PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Cherub721
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
It tells me that the Olympic committee takes the idea of a team event seriously, and doesn't believe it's just cheese. It also tells me that the other Federations are too cheap to throw an event like this, so they are content with having it structured in a way that favors Japan so long as the JSF foots the bill.

I don't think that's right or fair. What if another country wants to hold WTT next year? Would Canada get to choose pairs and dance as the disciplines that get to send two? If this is a real competition the rules cannot change depending on who's hosting it. I would rather they just made this a flat out cheesefest with crazy costumes, vocal music, and props that's just held for fun. The Olympic version is more fair.

Anyway back on topic, it might not be a bad thing that V&M lost to D&W in this minor competition. If Scott is pissed, all the better. The loss at GPF certainly didn't hurt the rest of the season.

bmcg
04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I think as it stands now it would be a great charity event.

Bournekraatzfan
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
It can't be taken seriously until you at least start by making the entries in each discipline even. It's weighted towards a country that is weak in dance/pairs but really strong in singles. That's a fact. Remove that imbalance first before you can even discuss whether this is a real competition.

I agree with you on the format of the event, and I read in the PBP thread that teams will be limited to one singles entry in each of the men's and ladies' events at the Olympics. I'm still not sold on this as an Olympic event...maybe because I am still bitter over the scrapping of the compulsories, and I would rather they spend the money reviving those;)

I must say, I am still holding out hope that Cynthia and Amelie can bring it tomorrow. I don't even care about the team placement; I just want them to have fun and end the season on a high note:)

bmcg
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think that's right or fair. What if another country wants to hold WTT next year? Would Canada get to choose pairs and dance as the disciplines that get to send two? If this is a real competition the rules cannot change depending on who's hosting it. I would rather they just made this a flat out cheesefest with crazy costumes, vocal music, and props that's just held for fun. The Olympic version is more fair.

Anyway back on topic, it might not be a bad thing that V&M lost to D&W in this minor competition. If Scott is pissed, all the better. The loss at GPF certainly didn't hurt the rest of the season.

I still feel now, even though they are the reigning World Champions, that it was never a FD that would be universally loved. FD choice is CRUCIAL next season. I don't have the confidence at this moment that Marina is up to the challenge. And she has to produce something magical for not one team but two, an impossible task at this stage of their careers. I hope to be proven wrong next fall but it's a worry.

martyross
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I still feel now, even though they are the reigning World Champions, that it was never a FD that would be universally loved. FD choice is CRUCIAL next season. I don't have the confidence at this moment that Marina is up to the challenge. And she has to produce something magical for not one team but two, an impossible task at this stage of their careers. I hope to be proven wrong next fall but it's a worry.

if only they worked with Zhulin!!

bmcg
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
if only they worked with Zhulin!!

I don't think there is an easy answer and I don't even know if a move is wise strategically. I just know I don't think Marina can give two teams a winning program. Although maybe she did this year if it's 2-2 :lol:;)

IoanaC
04-20-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't think it matters what he said at this point or what he meant when he said it. You either take it for what it is and move along or you dwell on it because you want to take him down another peg.

Exactly.

What he's surely pissed about are the PCS and the considerable drop from Worlds. Much of that part of the score, in ice dance especially, is attributed according to the judges' personal preference. What one panel loves, another might not. If the fans are frustrated by that, I can only imagine how the skaters must feel.

Shayii
04-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Scott said event I rewatched it several times to make sure. And I still say he should have held on a little longer and held his tongue until he got into the dressing room or something. I think what made me upset is this gives detractors something else to hold onto against them. But considering the the backlash that occurred after worlds I'm not surprised that T/S and Chan didn't place first at this event. They better gear up good for next season cuz it's gonna be a bitch and I'm thinking the backlash might only get worse.

twinktwink
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
New thread title: V/M#17, Hating to Skate in a Piss Off Event :EVILLE:

