PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

sequins
04-11-2012, 02:38 AM
That right there is the difference between both teams. I am not diminishing either by this comparison. Just saying that that is how they approach their dancing, too.

I know what you're saying and I agree whole-heartedly. That pic is just:D:D:D!

iggie
04-11-2012, 02:52 AM
i'm sure the original post made no sense. will repost when i'm more awake.

Golightly
04-11-2012, 03:07 AM
I think they, particularly Tessa, have always been open about the tension in Canton. This is not new, I do not feel that discourse has changed over the years. It's only that we have now seen other manifestations of that tension she talks about, so we kind of put two and two together and it sort of becomes more evident. The friendly vibe thing was played more by the media. I still think they are all friendly, even if some think there's a rift between the ladies, which, I don't know, I don't altogether buy it. They are at least friendly enough to joke around each other so. My point is that the tension has always been there and it hard for me to imagine that there was more tension this year, with all its highs and lows and "controversies" than there was in 2009-2010. Now, for instance, it is going to be a pressure cooker in Canton.

I like that Tessa keeps stressing the fact that they want to do something different and they are furiously listening to music. I also forgot to mention this, but it is kind of telling that they brought the split lift back for the exhibition, maybe they were just throwing it in there, but I am not sure. I think there is a reason for that. A message of sorts: "I still can do this and I could use it again". Maybe I am wrong, but that's my take on it.

aka_gerbil
04-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Tessa is incredibly articulate. It's hard to remember she's 22 years old. Someone said a few pages back something about her being introverted? I actually think she seems incredibly comfortable public speaking, and really adept at mingling. Her and Scott both. So it makes sense they would be invited to functions like the promote London event, they're so natural and well spoken.

Someone can be introverted and still good at public speaking, etc. It's not interchangeable with shyness (although you can certainly see both of those traits in the same person). It's more that introverts approach these sorts of things differently than extroverts and are also affected differently. One of my favorite explanations is that social situations tend to leave an introvert drained (and leaving them needing time afterwards by themselves to re-charge) while these sorts of things energize extroverts.

iggie
04-11-2012, 03:14 AM
I think they, particularly Tessa, have always been open about the tension in Canton. This is not new, I do not feel that discourse has changed over the years. It's only that we have now seen other manifestations of that tension she talks about, so we kind of put two and two together and it sort of becomes more evident. The friendly vibe thing was played more by the media. I still think they are all friendly, even if some think there's a rift between the ladies, which, I don't know, I don't altogether buy it. They are at least friendly enough to joke around each other so. My point is that the tension have always been there and it hard for me to imagine that there was more tension this year, with all its highs and lows and "controversies" than there was in 2009-2010. Now, for instance, it is going to be a pressure cooker in Canton.

I like that Tessa keeps stressing the fact that they want to do something different and they are furiously listening to music. I also forgot to mention this, but it is kind of telling that they brought the split lift back for the exhibition, maybe they were just throwing it in there, but I am not sure. I think there is a reason for that. A message of sorts: "I still can do this and I could use it again". Maybe I am wrong, but that's my take on it.

i feel like the question of what's it like to train with your closest competitor hasn't changed, but their answers have. before, they played up how friendly and useful it is. remember that fluff with all four and scott saying he wants d/w to get all they deserve because they're awesome. nowadays, in the tracy wilson interview and the london ctv interview, tessa is answering the question differently now. when asked what it's like, she says it's tense. to me, that's noteworthy. maybe it's always been tense, but this is the first time tessa and scott have acknowledge it. but tessa also says that she likes the tension and scott says his friendship with charlie thrives in that tension.

elle123
04-11-2012, 03:15 AM
ETA: Apparantly, today is the day for pictures. Here's one of V/M + Chan at the World's banquet: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150635685162741&set=a.10150607125487741.380601.108314752740&type=3&theater

Those are some good looking world champs :)

Thanks for all the videos and photos, guys!

zilam98
04-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Like others, I agree that they are still growing and discovering who they are and can be on the ice and I think we will continue to see them explore different types of movement. And add me to the list of people who would love to see them revisit the movement concepts we saw in PF. Though I am actually a big fan of Marina’s work, I would welcome the input of an external choreographer…as others have noted, this can give dancers (and their primary coaches/choreographers) a new perspective on things. Maybe it will come in the form of an off-ice consultant like a ballroom or contemporary dancer/choreographer?

maybe they can do what steuer did with s/s--take pina's work to the ice and have a pairs team interpret it. even if they dont get an outside input for the fd (it would kill z/s), they can adapt something unto the ice. if not something bluesy, then something a little more abstract like what they did with PF.

zilam98
04-11-2012, 03:34 AM
Tessa is incredibly articulate. It's hard to remember she's 22 years old. Someone said a few pages back something about her being introverted? I actually think she seems incredibly comfortable public speaking, and really adept at mingling. Her and Scott both. So it makes sense they would be invited to functions like the promote London event, they're so natural and well spoken.

