PDA

View Full Version : Swimming 2012: RIP Alexander Dale Oen

Pages : [1] 2

Beefcake
04-02-2012, 03:19 AM
This may belong in the London forum (or be moved there later?); but, since it's pretty quiet there at this point, I'm dropping it here, where more eyeballs are peeled.

The Indy Grand Prix (www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/michael-phelps-thrives-while-ryan-lochte-labors-at-indianapolis-grand-prix-swimming-meet/2012/03/31/gIQA4F19nS_story.html) finished up this weekend. Many of the USA's expected Oly multiple-medal threats (including my big girl Missy! :D) were there, along with a handful of international contenders.

Of course, the media's (and my) focus was on the sports two biggest stars ...

Phelps had a pretty good week, and surprised most by swimming (well) the 400IM ... the race MP famously said he'd never do again. Rowdy Gaines says "who knows, he may yet try it again in London."

Lochte was pretty slow in all of his races, and failed to qualify for two finals. Interesting, but this almost certainly doesn't mean anything, as Ryan knows how to pace his training for a "perfect" Olympic Trials sub-peak / London Olympics peak.

Still ... :watch: something to talk about.

:sekret: Nobody has a freeride to the Olympics at the 200 free ... USA has some deep competition there.

Theatregirl1122
04-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah, Ryan is always pretty slow in the spring. Can't wait for trials and the Olympics!

Fridge_Break
04-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Anyone know if Dara Torres is going to try to make a run for London?

Beefcake
04-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Yes, she is. She was to race the 50 free at Indy (I didn't see/read about her race) ... aaaand

... according to Rowdy, Dara says that this will be her only race at Trials.

Gazpacho
04-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes, she is. She was to race the 50 free at Indy (I didn't see/read about her race) ... aaaand

... according to Rowdy, Dara says that this will be her only race at Trials.:cheer2: Way to go Dara! I've admired Dara ever since she interrupted her own warm-up routine in order to notify the officials that another swimmer was having trouble with her swimsuit. No one else in the race was as considerate, and some may even have been happy to see an opponent have trouble.

Has anyone swimmer ever made 6 Olympics? Has anyone other than Dara ever made it to 5 Olympics, for that matter?

AragornElessar
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
This past weekend was Canada's trials, but w/Worlds on, my attention was elsewhere.

One very special thing about them though. For the very first time, and from now on AFAIK, the Olympic *and* Paralympic Trials were held together. Love that and I hope the other sports that have representation in both Games follow suit when and if possible.

One thing I did see and hear and HATED though? They're already putting out they want to beat the medal count Canada got at the 84 LA Games and it's doable.

I'm sorry, but did these people not pay attention at the Commonwealth Games? Where we came away w/our lowest medal haul out of the pool? And that w/out the USA being there?

Not sure what's worse, Swimming Canada being so deluisional or the fact the ordinary people unlike us who only follow Swimming once every four years are going to actually believe them. :(

AYS
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Phelps had a pretty good week, and surprised most by swimming (well) the 400IM ... the race MP famously said he'd never do again. Rowdy Gaines says "who knows, he may yet try it again in London."

Lochte was pretty slow in all of his races, and failed to qualify for two finals. Interesting, but this almost certainly doesn't mean anything, as Ryan knows how to pace his training for a "perfect" Olympic Trials sub-peak / London Olympics peak.
I would so love to see Michael swim the 400IM this last time, and by all appearances he'd have a good chance to win it but even just this past week (after he swam it at Indy), Bowman was quoted saying it's not in the plan, he was swimming it for training purposes. But I'm still hoping.

Yep, typical for Ryan in deep training, I'm sure he'll be right there come trials/London.

Women's 100back at trials is going to be verrrrrry interesting. I'm sure Natalie will have no trouble making the team in general, probably for 100 back and even if not 100free individually (though her chances are good for that as well), definitely relay, but she's going to have her hands very, very full with Missy in the 100back, I think.

So many of the women's events are intriguing and wide open for US trials.

