PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

elle123
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I've missed quite a lot! I was dead tired last night and didn't end up waking up to watch the SD super early this morning, so I was a little sad to see that Tessa and Scott were in 2nd. But I thought they had a great outing, nonetheless. I just hope they bring it for the FD!

Rafter
04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Watching the vid, I thought Zoueva looked like she could care less in the kiss&cry. I really wish they'd change coaches.

twinktwink
04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow so much has gone on since this morning, we're quite the chatterboxes in here :D

Thank you BourneKraatzfan for breaking down the scoring and pointing out what they lost points on, I didn't see Tessa's mistake on the Rhumba sequence until you said about it.

I'm excited for the FD, I really love FF and want them to knock it out of the park :D I want that for them more than for us.

Shayii
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm excited for the FD as well since I don't care about scores anymore and it's the last time we are gonna see funny face in competition. Is anybody gonna watch live today (jl22aries are you gonna watch)? It's gonna start at 12:25 am PT. I don;t know if I'l be able to stay awake this time cuz I'm already sleep deprived as is.

And Pani it'll be okay. Don't let the fact that they came in second in the SD ruin their win of worlds for you. I know it's hard cuz we want them to win all the time, but sometimes it's good to just enjoy their performance :).

martyross
04-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Pani is the star of VM threads and i would never trade her with a less pani-cking poster.
<-:
always found WTT unbearably cheesy but it helps skaters' funding so that's good.

Emdee
04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I think all of us enjoy calming down Pani when she gets Pani-cky.

Her comments also contribute to a lot of fun on this board and the links she posts are also wonderful.

Shayii
04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Her comments also contribute to a lot of fun on this board and the links she posts are also wonderful.
Lol you think it's fun? At first it used to annoy me, but now that I understand how she operates I just find it rather amusing.

jl22aries
04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm excited for the FD as well since I don't care about scores anymore and it's the last time we are gonna see funny face in competition. Is anybody gonna watch live today (jl22aries are you gonna watch)? It's gonna start at 12:25 am PT. I don;t know if I'l be able to stay awake this time cuz I'm already sleep deprived as is.

Oh yeah dude, I'll be there. I'm recovering from an injury at home so what else am I going to do? :lol: I'm excited too. I hope they have fun. I really mean that statement. Tess and Scott look like they need to just let go and...dance!

Shayii
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh yeah dude, I'll be there. I'm recovering from an injury at home so what else am I going to do? :lol: I'm excited too. I hope they have fun. I really mean that statement. Tess and Scott look like they need to just let go and...dance!

Oh sucks about the injury hope you get better soon. But I think you're right about the them just letting go, I hope they can do that tonight too. I felt like Scott was really on yesterday, Tessa not so much though.

Bournekraatzfan
04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
I know this, but my problem - i couldnt see how White and Moir could have the same (in this case White have higher) marks for interpretation and choreograhfy :)

I agree with you on this point, but I still think D&W deserved to lead the SD and I'll explain why:

D&W received a level 4 for their second rhumba sequence and I agree with this call. Unlike on the first rhumba sequence, the camera angle on this sequence allows you to see that Meryl did indeed step onto and maintain the right back outside edge throughout the step (at least to my eye, though I am no expert). The level 4 here gives D&W a 1.00 point advantage since V&M lost a level for not performing this step correctly (and both teams received level 3s for their other rhumba sequences).

Then there is the Sequential Twizzles, where Tessa's pirouette/solo spin cost them a level (and D&W had no such error and were correctly assessed a level 4 for this element). There is another 1.00 point advantage for D&W.

As I said, I agree with you that V&M should have won the Interpretation/Timing by 0.25-0.5 (multiplied by a factor of 1.00) because they had better command over and articulation of the rhythm (the difference for me is evident in the first samba section for both teams--V&M have more of the rotational movement through their bodies, a key element of samba) and should have won the Linking Footwork/Movement by 0.25 (multiplied by a factor of 0.7) because they had the more intricate program. I would also have had V&M 0.25 points (multiplied by a factor of 0.8) higher than D&W in skating skills and 0.25 points (multiplied by a factor of 0.8) higher in choreography. I likely would have tied the teams in the Performance category on this night...at most I would give V&M an advantage of 0.25 point (multiplied by 0.7) here.

