PDA

View Full Version : Cringe Worthy American Television

Pages : 1 [2] 3

skateycat
04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
As a little kid, I remember hating the show Three's Company with an unusual amount of passion. My complaint was that every episode was predicated on some insignificant lie and I could not stand to see adults so dishonest for matters of no importance!

I would add The Bachelor/The Bachelorette shows to this list. I watched one episode recently, and I just find the whole concept made me uncomfortable. I wouldn't have been willing to find my husband that way.

milanessa
04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
As a little kid, I remember hating the show Three's Company with an unusual amount of passion. My complaint was that every episode was predicated on some insignificant lie and I could not stand to see adults so dishonest for matters of no importance!

That was a British show first, too. :rofl:

shan
04-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Teen Mom. There are 14 year old girls having babies and naming the poor kids after Teen Mom characters. I'm not implying that Teen Mom encourages teen pregnancy, but that it encourages teen moms to name their kids horrible names. Bentley? Really?

:rofl: I always feel :EVILLE: that I :rolleyes: at some of the names people choose for their children.

Sounds like you only watch PBS. ;) Plenty of British trash out there - no different than many countries around the world. The US does seem to take it to a new level, though.

Hey I watch Eastenders on my PBS station every Sunday! There's nothing like combining the trashiness of soaps with the classiness of PBS! :lol:

Wyliefan
04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
The first time I went to the UK I was :confused: that very few of the shows were the kind that we see on PBS in North America, and that most of the non-news programming was game shows, reality shows, chat shows, etc. - and a lot of them way cheesier than similar-type shows in North America. I thought I must be missing the channel where all the classy stuff was :lol:

That's how I felt when I first got BBC America. :)

milanessa
04-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey I watch Eastenders on my PBS station every Sunday! There's nothing like combining the trashiness of soaps with the classiness of PBS! :lol:

I understand some PBS stations show Coronation Street. Not mine. :(

I saw the first episode of Eastenders when it was originally broadcast and watched for a few years but then lost interest. It was never as good as Corrie, though. :wuzrobbed:

Prancer
04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
No No No--Great Britain is the land of "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock" and realistic soap operas and beautiful choirs at Christmas. I didn't know "Big Brother" started there. :eek::)

US shows based on British shows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_Britis h_television_series

floskate
04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
No No No--Great Britain is the land of "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock" and realistic soap operas and beautiful choirs at Christmas. I didn't know "Big Brother" started there. :eek::)

Noooooooooooooo we did NOT give the world the reality show plague that is Big Brother. :yikes: Endemol, the Dutch-based production company who invented the show, aired the first ever series in the Netherlands in 1999 a year before UKTV picked up the franchise and started airing it in 2000. Don't blame us!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

That said, there is plenty of utter crap on TV over here and I hope the rest of the world is spared 'The Only Way is Essex', 'Made in Chelsea' and worst of all 'Desperate Scousewives'. :eek: :scream:

milanessa
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
US shows based on British shows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_Britis h_television_series

I'd forgotten about a lot of those shows - Krytpon Factor was a favorite but I never saw the US version. Thanks for the memories.

Noooooooooooooo we did NOT give the world the reality show plague that is Big Brother. :yikes:

Maybe not Big Brother but remember Fly on the Wall? That was groundbreaking in reality shows, IIRC.

floskate
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe not Big Brother but remember Fly on the Wall? That was groundbreaking in reality shows, IIRC.

Fly on the Wall as in the style or an actual programme called that? I don't recall it if there was one.

DarrellH
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Any of the shows with Paris Hilton

milanessa
04-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Fly on the Wall as in the style or an actual programme called that? I don't recall it if there was one.

I could have the name wrong but I thought it was the title. I'm fairly sure it was on BBC and had cameras filming the day to day life of a working class family in Reading. Mother, father, 2 daughters - one with a child and live-in boyfriend, and 1 son (?). They all lived together in a council flat.

floskate
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I could have the name wrong but I thought it was the title. I'm fairly sure it was on BBC and had cameras filming the day to day life of a working class family in Reading. Mother, father, 2 daughters - one with a child and live-in boyfriend, and 1 son (?). They all lived together in a council flat.

I don't remember that at all but it sounds about right. Actually the first kind of fly on the wall documentary over here started in 1964 and was called Seven Up. It is a documentary focusing on the lives of a group of children aged 7 from a wide variety of social backgrounds. There has been a follow up documentary every 7 years since and the next installment - 56 Up - will air later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Series

shan
04-05-2012, 09:29 PM

I saw the first episode of Eastenders when it was originally broadcast and watched for a few years but then lost interest. It was never as good as Corrie, though. :wuzrobbed:

I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American daytime soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

shan
04-05-2012, 09:30 PM

I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

That said, there is plenty of utter crap on TV over here and I hope the rest of the world is spared 'The Only Way is Essex', 'Made in Chelsea' and worst of all 'Desperate Scousewives'. :eek: :scream:

What on earth are "Scousewives"? :lol:

floskate
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American daytime soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

Coronation Street and Emmerdale (used to be Emmerdale Farm from 1972 until 1989 when they dropped the farm aspect and added lots more sex) are both pretty good quality soaps with sometime ridiculous storylines, but some wonderful comic characters and great writing which reflects everyday life. IMO at least, they are both better than Eastenders which is just depressing and takes itself far too seriously. But growing up in the north of England where both Corrie and Emmerdale are set (Lancashire & Yorkshire respectively), probably makes me a little biased :D

ETA: Desperate Scousewives (http://www.e4.com/scousewives/) aka some over made up slappers from Liverpool :scream: