY BEST not just good enough to win. Not to bash anyone , but the mentality these days in ladies skating seems to be "ill just do enough to win" playing it safe has become the standard, and it has made ladies somewhat :blah: and it has made fans complain endlessly about it, asking why ladies are not doing certain jumps, why do they have simplistic choreography, Etc.. Mao has been one to not fall to the trend, if anything she's working even harder now, she went back to basics, improved her speed, improved her spins, and is working on a 3-3 and regaining the 3 axel, she's not playing it safe, she's a fighter, and shows the true spirit of an athlete, she should be applauded. But instead she is being criticized for not playing it safe by the same people that complain when other ladies do it, I really don't get it. Yeah Mao could easily win with easier jumps, but maybe she doesn't want to win that way, and I see nothing wrong with that. Mao, please continue being a hard worker and a fantastic athlete, as well as an awe inspiring woman :D

arakwafan2006
04-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Actually, this is the time when she probably feels it the most. Right after trauma is 1 thing but now that a slight amount of time has passed... first worlds without mom. not pretty.

love_skate2011
04-06-2012, 06:48 AM
I agree
let go of the 3A and work on the 3-3 more

but Mao will be back in full force, I am happy she is taking a short break after Worlds she needs it
we have had other great skaters that have gone through a lot and come back ( Slutskaya *)
Mao's comeback will be thunderous