Also, Tessa just has a knack for press and interviews. She somehow manages to answer the tougher questions without "skirting the truth" (too much at least) and at the same time somehow maintains a level of PC'ness. She's also to the point, sweet, and not totally rehearsed sounding. It's a gift.

the way you describe tessa's savviness with the media, it reminds me of kate middleton whom tessa has been likened to looks-wise.

sap5
04-11-2012, 03:36 AM
i feel like the question of what's it like to train with your closest competitor hasn't changed, but their answers have. before, they played up how friendly and useful it is. remember that fluff with all four and scott saying he wants d/w to get all they deserve because they're awesome. nowadays, in the tracy wilson interview and the london ctv interview, tessa is answering the question differently now. when asked what it's like, she says it's tense. to me, that's noteworthy. maybe it's always been tense, but this is the first time tessa and scott have acknowledge it. but tessa also says that she likes the tension and scott says his friendship with charlie thrives in that tension.

Interesting how Tessa deals with the tension by staying in the bubble, whereas Scott and Charlie take it as a challenge to make their friendship stronger. It says a lot about their personalities.

Proustable
04-11-2012, 04:22 AM
re: V/M and romance

It always startles me to see argument that all V/M can do is romance. The assertions seem to be based on the idea that (a) romance is a narrow emotion and (b) that in fact is all they do.

a) Romance isn't some narrow feeling. Hell, think of films you could describe as romantic. Think of the range of emotions they traverse. I'd argue we see a similar range in V/M's programs. "Valse Triste" is staggeringly mature. The first thing I notice is that they don't emote a lot compared to the other two programs. The emotion comes entirely through the placement of their bodies (relative to the music and each other). In many respects, it feels a lot more mature a choice than "Cherbourg" or "Mahler," both of which choose a more youthful approach in the depiction of love. Both involve a lot more facial expressions

b) Of course it isn't all they do. Of their international FDs (9) - three of them can be termed romantic: "Valse Triste," "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "Mahler." Pink Floyd was modern edge, the Latin trio was sex and sizzle, and "Funny Face" was more a character piece.

I suspect as long as they have a dance in which their connection is evident that they'll be dismissed by some quarters - but in the end, their connection on the ice is legendary. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

re: Should they stay or should they go.....

I'd love it if they could stick with S/Z (and the political clout that comes from dancing with them) and explore other choregoraphers. If ice dance/figure skating is a language, why should the principal actors stick to one writer/director? Could you imagine James Stewart if he stuck with Capra as opposed to visiting Mann, Hitchcock, Cukor, or Lubitsch. I'd love to see Ingo Stueur choreograph something for them.

re: Tessa's media skills.

She's amazing. I recall the Team Orange interview, and she gives thoughtful answers that are interesting and seem revealing without being offensive. I suspect she'd ace any interview for a job.

re: Other random thoughts

Since they won't be doing TEB this year, should CoR, NHK or CoC accompany SC (order below). China is out as it's right beside SC, so it's likely between CoR and NHK. NHK is last. CoR gives them the Russian crowd that we want cheeirng for them....

2012 Skate America
2012 Skate Canada
2012 Cup of China
2012 Cup of Russia
2012 Trophée Eric Bompard
2012 NHK Trophy

martyross
04-11-2012, 04:23 AM
so the two key words for nice worlds are "bubble & bobble", it seems :-D
it's impressive how fast these two kids talk, hehe..that's why i always miss something of their interwiews, ugh.
i think that like all the skaters they prepare the answers but it doesn't come out as learned.
well, they’re listening to a lot of music.. i wonder if the playlist includes Hoppipolla ihihih :p

aka_gerbil
04-11-2012, 04:31 AM
I hadn't heard that they definitely weren't doing TEB.

I would like to see them do CoR as well. It wouldn't hurt for them to spend some time in Russia. :D

sap5
04-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Since they won't be doing TEB this year,

Why won't they be doing TEB this year?

martyross
04-11-2012, 04:32 AM
A bit weird for me because I love Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly - but Gene Kelly more. I really like Davis and White - but like Virtue and Moir more. And I am assuming the comparison likens V and M to Astaire and D and W to Kelly?

yep, as the poster mentioned DW's athleticism. and, hehe, let's not forget that Scott portrayed Astaire! i think that the comparison with him works for both, for the elegance, the aristocratic look, the effortless quality and a bit of melancholy.

Proustable
04-11-2012, 04:42 AM
I hadn't heard that they definitely weren't doing TEB.

I would like to see them do CoR as well. It wouldn't hurt for them to spend some time in Russia. :D

Why won't they be doing TEB this year?

The same reason they won't get SA - the medalling home team.