PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Adam

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

lily
04-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Wasn't Adam better with Orser?

foreverkwanfan
04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
He needs to develop more power. Without more power he isn't going to get the PCS and 3axels (and quads).

His current 3axel set up hurts my soul.

I know what you mean, I always yell at the screen "Just do it already!"

As Scott Hamilton says, he stalks the 3 axel. He needs to put a lot more power into it and just attack the hell out of it.

Marco
04-02-2012, 08:28 AM
I know what you mean, I always yell at the screen "Just do it already!"

As Scott Hamilton says, he stalks the 3 axel. He needs to put a lot more power into it and just attack the hell out of it.

It's worse than Lavrenchuk's 3loop.

Sulphur
04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Speed.

Agree with both. I think Orser helped him to get more speed on his skating.

Still, I believe he can do so much more. He's not too old for a male skater and has plenty of potential.

Jaana
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Already some time ago I got the impression that Rippon might not be a very coachable person. I think that if one pays for a really good coach, one should listen to the advise of that coach and do exactly what he/she says. If that does not give good success at competitions, maybe some other career would be more suitable? On the other hand everyone cannot be the winner, and if one is happy for "just skating oneīs best", and that brings one the possibility to compete at Worlds, maybe the current level is not very high in oneīs country?

About Ripponīs hair, to me it looks like the behind of a lamb, which has managed to miss the shearing season.

Iceman
04-02-2012, 02:26 PM
He needs the off ice training Orser wanted him to do, but Adam, I understand, balked at.

Rob
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Next season Johnny and Evan return......

Never thought i'd be keeping my fingers crossed for that, but I am!

pinky166
04-02-2012, 02:59 PM

It started out that way, but by the end of their partnership, no, he was skating worse than he was this season. Anyways, the issue with Adam is simply his jumps, his results and scores this season show that his score ceiling without a solid 3a or quad is around 220 points. That's not terrible, but it's not going to make him competitive with the best. Everything else in Adam's skating is just fine, good even, but his scores and even PCS won't improve until he gets the jump down. He needs to find a way to get either the 3a or the 4s (ideally both) pretty rock solid if he wants to do better, currently he's just giving too many points away by falling and way underrotating his 4s and having issues with the landings of his 3a, which is not of good quality to begin with (even when cleanly landed, the GOE should be 0 to -1 IMO). If he can fix these things, he will do well, but if he can't, he's not going anywhere and is unlikely to make another World team.

reese
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I bet you anything Adam gets a new coach this summer. That's just the way he handles setbacks...

And, FWIW, he is nowhere close to landing a quad. It's silly that Jason even let him put in the program this year.

Cheylana
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
He needs the off ice training Orser wanted him to do, but Adam, I understand, balked at.
Really??? Isn't off-ice training standard for skaters?

fan
04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Really??? Isn't off-ice training standard for skaters?

i think he needs to put on more muscle. i've seen him numerous times in person, before/after training. he is extremely thin, much more so than others (abbott/buttle are thin too, but adam looks painful). perhaps more off ice weight lifting/small amounts of muscle gaining will help him get the explosiveness he needs for the 3axel/quad.

aliceanne
04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I always get slammed for bringing this up, but Jeremy, Adam, and Alissa all look physically fragile to me. I know fat doesn't fly, but skating a 4 minute + program requires strength and endurance, it's not ballet or gymnastics. Maybe if they worked on their off-ice fitness they would do better? The nerves and adrenaline that go with competition can really sap your energy. Also program run throughs throughout the season take a toll on your muscles, especially when you are doing the same program over and over.

I know Meryl and Evan are extremely thin, but whatever diet/fitness regimen they have seems to work for them.

Of course, Evan and Meryl also seem to be internally motivated, while Adam and Alissa always seem to be looking to their coach for reinforcement. Not much you can do about that.

Rock2
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I hear lots of comments about speed and power and off ice regimen. I, too, have heard that Adam has some sort of training commitment issues.
It's tough to find the right amount of size/weight to ensure you have the right combo of power, strength and that sinewy body that turns so well in the air.

Training problems aside I don't think he has the best body for skating. Thinner on top, yes, but lots of junk in the trunk, as it were. His stroking and jumping looks labored. Just seems he needs improvements in diet and/or fitness and/or body shaping to optimize his performance. But without knowing what he has done in the past, hard to know what specifically he needs.

Skating is in this strange little place right now where few are dominating and at both the national and international level you can mix and match 6-12 entries in your picks for the podium. We could see Adam as the national champ next year just as easily as he could be 9th. So he, like many, will need a good off-season plan.

arakwafan2006
04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I always get slammed for bringing this up, but Jeremy, Adam, and Alissa all look physically fragile to me. I know fat doesn't fly, but skating a 4 minute + program requires strength and endurance, it's not ballet or gymnastics. Maybe if they worked on their off-ice fitness they would do better? The nerves and adrenaline that go with competition can really sap your energy. Also program run throughs throughout the season take a toll on your muscles, especially when you are doing the same program over and over.

I know Meryl and Evan are extremely thin, but whatever diet/fitness regimen they have seems to work for them.

Of course, Evan and Meryl also seem to be internally motivated, while Adam and Alissa always seem to be looking to their coach for reinforcement. Not much you can do about that.

I see a really weird dependancy issue with the Detroit based skaters and their coaches as well. Its like Jason reaffirms his validity as a coach by his relationship with his skaters. weird.

kwanfan1818
04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
And, FWIW, he is nowhere close to landing a quad. It's silly that Jason even let him put in the program this year.

Is this based on the percentage that Rippon lands the quad in practice?