On the int'l note, based on Aus trials, looks like Stephanie Rice is rounding into excellent shape in the IMs after surgery last year.

FSfan107
04-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Has anyone read Amanda Beard's memoir that just came out? The review done by Aunt Joyce has me interested in the book: http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2012/04/in-water-they-cant-see-you-cry-book.html

I haven't been following swimming that closely but will be leading up the Olympics. Has Beard competed recently or since the 2008 Olympics?

Braulio
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Chinese and Japanese nationals (also serving as olympic qualifiers) took part this april so I will post this highlight to bump the thread :)

Highlights in China:
- Wu Peng OUT (Silver medal at 200 fly in Beijing behind Phelps)
- 15 year old Xin Xing taking the womens 800 free in 8:22.76 and she also qualifies in the 400 free with 4:05.93
- Yi Tang 53.71 in the womenīs 100 freestyle
- Shiwen Ye posted an impressive 2.09.43 to take the 200m IM
- Current 200m butterfly olympic champion, Zige Liu, third and well behind the top 2 on the event and she is in doubt for London, pending some desitions to be taken.

Japanese Championships
- Kosuke Kitajima starting to make his bid for a third gold medal performance, impressive times taking the 100m breast in 58.90 and the 200m breast in 2.08.00 but followed closely by Rio Tateishi in 2.08.17, this event could meant a 1-2 at the Olympics for the japanese but itīs clear that Kitajima is en route for a 5th individual gold medal and a three-peat

- Ryosuke Irie (100m backstroke) 52.91, second best mark of the year in the world
- Natsumi Hoshi taking the womenīs 200m butterfly with a 2.04.69, very fast time
- Aya Terakawa National Record with 59.10 to take the womenīs 100m backstroke
- Satomi Suzuki 2:22.99 wining the 200m breaststroke

SmallFairy
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Norwegian news just released the terrible news that our top swimmer Alexander Dale Oen was found dead in the shower this morning (last night Arizona time, that's where he was training).
The doctors tried everything, but nothing could be done. No one knows yet what happened, he didn't train particularly hard that day and everything seemed perfectly normal.

I'm beyond sad:( he was such a great guy, and a great swimmer. How terrible for his family and our small swimming community.
Rest in peace Alexander!

gingercrush
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Norwegian news just released the terrible news that our top swimmer Alexander Dale Oen was found dead in the shower this morning (last night Arizona time, that's where he was training).
The doctors tried everything, but nothing could be done. No one knows yet what happened, he didn't train particularly hard that day and everything seemed perfectly normal.

I'm beyond sad:( he was such a great guy, and a great swimmer. How terrible for his family and our small swimming community.
Rest in peace Alexander!

OH wow. That is so sad. RIP Alexander Dale Oen.

Domshabfan
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Rest in peace Alexander!

This is such a terrible news, RIP Dale Oen:(. 100m breaststroke final would have been so interesting with him and Kitajima.

AYS
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I haven't been following swimming that closely but will be leading up the Olympics. Has Beard competed recently or since the 2008 Olympics?
Yes, she's been doing Grand Prix events this season, and has seemed to be in decent form (though not near Soni's level). ETA: And also competed over last couple of years, including some int'l competition representing the US.

Chinese and Japanese nationals (also serving as olympic qualifiers) took part this april so I will post this highlight to bump the thread :)

Highlights in China:
- Wu Peng OUT (Silver medal at 200 fly in Beijing behind Phelps)

:eek: Really surprised, as he's performed very well in this "inter" Olympiad period.

This is awful, so sorry to hear this. :(

Buzz
05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Another young athlete drops dead under mysterious circumstances. Maybe it is time to test athletes for heart conditions. Such a promising and talented young man and my thoughts go out to Mr. Oen's family and friends. R.I.P.

Beefcake
05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
OMG! What a tragedy on all counts ... so young, a top athlete seemingly in perfect health, so far from his family. :(

And, yes, a loss to the sport. Oen was a true contender, and thisclose to prospective Olympic glory. Wow, this seems unreal.