PDA

View Full Version : My cousin was brutally murdered

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Smiley0884
04-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your support and condolences, I am very grateful. It's been a long day to say the least :fragile:

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sadly, this is not uncommon in PR (where I currently reside). We broke all records last year with our homicide rate and this year it's not much better. Our police force is incredibly corrupt and under federal investigation for civil rights violations. You can find the scathing report in the NY Times.

You guys need to apply pressure at the top. Was your cousin Puerto Rican, or from the continental US? I'm asking because we've had a few prominent cases involving non-Puerto Ricans which have been resolved because of the pressure applied from the US.

If you're looking for news on the internet, you probably won't find much. Our online news services pretty much suck- people here still love the newspapers. If you want, you can give me the date of the incident and I can look up a hard copy of any article for you.

Jimena, the shooting happened on Wednesday April 3rd. My Cousin was born and raised in PR, but did live in the states for a few years. He wouldn't be considered someone from the U.S. I wasn't super close to my cousin Jovan, but I grew up closely with other family members that have moved back to PR and now I'm so paranoid. My cousin Shayna is there with her two sons, and I worry about them. :(

Now my mother is saying she will never go back there again after this has happened. I've lost other family members to murder in PR, but it was when I was a child and wasn't told about it. It's so depressing to know that there's nothing we can do. My family wants justice, but everyone is telling them not to "upset" the gang that was responsible for the shooting.

Smiley0884
04-06-2012, 12:45 AM
((((Smiley and family)))) I am so sorry for your loss.

An old college chum of mine was murdered a number of years back while on vacation in PR. He was 29. Similar to your cousin's situation, the authorities took little interest in finding the killer and it took my friend's parents being down there and a lot of pressure from their lawyer to get anything done. The horrific nature of the crime was just compounded by the apparent indifference of the authorities. (He was gay, by the way; not sure whether that contributed to the authorities' lack of zeal, but it was the reason he was murdered.)

That's awful LilJen. I'm in absolute shock over the attitude and behavior of the "authorities" in PR. They might as well not even exist, since if anything they just make things worse :rolleyes:

skipaway
04-06-2012, 01:54 AM
You and your family are in my prayers tonight.

sk8pics
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

UMBS Go Blue
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
(((Smiley and family))) :( :fragile:

Buzz
04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Smiley I am so very sorry for you loss and I hope your family gets justice for your cousin. May he rest in peace.

Lynn226
04-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Smiley, I'm so sorry hear about this. :(

I've visited PR many times and I love it. It's a beautiful island and everyone I have met there was wonderful.

ChelleC
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

modern_muslimah
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your lost. :( I hope your family gets the justice they seek.

kittyjake5
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
My deepest sympathy to you and to your family. Such a terrible tragedy.

loulou
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
It's good that news about corruption gets in the open. It's like being a drunk: you can't begin to fight it until you admit there's a problem.

Aussie Willy
04-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.