PDA

View Full Version : Au revoir KVDP! He calls it a career.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

manleywoman
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Despite all the haterz here who were not fans of his skating, I always loved watching him skate. He loved being there, was infectious as hell with his optimism, and dare I say he was nice to look at too? :swoon:

Bye bye Kevin! (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120402&content_id=27832816&vkey=ice_news) And well done on your last performance!

skatesindreams
04-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you, Kevin.
What a wonderful LP it was; a fitting end to a great career!

nubka
04-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I've always liked him, too. :):)

Good luck, Kevin!

MikiAndoFan#1
04-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Kevin's breathtaking quads and 3+3+3 combinations will be missed! :) I wish him the best of luck!

skatesindreams
04-03-2012, 12:10 AM
double post.

Moka-Ananas
04-03-2012, 12:12 AM
I have also always liked him :)
His Robin Hood and Pirates of the Caribbean programs will always remain in my memory.

Thank you Kevin and good luck as a coach :)

overedge
04-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I won't believe he's retiring until I don't see him at competitions next year :P

professordeb
04-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Awwwww, dang it all. Why did he have to go and age? I truly got on his bandwagon after the first time I saw him -- and I can't recall how long ago that was. Such an enthusiastic skater with little political clout behind him but it seemed he just kept going ... much like the little engine that could. As much as he has been maligned here, he will always hold a special spot in my heart as he pulled off those triple/triple/triple combos. It was a good time, Kevin. Thanks for some memorable moments. Enjoy your life with the Mrs. and here's to maybe seeing some little VDP in the future?

The Accordion
04-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I love this!

Question:
How did you absorb components then?

Van der Perren: I never did! Not that I did not want or understand, but I simply was not capable! I can do jumps without components, or I can do components without the jumps, but I cannot do both at the same time.

genevieve
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Enjoyable interview! I appreciate his frankness.

Icenetwork.com: How did you absorb components then?

Van der Perren: I never did! Not that I did not want or understand, but I simply was not capable! I can do jumps without components, or I can do components without the jumps, but I cannot do both at the same time.

You know, my first skating lesson was to learn a waltz jump, not a step! I never had strong bases to skate. I knew how to land a triple Axel before I even was aware of what a rocker and a counter were! That is just deadly to the best skater.

[snip].....Today, there is so much attention given to components. The best skater can miss his jumps, he still gets high components. The athletic aspect of the sport has decreased significantly. This was especially true just a few years ago in the ladies competition. One girl could win with only three triples. It was unbelievable!

Actually, I am glad I do not pay to see a skating event, because I would not come otherwise. What I love in skating is jumps and combinations.
(emphasis mine)

:eek: but it's all consistent with his skating style and a pretty accurate view of the changes in the sport from 6.0 to CoP.

Beefcake
04-03-2012, 01:04 AM
:respec: Props to Kevin for truly knowing who he is/was as a skater, and for seemingly not making a big wuzrobbed case on his way out.

I'll miss those buns the most. :D

smurfy
04-03-2012, 01:13 AM
I always enjoyed Kevin. Seems like he was at many of the Skate Americas I attended. There are a few skaters that I enjoyed watching their jumps and he was one of them.
Will miss him and wish him well. And I always thought Jenna was a lucky girl!

skipaway
04-03-2012, 01:30 AM
I'll miss KVP, I've always enjoyed his skating.

ioana
04-03-2012, 01:37 AM
He's always been very honest and down-to-earth in all his interviews. One of his students (junior skater Eline Anthonissen) is already making very good progress under him, so I'm sure he'll be a great coach. Best of luck to him in the future!

Rex
04-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Kevin's breathtaking quads
Yeah, and his jumps were nice too ;).

He wasn't the most artistic of skaters, but I appreciated his technical ability and his tenaciousness...and his cuteness. Bye Kevin.