PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Reynolds: "Plan B" Worked

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

overedge
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Does anyone else have a different definition of "Plan B" when you read the title of this thread? I just can't help thinking perhaps it should be in PI. :D

Sorry, I did not think of that when I took the thread title from the text of the story.
Since Kevin was concentrating on the competition and on skating while in France, I suspect he didn't get involved in anything to do with the *other* Plan B :lol:

Ziggy
04-04-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry she may be a nice woman and her students seem incredibly loyal but it's time. He's made good improvements but he needs more a whole new fresh approach and a different perspective if he's ever gonna have a chance to be near the top.

She doesn't seem very nice from what very little info we get, to be honest. :P

What really bothers me is the total delusion you can sometimes see coming out from her or her students' mouths (like in the linked interview).

It's good to believe in yourself but it's also good to be self-aware.

The "it's the judges'/bad ice's/Mercury's casting bad field over the moon fault" attitude is not particularly constructive.

mag
04-04-2012, 01:22 AM
This may be a strange question, but is there anyway a coach can hold onto a student who wants to leave? Kevin seems relatively intelligent, I think his family is quite supportive, so why does he stay? Surely he must realize that a change is needed. It is all so frustrating because I think he is talented and hardworking. He should be getting better results. What a waste!

clarie
04-04-2012, 01:47 AM
I'd like to see what Brian Orser could do with him. It's time for him to move on if he wants to get into the last flights.

sequins
04-04-2012, 03:24 AM
She doesn't seem very nice from what very little info we get, to be honest. :P

What really bothers me is the total delusion you can sometimes see coming out from her or her students' mouths (like in the linked interview).

To be honest she doesn't seem particularly 'nice' to me either from what I've seen but I don't want to judge, I don't know her. But I do not for the life of me get what all these students see in her that they spend their whole career under her guidance. Sandhu, Leung, now Reynolds and Ten, who I'm so relieved to hear might actually leave. IMO he is so talented, he needs to be seen & he has so much to offer. Under this coach he will remain virtually invisible and forgotten. I mean skaters change coaches all the timw I just don't get it? So if anyone has any insite into this 'hold' she has over them I'd be interested to know. Maybe she does have them so delusional they just think it's all the judges and everyone elses fault.

Oh and I agree about Brian Orser.

manhn
04-04-2012, 03:30 AM
All but Sandhu are from the Vancouver area. Skating is an extremely expensive sport. It's easy to tell skaters to move and switch coaches, but sometimes there are personal factors that fans are not privy to.

Granted, they could switch to other folks in the Vancouver area. But in terms of singles, McLeod is easily the biggest "name."

mag
04-04-2012, 05:35 AM
..Granted, they could switch to other folks in the Vancouver area. But in terms of singles, McLeod is easily the biggest "name."

Both Connaught and Coquitlam have great programs. Keegan Murphy at Connaught coaches the reigning Jr. Men's champion Mitchell Gordon, and there are a number of senior men in Coquitlam including, I think, Bela Papp. Liam Firus trains with Lorna Bauer at the Vancouver Skating Club, but I don't think there are many, if any, other competitive skaters there. Anyway, there are options in the Vancouver area. But these are adults who need to decide if they really want a shot at the big time. If they do, they may need to take on the inconvenience of a move. Heck, Ashely Wagner moved all the way across the US for a coaching change - seemed to work for her!

spikydurian
04-04-2012, 11:41 AM
that picture of Kevin :eek:
For a moment he looked armless
:lol: Me 2.

euterpe
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Kevin did do two quads in his FS: 4S to start (and it was not UR), and later in the program he did a 4T+2T. But he doubled his solo 4T attempt, URd his one 3A (he doubled the axel in the combo) and URd the 3T in his 3S combo.

He URd the 4S in the SP, but completely rotated the 3A.

His main technical problem seems to be URs. If his coach is in denial about the URs, then he definitely needs a coaching change.

At least he got a haircut!

judgejudy27
04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
To be honest I think he has already maximized his potential. He has an impressive ability to spin quickly which allows him to do some hard jumps, but even his jumps are small and with not very good technique. He will never be a great artist or basic skater no matter how much work he does, or who he is coached by. He isnt a great natural talent, except for his quick spin ability in the air.

JasperBoy
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I think it is essential that Kevin continue to have Shae Lynn do his choreography. She has tapped into his musicality and temperament, and can give him routines that he can express and enjoy.
Moving to Brian O will put him in with David Wilson. Much as I admire DW, I don't think he is the right choreographer for Kevin. And to be honest, Brian's skaters didn't do as well as I expected this year.

apatinar
04-05-2012, 04:13 AM
To be honest I think he has already maximized his potential. He has an impressive ability to spin quickly which allows him to do some hard jumps, but even his jumps are small and with not very good technique. He will never be a great artist or basic skater no matter how much work he does, or who he is coached by. He isnt a great natural talent, except for his quick spin ability in the air.

agreed.. that Tim Goebel , narrow hipped body type is just not cutting it anymore with this new system.. Let's face it- some natural body types are just not suited for the higher levels of skating to make it look aesthetically pleasing.. i.e. Rachel Flatt..

aemeraldrainc
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Per his FB, Kevin will be going to the World Team Trophy in Tokyo.
Looking forward to it!

As far as the coach situation, I don't know how feasible, financial wise, it would be but it would be interesting to see him go to Brian Orser. I'd like to see how much he could improve with that coaching team. (I know Javi considers Tracy Wilson, DW,etc. part of his coaching team so I figure it would be the same for all of Orser's students.)

How far away is Toronto from Vancouver?

Now, on the matter of actually convincing him to leave McLeod.....Frustrating!

Jammers
04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Amazing that Canada has three spots for Worlds next year when their second best skater finishes 12th at Worlds. :eek:

Ziggy
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
His main technical problem seems to be URs. If his coach is in denial about the URs, then he definitely needs a coaching change.

His main technical problem is his jumping technique being :yikes:.

<s are just a symptom of it.

Whilst it's unrealistic to expect him to have Plushenko-quality jumps, it is realistic to expect some improvement on his technique.

Has there been any over the last few years? I haven't noticed.

Amazing that Canada has three spots for Worlds next year when their second best skater finishes 12th at Worlds. :eek:

It's how the system has worked for years now.

1+12 = 13, there's nothing amazing about it. :P