Okay, so when we do the math, that comes out to a PCS advantage of 0.83-1.08 (depending on whether you gave V&M an advantage of 0.25 or 0.5 in the Interpretation/Timing category). Even if you gave V&M 0.25 higher in Performance, that still only comes out to an advantage of 1.01-1.26, not enough to offset the 2.00 advantage D&W earned just in base values in the TES over V&M. This does not even take into account GOEs, which I though D&W deserved to win based on the twizzles, and this would further pad their lead.

More on the Actual Scores and Margins

TES: The GOEs were all over the place for the rhumba sequences, as they had been at worlds, but the total GOE for the two rhumba sequences were .93 for both teams. The rest of the GOEs were close, and I have no problem with D&W getting the slight edge over V&M there (they had 0.29 more in total GOE than V&M).

PCS: I'm not going to multiply by the factors here, because the point I want to make is about the margin of victory. The judges did not unanimously award either team the win in any of the PCS categories, continuing the trend we saw earlier this season. The two teams tied in Skating skills, D&W received scores that were 0.04 higher than those of V&M in each of the Linking footwork/Movement and Interpretation/Timing categories and V&M received scores that were 0.07 and 0.08 points higher than those of D&W in the Performance and Choreography categories, respectively. So the judges, again, were split between the two teams.

This is all to say that I am not too worried about V&M being dumped by the judges, even if I sometimes question how the rules have been applied. They are both superb teams, imo. V&M fully deserved to win the SD at worlds, D&W fully deserved to win it here. Congratulations to both teams on two fine performances:)

martyross
04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
The inconsistency on judging Rhumba sequences we've seen in the season, it's because the judges themselves don't know exactly how detect them correctly?

Bournekraatzfan
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I hope they have fun tomorrow skating FF for the last time. Also, you have to understand that the way they approach the season, the intensity of training cannot be the same for this one. So, here's hoping they just go out there and have some fun.

Let's just enjoy the final performance of the magnificent Funny Face tomorrow, and support our favorite team in the twilight of their career with positive support!

I'm excited for the FD, I really love FF and want them to knock it out of the park :D I want that for them more than for us.

...But I thought they had a great outing, nonetheless. I just hope they bring it for the FD!

... I hope they have fun. I really mean that statement. Tess and Scott look like they need to just let go and...dance!

An enthusiastic THIS to all of these! I am so happy that they chose to do WTT and thus give us one more opportunity to see their wonderful programs this season. Let's wish them our best, hope they have a blast, and enjoy seeing their brilliant FD one more time! :cheer:

martyross
04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Interview after SD

“It felt great,” said Moir. “It has been tricky gearing back up for this competition. We had to regroup after Worlds and get focused for this. That was challenging, but once we started in our program today, we had such good energy. We came right out of the gate, which I was proud of, because usually when we do that we have a good program. That’s exactly what happened. We finished strong and we felt it definitely was one of the best of the year.”

Bournekraatzfan
04-19-2012, 11:33 PM
The inconsistency on judging Rhumba sequences we've seen in the season, it's because the judges themselves don't know exactly how detect them correctly?

That is exactly how I feel, martyross, though as I said, I am fine with the scores here as they did tie on GOE when you add them up for both sequences. I would have given D&W GOEs of +1 on both sequences and V&M GOEs of +2 (first sequence) and 0 (second sequence) for those. This would have left them tied on GOE when we convert using the Scale of Values, as each GOE is worth 0.5 on this element leaving them tied at 1.00 total GOE for both sequences.

It is just odd that the judges' GOEs would range from -2 to +2 for the same element (for the same team). It seems to suggest that the ISU needs to be clearer on what judges should be looking for in awarding GOEs.

Bournekraatzfan
04-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh yeah dude, I'll be there. I'm recovering from an injury at home so what else am I going to do?...

I hope you feel better soon, jl22aries. Enjoy the event, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the FD!