PDA

View Full Version : Is It Appropriate or Necessary to Apologize for Spam Email

FiveRinger
04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
My email account was hacked into....and my email account was sending all kinds of horrible emails to those people in my contacts. Some of them professional contacts; some of them were not. Anyway, hopefully, I have managed to fix the problem, but I feel so bad that I erroneously sent out all of this trash. Is it necessary to send an email apologizing to all of those folks who received emails? They were really offensive, nothing that I would have ever done in this life or any other, and I am horrified that my name is attached to them.

I have been researching this on the internet and I am more confused now than ever. There are some who say not to address it, to ignore it because you don't want to make people remember. And there are others who say to do so. If I do apologize, what would I say? I just feel so bad about the whole thing. I just want to feel better about it.

Has anyone else had this expereince, and if so, how did you handle it?

Skittl1321
04-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I have often received emails, both to my personal and professional accounts apologizing for spam.

"I am sorry if you received any unwanted email from me. My account was hacked, and I did not intend for any of that to be sent. If you have not yet opened recent email from me with suspicious subject lines, please delete it. Do not click on any links. Please accept my apologies, I have updated my passwords in hopes that this will not happen again."

That sort of thing.

But I don't think it is a problem if you ignore it either.
You might want to resend anything that was really important in case someone did delete all your emails after receiving some spam.

Aceon6
04-03-2012, 06:27 PM
It's happened to me and I've sent an email as soon as I discovered the problem. I followed up with another email once I was certain my machine was clean.

genevieve
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Anyway, hopefully, I have managed to fix the problem, but I feel so bad that I erroneously sent out all of this trash. Is it necessary to send an email apologizing to all of those folks who received emails?
Not exactly necessary, but I would do it - a lot of times hacks happen to old, neglected/abandoned email accounts. Sending out an acknowledgment to your contacts lets them know that 1) you know it happened 2) you've fixed the problem and 3) you're still using that account. Otherwise, you may end up with people blocking your email address.

I wouldn't send a long or verbose message - just a simple "my account was hacked, please don't click on the link, sorry for the spam" type of thing.

ETA - others were posting while I was typing - Skittl1321 has a good script for an email to send

MacMadame
04-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I think it's good to send an apology so that (a) people know you didn't send those emails and (b) people know you've addressed the problem and it shouldn't happen again.

FiveRinger
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
I want to wait about 24 hrs before I send anything just to make sure that everything is ok.....it would be a bigger problem if it wasn't and I sent an email prematurely. I've changed all of my passwords, so hopefully it won't happen again and I've cleaned my files.

genevieve
04-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I think sending an email as soon as you realized it's happened is the best option

FiveRinger
04-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I think sending an email as soon as you realized it's happened is the best option

What you said.....I sent it just a little bit ago. Thanks again for all of your help! I feel better now.