PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 4/4-4/5 Top 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

skatesindreams
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
What exactly is the point of these duets?

The tour, perhaps?

taf2002
04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
She can be a bit cheesy, but we have to remember she's 16. 16 with a voice that is amazing. The performance style will evolve. She is not my taste in music. But, she (as another poster said) is mega-talented. I think she has enormous potential and is young enough to be molded into a star.

Age IMO has not a lot to do with it. You're either a pageanty queen or you're not.

Sorry -- I'm on board with the judges on being underwhemed with Holly. When she sings, I can see her stepping outside of her body to listen and and watch and comment (to herself). That will ruin her. She's too careful to move herself -- much less the listener. Sure she sounds okay...but so what? The advice J Lo gave her last night shocked me in its profundity -- but perhaps that is because, as an artist, I share most of Holly's issues.

That said -- I will freely admit that I said a lot of the same things about AI Carrie Underwood...and look what happened to her....

That's exacty why these kids need REAL MENTORS. My ears like Hollie's voice more than they like Jessica's but both of them need coaching. I think Hollie has already started to improve...she was completely relaxed & not in her head for her duet. I don't think there is more reason to critique her than Jessica but of course they made their pick & Hollie threatens her.

I think they are being short-sighted. Hollie is so marketable....she's young, she's pretty, she's got great hair & a cute figure, & a really good voice. I don't understand why the judges pick these kids & then try to sway voters to vote for one over the other. If they based it on talent that would be different, while still unfair, but they base it on the producer's whim. That's why I FF anytime the judges or Ryan is talking. They all make me sick.

cruisin
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Age IMO has not a lot to do with it. You're either a pageanty queen or you're not.

I think age has everything to do with it. 16 year old girls grow up. I don't see her as pageanty, I see her as trying to emulate older divas. It comes across awkward. But, she, with guidance, will work it out.

I think they are being short-sighted. Hollie is so marketable....she's young, she's pretty, she's got great hair & a cute figure, & a really good voice. I don't understand why the judges pick these kids & then try to sway voters to vote for one over the other. If they based it on talent that would be different, while still unfair, but they base it on the producer's whim. That's why I FF anytime the judges or Ryan is talking. They all make me sick.

Hollie does have a great voice, but she lacks the control that Jessica has. Hollie is, sometimes all over the place with pitch. Jessica seems to be able to stay on pitch better. She is pretty and sweet. But, she is stiff and seems uncomfortable on stage. She can be worked with, as well. But I think Jessica is more comfortable performing. Even though she is a little schticky right now.

snoopysnake
04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Skylar - I thought this was her best. But, I was :eek: when they showed the clip where she said she misses her gun. Why would they put that in? that could alienate a lot of people.

After Gunpowder and Lead (not only glorifying guns, but cigarettes :mad:) last week, and the vid with her and her pet gun (WTF does she shoot? :scream:) I looked at her face in the closeups during Wind Beneath My Wings and saw Tonya Harding with her hair dyed dark. Scary!

my little pony
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
After Gunpowder and Lead (not only glorifying guns, but cigarettes :mad:) last week, and the vid with her and her pet gun (WTF does she shoot? :scream:) I looked at her face in the closeups during Wind Beneath My Wings and saw Tonya Harding with her hair dyed dark. Scary!

considering how the voting seems to go season after season, i wouldnt be surprised if her dirty harriet clip makes her more popular with some voters

cruisin
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM

:lol:

considering how the voting seems to go season after season, i wouldnt be surprised if her dirty harriet clip makes her more popular with some voters

:scream:

Rob
04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I hear pitch issues in Hollie's transitions - she gets the big note though and I liked her vocal better than her physical performance - she looked nervous she was going to trip or something.

I made it back to the parts I missed and I liked all the duets and Jess and Josh the best. Colton was a little dull, weak performance for Phillip, let down after last week for Elise, Deandre better than usual, Skylar better than usual, but I heard some pitchy stuff there too.

PrincessLeppard
04-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I wonder if Hollie was nervous she was going to trip. They make the girls wear those really high heels, and if you aren't used to them, they can be intimidating.

Carly Smithson was on one of Michael Slezak's shows and her advice to the girls was to wear shoes you felt comfortable in.

nypanda
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
PL -- I thought the same thing -- Holly looked terrified of her (fierce) shoes. To me.

I disagree with a previous poster that she looked more relaxed during the duet. To my eyes, she barely acknowledged the other singer on the stage - much less worked with him. She sang her part just as she planned, then furrowed brow and zoned out until her next change to sing. Perhaps she was trying to remember the words? The blocking? Still -- girlfriend's got no poker face.

They're all on level ground as far as access to "real mentors". I think they're getting equally good/bad advice; what they do with it is up to them....

shan
04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I like Hollie much better when she's not singing big ballads. I thought she sounded so much better on the trio last week (wasn't it?) and duet this week.

Jessica is so talented, but she just doesn't hold my attention.

I have no preference between the two of them.

I did like Elise/Phillip duet much more than either of their solos.

I've never heard Wind Beneath My Wings with a twang. It was okay (a bit pageanty) and it was nice to see Skylar not stomping all over the stage.

I think my particular issue with Skylar and Jessica is that they seem to emulate their idols each week. I think this is the first week I haven't been reminded of Miranda Lambert when Skylar sings and Jessica sounds a lot like Beyonce.

cruisin
04-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I hear pitch issues in Hollie's transitions - she gets the big note though and I liked her vocal better than her physical performance - she looked nervous she was going to trip or something.

I thought she looked nervous, as well. She does this thing that skaters and dancers sometimes do, when they are nervous. Her shoulders go up and forward. that probably effects her singing as well. If she relaxed her shoulders, she would probably improve, all around.

my little pony
04-06-2012, 01:17 AM
it never stops making me lol that they show all of j lo's videos during a "singing" competition

kylet3
04-06-2012, 01:56 AM
*Phew!* Hollie is safe, Elise hopefully will be safe, I want DeAndre gone.

my little pony
04-06-2012, 01:58 AM
please dont save him

on the bright side, it looks like he could be j lo's next boyfriend, she's quite attached to him

kylet3
04-06-2012, 01:58 AM
No way in hell that should be saved.