PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I've always been a Nancy fan and I agree with you, and I'm not trying to say Scott should be pilloried or severely punished. I could probably let the remark go as something just said in the heat of the moment if he hadn't acted as though this whole event was a waste of time for him. He came off like a jerk, period.

And as I said in another thread, it's a cheesefest when your favorites don't win, but a worthwhile competition when they do...

When he was acting he didnt like this event?
Yes, he didnt like to be second, i know, but i cant see he is show, he didnt like all event.
At WCh in Nice i think he look the same. Maybe he just have some pain or something happened - who knows? He really didnt look happy this season, we must blame him for this?
Hope we let this words go and focusing on Lacost and Phanef will have clean skating and could help Canada to take bronze :D
And i am sure Megan and Eric will show good perfomance, which could help team Canada too.

skatingfan12
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=bmcg;3551772]Since you know what he was thinking can you fill us in on what they might skate to next year? What music are they listening to?

Did he really have to explicitly state that's how he felt? Body language and non-verbal cues speak much louder than words. Even before he made the comment, it was obvious he didn't want to be there, not even to support his team who he's supposed to be the leader of.

pani
04-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Did he really have to explicitly state that's how he felt? Body language and non-verbal cues speak much louder than words. Even before he made the comment, it was obvious he didn't want to be there, not even to support his team who he's supposed to be the leader of.

OMG, he didnt want to have 107 points in FD - thats all :D
They were during all competition with there team, no?

Rafter
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Wow, I'm quite shocked to hear Scott say that. I don't think he should've said it (even if he thought it) - I am a bit curious as to what he meant in particular. Whether he meant THAT particular event or just that event in general. I know they had to be talked into going by Marina. . .

Really? Is there a quote for this? I know Marina was trying to be positive about the Team Comp at the Olympics, but I haven't heard anything about them having to be talked into doing this. I suspect the $$$ at this event is too good to pass up.

bmcg
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=bmcg;3551772]Since you know what he was thinking can you fill us in on what they might skate to next year? What music are they listening to?

Before I crucify someone I personally like to have all the facts. Right now the only fact I know is that he was picked up saying he hated this event and that it was a huge gaff and he needs to learn to control his verbal thoughts.

So about the music?

Rafter
04-20-2012, 08:27 PM
It tells me that the Olympic committee takes the idea of a team event seriously, and doesn't believe it's just cheese. It also tells me that the other Federations are too cheap to throw an event like this, so they are content with having it structured in a way that favors Japan so long as the JSF foots the bill.

Hence it being a "made for Japan TV cheesefest". :shuffle:

pani
04-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Hence it being a "made for Japan TV cheesefest". :shuffle:

Dont worry - in next season Canada will have cheesefest in London :D

As for music. Look at this - ballet on Radiohead music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvMANGrvJI0

Rafter
04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
One thing I know is I'm happy I'll never have to see Funny Face again. For what it was, they skated it well and interpreted it well but to me they are capable of so much more. I really hope they skate to more audience-friendly music next year and the year after (something D&W do almost every year).

pani
04-20-2012, 08:40 PM
One thing I know is I'm happy I'll never have to see Funny Face again. For what it was, they skated it well and interpreted it well but to me they are capable of so much more. I really hope they skate to more audience-friendly music next year and the year after (something D&W do almost every year).

O, FF look great "live" and the fly across the ice again.
But yes, i will wait what will be next and hope this will be something modern and i love new FD :D

Look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-M8Wx6g_g&feature=endscreen

elle123
04-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Really? Is there a quote for this? I know Marina was trying to be positive about the Team Comp at the Olympics, but I haven't heard anything about them having to be talked into doing this. I suspect the $$$ at this event is too good to pass up.

I can't remember the exact interview. I may have confused the two events and if so, I apologize.

The reality of the situation is that it's unfortunate that the comments were caught by the camera - it makes him seem like an ungrateful jerk, when I don't think Scott is one at all.

pani
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
If tomorrow Scott will tell on camera - i love Japon, will give stading ovations to team Japon - all be OK :D

VarBar
04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Second to Belbin/Agosto.

Thanks, sap5.

From wikipedia about 2009 WTT.

"There were reports that some of the participating skaters did not wish to take part in the event. Canadian ice dancer Scott Moir was quoted as saying that although the event was fun, skaters had been pressured to attend."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_World_Team_Trophy_in_Figure_Skating

Looks like Scott doesn't care about money that much. lol

pani
04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks, sap5.

From wikipedia about 2009 WTT.

"There were reports that some of the participating skaters did not wish to take part in the event. Canadian ice dancer Scott Moir was quoted as saying that although the event was fun, skaters had been pressured to attend."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_World_Team_Trophy_in_Figure_Skating

Looks like Scott doesn't care about money that much. lol

In 2009 he said they came to WTT, because if they didnt, ISU didnt let them to skate in show.

