PDA

View Full Version : John Misha Petkevich - a forgotten skater?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

skatesindreams
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Skatesindreams I tried your Sports Illustrated link and all I get is a gateway timeout.

Try this now. It works for me:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1148000/index.htm

eta:

Thanks for sharing the photo of the "passing" of the Salchow trophy!

Johnny_Fever
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Anybody know what he's doing now? Still investment banking? The last thing I heard is that he was married to Elisabeth Silby.

merrywidow
04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I remember him well & being from Montana he was considered an athletic icon here in his day. I seem to remember that he was considered the man who brought athleticism to mens figure skating. Thank you for posting this as I didn't have a tape recorder at the time.

pollyanna
04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
viennese, that is so cool! I idolized Petkevich when I first became a skating fan.

Thank you Floskate and skatesindreams. :)

I'll never forget Petkevich. Back when figures counted for 50% or more of the total score and great freeskaters like Janet Lynn and John Misha Petkevich failed to make the podium, fans in the arena and TV audiences alike couldn't understand why. I remember that Janet's name was always mentioned when there was talk of increasing the value of freeskating, and if there was another name mentioned, it was always John Misha Petkevich. It may not be apparent to today's fans, but he had a huge impact on the sport.

I remember that for years and years, Petkevich was the expert commentator of the World Pros and the Challenge of Champions, and I'll always be grateful to him for the Evening of Championship skating. (And yes, I have his book. :shuffle:)

AYS
04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much floskate, for that montage and the memories. I fell in love with skating ~'68-69, and he was my very first favorite mens skater. So great to see those huge jumps and elegant footwork again. :)

aliceanne
04-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Great montage, Floskate!

Here is his program from 1972 US nationals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVr4tszems

Even with the fall, this is a truly wonderful program.

His book IMHO is the best instructional skating book there is.

I couldn't resist posting this comment below the video on youtube - the club's sign is prominently in it...

If I were a figure skater, I dont' think I'd want to skate for the "GREAT FALLS" Figure skating club!

manleywoman
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Who needs triple flips? Petkevich came off the ice in one flying thing he calls the Bourkey, after his coach—a jump in which he kicks sideways, whirls, arches and generally hangs around up in the air long enough to wash out a pair of sweat socks. . . .
Coach Arthur Bourke (whose jump now will become the most widely copied move in figure skating) gave John Misha a bear hug that was harder than anything else the kid had been through all day.

Which move specifically was the Bourkey? Considering the lack of knowledge of the writer, I'm not sure if he's referring to a variation on a delayed axel?

Whatever happened to Arthur Bourke?

aliceanne
04-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Which move specifically was the Bourkey? Considering the lack of knowledge of the writer, I'm not sure if he's referring to a variation on a delayed axel?

Whatever happened to Arthur Bourke?

The bourkey was a variation on a stag jump. The front leg is not only bent but turned over with the inside of the thigh and calf facing up. There is a photo of him doing it in his "how to" book published by Sports Illustrated.

floskate
04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
The Bourkey is shown a couple of times in the vid. It comes from a flip take off and the clearest example I used is at 1.44 in the video. I'm pretty sure Brian Orser used to do Bourkey's in his LP's back in teh day but would need to check.

manleywoman
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Ahh, so it's a variation on the flip. Hard to tell without seeing the actual takeoff. Thank you.

Again, whatever happened to Arthur Bourke? Anyone?

floskate
04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Ahh, so it's a variation on the flip. Hard to tell without seeing the actual takeoff. Thank you.

Again, whatever happened to Arthur Bourke? Anyone?

Yep and the free leg comes round in a fouette move to make the stag position before landing. No one does this anymore so clearly it isn't 'on the books' so to speak. If a skater were to use this as a transitio would it be counted as a single flip? Imagine a clockwise Bourkey landing on a LBO then counter turn into double axel. That would be cool :)

Sorry, I have no info on Arthur Bourke.

vivika1982
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Your creation is very good/as always/ and educational and you should've post it in GSD instead of the Trash Can .

floskate
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks Vivika but no, it does belong here because it's not current skating news :)

muffinbiscuit
04-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I first became fascinated by figure skating during the Squaw Valley O's, but JMP suckered me in and I have never left.

Seerek
04-06-2012, 04:54 AM
I'd have to do my research, but along with Chengjiang Li, John Misha Petkevich must have the record for most top 5 finishes at worlds without a medal (1 4th + 3 5ths, which is exactly Li's best placements too).

In terms of free skating, I'd say Petkevich and Ron Shaver of Canada were the best free skaters of the 1970s without world medals.