PDA

View Full Version : What does Takahashi need to do?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

maureenfarone
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
It is clear to me that what Dai needs is legs that have never been injured :shuffle:.

Love Dai but don't really think he can put a 4/3 in SP or even the FS. No matter what he does he will always have to overcome the serious injury/surgery/season out.

Patrick is amazing and I enjoy watching him but I simply don't feel the emotion from him like I do from Dai. This doesn't mean that others don't feel the passion in Patrick's performance, just that I don't.

sadya
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I think if Chan becomes better in the emotion department he will be unbeatable, even by Takahashi or Hanyu. This year I would have liked to see Takahashi win, but Chan is improving each year and if in 2013 he comes across as more genuine as far as what he tries to portray on the ice, I don't think anyone will be able to beat him.

At this moment I mostly enjoy watching Takahashi more, be it competition or exhibition. It's amazing how he recovered from surgeries and injuries and whatnot, perhaps that's why there is so much joy and emotion shining through him when he skates, just realising how lucky he is to be back in form on the ice.

I'm alreadly looking forward to next season's competitions.

RumbleFish
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Skate better and jump higher than Chan, pure and simple.

FunnyBut
04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I was just watching Chan's and Takahashi's exhibition skates last night and thought to myself: Takahashi is the better performer / artist but Chan is definitely the better skater. Takahashi is effortless in his expressions and Chan is effortless in his glides..

Very well said. And I would add that judges value skating skills more than artistry/performance. No one is going to beat Chan or Kostner with comparable technical content. Both Chan and Kostner also have excellent in-betweens to show off their superior skating skills. A skater is going to have to signficantly exceed them technically to beat them. With Kostner , that's quite doable, but Chan controls his own destiny.

bek
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I think if Chan becomes better in the emotion department he will be unbeatable, even by Takahashi or Hanyu. This year I would have liked to see Takahashi win, but Chan is improving each year and if in 2013 he comes across as more genuine as far as what he tries to portray on the ice, I don't think anyone will be able to beat him.

At this moment I mostly enjoy watching Takahashi more, be it competition or exhibition. It's amazing how he recovered from surgeries and injuries and whatnot, perhaps that's why there is so much joy and emotion shining through him when he skates, just realising how lucky he is to be back in form on the ice.

I'm alreadly looking forward to next season's competitions.

I think its hard to know who will or won't be untouchable. Hanyu is reportedly talking about adding a quad sal to both programs, if he does that very well could be a game changer. He'll be 19 in Sochi probably at the peak of his jumping abilities.

Frau Muller
04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Skating-wise, he just needs to skate as beautifully as he does now. Politiks-wise, he needs to take some advise from Piseev on how those sekret Alfa Bank wire transfers to the ISU tech panels work (although Piseev's own transfers didn't work as planned after 2012 Euros).

wonderlen
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Eh, besides QUADS, he needs better SPEED, better SKATING SKILL, better EDGES, better TRANSITIONS, better CHOREOGRAPHY, better PROGRAM to show off his skill and body line, better STYLE, more COMPLEX FOOTWORK...

YES. YES. MAYBE. MAYBE. HELL NO. ARE U KIDDING?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If anything, Takahashi should be rewarded for taking risk and showing complex program and choreography. Name how many skaters has diverse programs throughout their skating career as much as Dai??? same old same old stuffs for other skater(s). What next for PChan? Carmen?? :scream:

wonderlen
04-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe Dai should sent a boat load of sushi to the Chan's minions for life. After all, Japan doesn't produce maple syrup to sugar load the judges!! LOL

The thing is figure skating is still old school and judges still want to see same old same old programs done to death by skaters. If skater try to push the boundary, they are no properly rewarded as they should. Only real weakness Dai has is not having consistent quad. But given his past injury and his age, you got give him a break.

Rock2
04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
In FS, Chan was clearly behind the music, and even he admitted that in an interview and said probably that was why he fell and missed the 2A. He got one point of deduction for time violation because he couldn't finish his performance with the music. Yet, he received more points in IN than Takahashi, who was in perfect tune with the music from the first to the last note.

So, what does Takahashi need to do?

He's not far off. If he has 1-2 consistent quads in short and long that's most of it. He does two 3As so that helps.

Blues for Klook is a great piece of music and I don't think judges hate it. My problem with that music is that it is so dense in terms of content and phrasing it's hard to interpret it perfectly without exhausting yourself in the program. As a result, I feel that Dai didn't use half the notes and phrases and skated through a lot of it without acknowledging many of the musical nuances...or not interpreting them well enough. To me that's why IN is a bit back. He was emotionally invested but didn't interpret all that the music brought to the table.

Rodrigo on the other hand, while being slightly overused now is very even paced and allowed Lori and Patrick to use pretty much every note and phrase, thus the higher marks IMHO.

No one can rightfully touch Patrick right now in SS but Dai can get close. He has to make it up in other areas.

NMURA
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Takahashi needs to be the clear Japan's #1 and the legitimate rival of Patrick Chan in the judges' eyes. That never happens as long as Hanyu is there. Takahashi's best effort can't beat Hanyu with a fall. Probably Hanyu is the only man who can beat Chan with two errors now. The margin of error will be reduced to one in next season. He is 9 years youger than Takahashi. The age difference is almost same with Arakawa and Asada. I think Takahashi should retire IF he cares about winning. A world silver is good enough for a glorious closing. Jeffrey Buttle had made a wise choice.

Cheylana
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Blues for Klook is a great piece of music and I don't think judges hate it. My problem with that music is that it is so dense in terms of content and phrasing it's hard to interpret it perfectly without exhausting yourself in the program. As a result, I feel that Dai didn't use half the notes and phrases and skated through a lot of it without acknowledging many of the musical nuances...or not interpreting them well enough. To me that's why IN is a bit back. He was emotionally invested but didn't interpret all that the music brought to the table.

Rodrigo on the other hand, while being slightly overused now is very even paced and allowed Lori and Patrick to use pretty much every note and phrase, thus the higher marks IMHO.
So in other words Dai was punished for using more challenging music and he should stick to grossly overused warhorses like Aranjuez? That sucks. :(

Dragonlady
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
So in other words Dai was punished for using more challenging music and he should stick to grossly overused warhorses like Aranjuez? That sucks. :(

No, he's being punished for stripping out much of the choreography which we saw in Mississauga, wherein he seemed to become the music. The version of his program we saw at Worlds was a pale shadow the program he debuted in Mississauga.

snoopysnake
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Dai needs only to skate to music he feels and to the best of his ability. If he skates clean and still does not get the color medal that he deserves, it is not because he is doing anything wrong. The performances he skates are his legacy and those are what illustrate his greatness. Daisuke's Blues for Klook is a masterpiece.

Dilng
04-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Excuse me while I vomit.

Yes me too!!!

Louis
04-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Takahashi in competition cuts the natural rideout of his jumps short. In practice his jumps are nice and clean looking but in competition he rushes his landings and they look stiff and stilted.

I think this is a very important point. A lot of the difference between Chan and Takahashi is coming from within GOE.