Bournekraatzfan
04-20-2012, 09:16 PM
:D
But D-W didnt have mistakes? Just asking :)

Okay, I see what you are saying. I made a point of mentioning Tessa's stumble because it likely resulted in a deduction of 0.5 (multiplied by a factor of 1.25) in the PCS, and that is where the biggest and most surprising difference in the scores occurred. I was trying to figure out why there was such a spread in the marks, so I focussed on that part of the scores. I hadn't yet had time to write out a full analysis that includes a breakdown of the TES. I never said that D&W didn't have any mistakes, I just didn't notice any that would affect their PCS. I didn't agree with the PCS in the SD (though I did agree with D&W winning the SD) and I don't agree with the PCS in the FD. I felt that V&M were undermarked, and I wrote that in my breakdown of the SD scores as well as my second post about the PCS. Also, for the Worlds FD I did a breakdown showing why V&M should have won, even with a deduction to SS and a lower LF/M mark for the stumble (and said that V&M could have had a TES that was even higher than it was if they received a +3 for their diagonal step sequence, which I thought they deserved, but which they only received from 2 judges). V&M fully deserved to win Worlds, imo. I have made that clear numerous times.

Again, I am not claiming to be an expert. I'm just a long-time ice dance enthusiast who skates occasionally and likes to study the rules. Here is my breakdown of the scores including possible results for hypothetical scores:

I actually misread the protocols, because for some reason I thought D&W received GOEs of +2, so I thought the judges did mark them down for the last part of that twizzle (though not enough). However, you are right, 6 of the 9 judges awarded them GOEs of +3, and I don't know how/why. And upon closer inspection, I wonder if they might have been lucky to have been assessed a level 4 on those twizzles, as it looked like Charlie's twizzle turned into a three turn for what should have been the last of the four rotations required in that section, which would have cost them a level and therefore dropped their base level to a 5.00 for that element. Then, when you consider a GOE of +1, and convert using the Scale of Values, that comes out to a 0.5 in GOE. This means that element should have received 5.5 points (if assessed a level 3) or 6.5 points (if assessed a level 4), and it instead received 7.36 points. V&M's twizzles were excellent and I thought they should have received +3s for them, which only 4 of the judges gave them. The rest were +2s and a +1 (which was discarded). V&M only received 7.21 for this element, when I think they should have won it. If they received all +3s, they would have had 7.5 on this element.

And no, I don't understand why they received GOEs of only +1 from four of the judges on the diagonal step sequence. D&W received +2s and +3s on this element. The feed cut out during part of D&W's diagonal step sequence, but from what I saw, I don't understand how those four judges put V&M behind D&W on that element. Also, V&M's circular step sequence looked gorgeous to me, so I am not sure why a couple of judges only gave them +1s for it. This is another element where they lost on GOE to D&W (by 0.28).

To my untrained eye, D&W's lifts were all superb and deserving of the +3s they received...I didn't catch the problem on the last lift. Can you be more specific?

You're right, some of the GOEs (and perhaps even a level) were questionable. I still had D&W ahead in PCS, but only by 0.75 (if they were 0.25 below D&W on Skating Skills) or 1.13 (if they were tied in Skating Skills) total. This includes the deduction for Tessa's stumble.

So If D&W were given GOEs of +3, +2, +3, +3, +1, +3, +2, +3 on their elements (as listed on the protocol--I'm too lazy to write all names of the elements out), and V&M received GOEs of +2, +2, +3, +2, +2, +2, +3 on their elements (again, in the order listed on the protocol), after using the scale of values to convert the GOEs, I get the following:

D&W TES: 52
V&M TES: 52.5

I gave D&W a higher total GOE (12 to V&M's 11), but V&M got the higher base value due to the level 4 on the circular. Add that to the 0.75 or 1.13 PCS advantage that I would have given D&W (again, depending on whether we tie them on SS or give D&W a 0.25 advantage) and we get the following scenarios: If Charlie did in fact do a three turn which would result in a lost level on the twizzles (and thus a TES that is 51), then yes, I would say V&M should have won the FD (by a margin of 0.37 or 0.75, still not enough to make up the ground they lost in the SD). If not, then I would say D&W deserved to win the FD (by a margin of 0.25 or 0.63). This is all I can come up with based on what I saw. I hope that is somewhat clear.

btw, did anyone here see the event live?

ETA: I'll just include this possibility: if we were to award V&M +2 (rather than +3) for the combination lift, that means a TES of 51.5 for V&M. That would mean that V&M would love the FD even if D&W received a level 3 for their twizzles.
If we gave D&W GOEs of +2 for their twizzles (instead of +1), that would tie them with V&M on TES and they would thus win on PCS.

pani
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
I mean in rotational lift (Belbin lift) Meryl didnt have corner 180 degrees between her feets, so this could cost them level (they could have level 3).
At the begining of the season I-K had this problem and they never recived level 4 for this lift.