:lol: I LOVE THIS!! Thanks for the awesome laugh from this :)

twinktwink
04-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I am so happy at least the best team ever won this competition with best ever FD :) They are like Thorwill-Dean, who had all 6.0 at 1984 OG in FD. They had two 9.9 - this will be all 10th in Sochi, i am sure. :D I am happy i saw this most beautifull ice dancer ever - Meryl Davis. She is SO BEAUTIFUll, she is perfect, her lines is perfection. Charlie.. Or, Charlie with this blond haits, i wish to have childrens with him - he is most beautifull man i ever saw and how he dance - better, then Dean for sure.
This were best day in figure skating.
And i hope Meryl will merry Takahashi at WTT :D
And how Scott could say this? I cant even look at him anymore.
So now i will stop annoy you and go to re-watch Meryl and Charlie FD durin 1000 times per day :hat1:
Live in piece and love your Gods.
Now i start support Krylova and Zhulin - people, who wish return beautie in FS. Maybe one day they will win over "Zuevas beautie". maybe no. Will see.

:lol: Thanks for not disappointing pani :)

pani
04-20-2012, 04:45 PM
:lol: Thanks for not disappointing pani :)

How could i be dissapointed, if it were funny competitions :D
Honestly, i didnt think any team, who compete now, deserve 9,96 in component score :lol:

Bournekraatzfan
04-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Very true.

As a big fan of both teams, I am fine with seeing them trade wins back and forth. What I do find a little disconcerting is the difference in PCS, even when you account for the marks that were lost due to Tessa's stumble. Don't get me wrong, I think D&W deserved to win both portions of the competition here, and I know V&M didn't have their best skate here for reasons other than the stumble, but they still skated well. I think the margin in each of the last three PCS categories should have been 0.25 but some were closer to 0.5 (though even with the stumble, I would have tied them in linking footwork/movement as V&M have the more intricate program and I thought they skated the rest of the program really well). V&M should have also had a bit of a cushion in skating skills (their flow and effortless glide, their balance and precision of foot placement, their cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps, and turns), but they haven't had that this season, so that the mandatory 0.5 deduction for a stumble/loss of balance really hurt them in the Skating Skills category. The biggest difference was in the Performance category, and while imo D&W definitely won in terms of intellectual, emotional and physical involvement and projection, I thought V&M had unison and "oneness," carriage, and clarity of movement that should have kept them closer to D&W in the scores. Maybe I missed something...did other people notice if they seemed off in these respects? As I said, I'm fine with the results, but I am a bit puzzled at how the PCS criteria has been applied here. I am curious to hear what others think.

But as you said, Cherub721, this will only motivate Tessa and Scott as it did after the GPF. They went back and worked on their speed, which seems silly for a team that skates so fast, but they must have identified this to be an area where D&W are able to gain on them in the scores as speed seems to be privileged over other aspects of skating skills. I imagine they will continue to build their speed in the off season.

Congratulations to them on a terrific season! I really love Funny Face, and am sad to say goodbye to it. At least I have it on my DVR.

pani
04-20-2012, 05:12 PM
This was best FF.
And why if you are fan of both teams you didnt see stumble in rotation lift, where Meryl didnt have full twine or Charlie stumble in last rotational of the twizzles and they got all +3?
Dont get me wrong, but its werid, when you see some stumble (i didnt see nothing, but i belive you), but didnt see mistake in D-W perfomance.
I disagree with some GOE - for first step sequence, wich is masterpice and highlight of all FD for me and maybe for second one too.
i agree with spin and RolI GOE.
I dont take seriouse this PCS differents, because its not real.

sequins
04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
delete.

sequins
04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
95% of skaters who were there or weren't? Because all the other countries looked like they were clearly really enjoying themselves and they all had similar schedules to Tessa & Scott. :P
The ones that were there. Just because they put on a good front for the camera and choose to have fun because they're there anyway doesn't mean in their head they don't think this is ill-timed and would rather be starting their vacation.:P

I don't know what Scott said (I'd really appreciate a video)
But I like having drama in figure skating. It is something that will bring popularity to the sport (like how all the bitchyness and rivalries bring popularity to Women's Tennis)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rUHR9UfEgUI it's right at the end if you haven't seen it yet.