PDA

View Full Version : Chan makes Canada top figure skating nation

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sugar
04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Chan makes Canada top figure skating nation
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/287000/chan-makes-canada-top-figure-skating-nation
"Our sport is like a wave, and here, we've risen very high," said Chan.
"Worlds next year in London will be even crazier (than Nice), or Sochi then for the Russians," he said. The son of Hong Kong immigrants who settled in Ottawa, Ontario, Chan blamed "lack of maturity" for his fifth place in Vancouver, and warned that he was getting even better.
"Now when I skate I forget everything, I'm free."

Really
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh, Sugar, you do like to stir up a shitstorm, don't you?

michiruwater
04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I think Virtue & Moir might help a little, too.

Iceman
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Until Canada gets another serious female contender, top status is not justified imo.
In fact, with the loss of a Rochette, Canada has taken a step backward since the last Olys, not forward.

DimaToe
04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Until Canada gets another serious female contender, top status is not justified imo.
In fact, with the loss of a Rochette, Canada has taken a step backward since the last Olys, not forward.

Agreed, Canada might have been the only country to get two gold medals in Nice, but when it comes to being the "top" figure skating nation, I think that might belong to Japan for the the time being.They earned for 4 medals in 3 disciplines, which hadn't been done in 7 years.

Jammers
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah plus they better hope that Chan doesn't get hurt because there is about as much depth in Men's skating in Canada as the Canadian ladies.

pair mom
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
But 1/2 of Japan's bronze in pairs is a very proud Canadian! ;)

Skate Talker
04-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Canada had a much better "top nation" in Goteburg with good placements in all 4 disciplines, if they ever did. Ah well.

michiruwater
04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I agree that Japan is quite clearly the top figure skating nation right now, despite their absolutely dismal quality in ice dance.

Vash01
04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Canada is very weak in ladies
Japan is very weak in ice dance
Russia is very weak in men

IMO this is a three-way tie between the top 3 nations.

USA has too many weaknesses (strong in ice dance only).

Stephanie
04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Canada is very weak in ladies
Japan is very weak in ice dance
Russia is very weak in men

IMO this is a three-way tie between the top 3 nations.

USA has too many weaknesses (strong in ice dance only).

I disagree. The Russians have Plushenko, the European champ, plus Gachinski who won the bronze last year and just had a really bad meet this time around. I'd rank the Russians first overall.

Beefcake
04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Got to agree with Stephanie. With Plushenko in the mix, Russia the clear #1. (Without him, it gets a little cloudier.) #2 and #3 are debatable between USA (with tons of talent depth, albeit less so in pairs, but recent debilitating "competing" problems) and Canada (with the World's winner in two disciplines, but awful in ladies, and depth problems in men's).

I agree that Japan is quite clearly the top figure skating nation right now, despite their absolutely dismal quality in ice dance.
In my book, Japan cannot be considered "#1" when it's best dance team didn't make the FD, and it's got zero depth at pairs. Even with T&T's great Worlds, they're just as capable of being 11th. It was a great perfect storm for T&T ... great moment, but all the stars had to align. Remember, just a few weeks ago, T&T were only 5th at 4CC, behind four teams they beat at Worlds.

Vash01
04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I am not convinced that Plushenko can come back healthy enough to be competing for the podium. He has to go through extensive rehab after surgeries, and he is older. We don't know yet if he will be in competition shape next year so I am not counting him in the equation. With Gachinski's meltdown this year- it could be an aberration, and only time will tell us- Russia suddenly appears very weak in the mens field, with just one spot at the next worlds.

ks1227
04-01-2012, 09:52 PM
You know, reading that article, I'm inclined to think that it's impossible to say which nation is #1, #2, etc. in figure skating. This is not just because nations are stronger in some disciplines than others, though that is true; but also because it's very rare now for a skater's success to be linked simplistically to his or her nation. Just thinking about the Canadian skaters emphasized at the beginning of the article as examples: Chan is the son of immigrants from Hong Kong, something he is increasingly emphasizing himself; and he trains in the U.S. V&M are trained by Russians in the U.S. The bronze medalists in Pairs represent Japan, but one team member actually comes from Canada (and both of the other winning pairs teams this year are also "mixed" pairs in that sense). There's a lot of cool mixing going on. So I think the whole concept of ranking nations may be anachronistic in figure skating, even though obviously you can still count how many strong skaters represent this nation or that nation. There's too much traffic between nations in coaching, training, dual citizenship representation, etc. to pretend that medal counts really tell us very much about the strength of a nation.

Just my observation. :saint:

Beefcake
04-01-2012, 11:51 PM
There's too much traffic between nations in coaching, training, dual citizenship representation, etc. to pretend that medal counts really tell us very much about the strength of a nation.

Just my observation. :saint:
:) Of course you're correct.

:wuzrobbed :fragile: ONE :fragile: :wuzrobbed