PDA

View Full Version : What does Takahashi need to do?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Macassar88
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
He needs to conquer more than 6 inches.

Or maybe a Judge's six inches...

os168
04-05-2012, 12:05 AM

Dragonlady
04-05-2012, 12:25 AM
I can think of other aspects of Contesti and Verner's physical appearance to distract me from their less than stellar skating than their hair.

indicatoto101
04-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Or maybe a Judge's six inches...

:lol:

I think Daisuke is past his prime (unfortunately) and cannot improve technically to beat Chan on that mark. The judges seem to favor Chan's interpretation and programs so Daisuke isn't beating him on the second mark either. Unless the judges are brainwashed, I dont' see Daisuke ever beating a decent skate from Chan.

Macassar88
04-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Two words: Tonya Harding...

Fozzie Bear
04-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Takahashi is 26 years old. His jumps are not going to get any better.
:confused: And yet over the past two seasons his jumps have been getting better.

I really hope he works with Schoenfelder again this summer.

A judge
04-05-2012, 03:02 AM
:confused: And yet over the past two seasons his jumps have been getting better.

I really hope he works with Schoenfelder again this summer.

We shall see. I really feel that he has reached his peak jump wise.

vodkashot
04-05-2012, 03:51 AM
We shall see. I really feel that he has reached his peak jump wise.

I'm tempted to say the same, but then again, Daisuke's success rate with his quad about two seasons ago (i.e. Olympic season) was basically zero in competition. This season, if I recall correctly, he's landed proper 3 quads in competition (I'm counting the 4T in his Worlds SP as clean, and although he 2footed the one in his Worlds LP, he got full credit and positive GOE overall so I'm counting that one too). Maybe this upward trend will continue next season.....

Other things Daisuke can consider doing:

1) Keep his SP from this season. Personally, I think it's the better of his two programs this season (and the judges seem to agree if the PCS is any indication) and he can really work on nailing the quad in the SP instead of learning more new choreography, etc

2) Firmly establish himself as the Japanese #1 man for more rep points. In this vein, he really needs to deal with Yuzuru Hanyu, who is looking more and more dangerous every season. Daisuke really needs to either a) get his quads solid so he can keep up TES-wise, or b) hire some goons to club Yuzuru's knee. I suggest a), but YMMV.

3) Return to France this summer and continue working with Schoenfelder on his SS again.

Zemgirl
04-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Other things Daisuke can consider doing:

1) Keep his SP from this season. Personally, I think it's the better of his two programs this season (and the judges seem to agree if the PCS is any indication) and he can really work on nailing the quad in the SP instead of learning more new choreography, etc

2) Firmly establish himself as the Japanese #1 man for more rep points. In this vein, he really needs to deal with Yuzuru Hanyu, who is looking more and more dangerous every season. Daisuke really needs to either a) get his quads solid so he can keep up TES-wise, or b) hire some goons to club Yuzuru's knee. I suggest a), but YMMV.

3) Return to France this summer and continue working with Schoenfelder on his SS again.
I would love for Takahashi to keep his SP, which is wonderful, but he doesn't often recycle programs, does he?

I don't know if he'll ever have a consistent quad again - it's now been, what, three years since he came back to the ice after the injury, and he's still dealing with getting the consistency back on it. I guess he'll just have to decide when and how often to take the risk.

IIRC, in one of the press conferences at 2010 Worlds, Takahashi said he'd have to continue working hard because there were so many good juniors coming up, specifically mentioning Hanyu. I don't see him turning to criminal pursuits to deal with this threat, though :lol:

briancoogaert
04-05-2012, 09:48 AM
He needs to workd on skating skills to maintain the edge a little longer. He has everything and would have been multiple times World Champion without Patrick Chan being here. But Patrick Chan is here. ;)

Rock2
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I think he can get there. Skating needs stars and one of them is certainly Daisuke. I'm cool with him winning but he has to do it legitimately. I'd like to see him use more interesting and varied musical interpretation and do the biggest thing that Patrick does: maximize the difficulty of the in betweens. I don't skate but I understand the edge pushing, turns and high low movements take quite a bit out of skaters, so you need to be not only skilled but super fit. My understanding is this is why many top skaters don't do this stuff...because they can't. Doesn't leave enough energy to do the jumps.

Anyway I'm glad people took my post positively. Dai does many things very well, just not as well as Patrick according to CoP.

I know he has very good edges but I wonder about his overall skating skills.
Check the transitional turns he attempted at 3:02 mark of the Japan Open. Turning clockwise on his right foot. Did it badly. A few more turns and he might have gone down. This move subsequently was pulled from the program and replaced by essentially nothing. Leaves me wondering what he's actually able to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8G3fo8Lzow

Marco
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Takahashi beats Chan on spins because he does spins with a higher base value and gets +GOE on top of that, for a higher total spin score. If Chan can do higher valued spins and get the same GOE, then he should. Takahashi and Kozuka are both brilliant at selecting spins that have the highest base values, then getting level 4's and +GOE on them.

That spin was a planned level 4 spin. He messed up the camel at this particular skate causing the spin to be downgraded. Doesn't mean he is capable of doing a level 4 flying combo spin. In fact, despite the messed up camel, he still got higher GOEs than Takahashi on that particular element.

judgejudy27
04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
He needs to workd on skating skills to maintain the edge a little longer. He has everything and would have been multiple times World Champion without Patrick Chan being here. But Patrick Chan is here. ;)

Hardly on both counts. Takahashi was never a dominant skater. His one and only time coming 2nd to Chan at a Worlds he was only 3rd in both the SP and LP. Chan has only won Worlds twice himself, you talk about him as if he is some all time great, but he has achieved less than skaters Lysacek or Lambiel so far.

floskate
04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Hardly on both counts. Takahashi was never a dominant skater. His one and only time coming 2nd to Chan at a Worlds he was only 3rd in both the SP and LP. Chan has only won Worlds twice himself, you talk about him as if he is some all time great, but he has achieved less than skaters Lysacek or Lambiel so far.

For someone who likes to throw medal statistics to defend arguments, this one doesn't stand up too well. Other than an Olympic medal of which Lambiel has one from 3 attempts and Lysacek one (albeit the OGM) from two attempts, Chan pretty much trumps both in terms of medals won and certainly his two silvers and two golds in the last 4 worlds is a better record than either skater. Plus he's the WR holder for SP, LP and combined score under IJS - scores which far outstrip anything Lambiel or Lysacek ever achieved. If Chan is destined to win a medal at the Olympics, it will happen in Sochi.

Rock2 - Excellent posts in this thread. Some sanity amidst the madness :respec:

manleywoman
04-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Aren't you forgetting a few World medals (titles) for Lambiel? :)