PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

elle123
04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
I have no idea pani. You have more sources so I don't think it's fair for you to ask me. :lol:

I am still very much afraid of that polka. It's more a social dance to me than a dance I would pay to see people competing in.

As long as they're not required to skate to traditional polka music, I don't think it will be too bad. I think it'll just take a while for us to wrap our heads around it.

elle123
04-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Not sure if it's been posted yet (my apologies if it has), but here's the US broadcast of T/S's FD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpC1rYFu3M

martyross
04-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Not sure if it's been posted yet (my apologies if it has), but here's the US broadcast of T/S's FD:

thanks. i enjoy everything of this version, including Charlie White's clapping.
glad that T. Wilson was doing the commentary.

iggie
04-10-2012, 02:56 AM
i actually wanted tanith.

lavenderblue
04-10-2012, 03:12 AM

That would be this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izf3jOu3N0o) from Universal Sports, though it might be geoblocked...

elle123
04-10-2012, 03:22 AM
That would be this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izf3jOu3N0o) from Universal Sports, though it might be geoblocked...

Geoblocked here in Canada.

Golightly
04-10-2012, 03:23 AM
I like how Tracy gets the details when not many commentators these days do. She makes sure to tell the viewers the things they should pay attention to when watching V-M: the shapes, the holds, the extensions. This is a team that is a dance nerd's dream, but it is so hard for the regular viewer to get them. I am so happy Vancouver happened.

iggie
04-10-2012, 04:15 AM
I like how Tracy gets the details when not many commentators these days do. She makes sure to tell the viewers the things they should pay attention to when watching V-M: the shapes, the holds, the extensions. This is a team that is a dance nerd's dream, but it is so hard for the regular viewer to get them. I am so happy Vancouver happened.

yup. i remember her doing this at nationals during v/m's valse triste days. she teaches me a lot about ice dance that way.

and that link is geoblocked for me too.

pani
04-10-2012, 06:17 AM

I think she was very upset. What could she said?

pani
04-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Pani at FF you said something about Tessa not looking at Scott at the gala practice then they went backstage to talk, what did you mean by this?

Nothing - just a little review :)
I only have impression, this two feel more comfortable, when they skate in there own World. Especialy Tessa :) And i have impression, Scott didnt like all this group number practice, but love to skate with Tessa :) I dont think they were acting, because there were only few fans at the arena. But i could be wrong.
They really need time to practice this new exibition, becasue sometime looked, like Scott didnt know, what to do :D

Shayii
04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Nothing - just a little review :)
I only have impression, this two feel more comfortable, when they skate in there own World. Especialy Tessa :) And i have impression, Scott didnt like all this group number practice, but love to skate with Tessa :) I dont think they were acting, because there were only few fans at the arena. But i could be wrong.
They really need time to practice this new exibition, becasue sometime looked, like Scott didnt know, what to do :D

Oh ok thanks. It sounded like they got into a fight or something and made up, but thanks for clearing it up.

lavenderblue
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Mmm, yeah, I figured that would be geoblocked outside the U.S. Here's a transcription; Tanith did all the talking during the program:

(diagonal SS) The first element we take a look at here, the diagonal step sequence. We now know that Davis and White actually only earned level 3s on both their step sequences, level 4s for all their other elements, but this is an opportunity right here for Virtue and Moir to once again try to take that lead away by earning the highest -- level 4 -- possible.

(curve lift) There's one of the changes that they've made from the feedback they received this season. That's a new lift, we haven't seen that before. [er, aside from at 4CC]

(transition to S'Wonderful) We spoke earlier about Marina Zoueva saying it wasn't hard to choose the right programs for each team, and she commented that Tessa in particular is just so romantic in her artistry. These types of programs suit her wonderfully.

Peter Carruthers: Was that a gold medal skate by the Canadians?
Tanith: Well, I'll never say it too soon, but they are certainly no exception to every couple in this last group who skated, I think, their best of the season.

(scores)
Tanith: And that'll be plenty!
Peter: 110.34. They had, for dance -- for ice dance -- they had a relatively comfortable lead after the short dance of 1.33, and they win it overall, over Meryl Davis and Charlie White. Just over 4 points, which is a pretty commanding performance because, as we talked about when we first saw Virtue and Moir and compared them to Davis and White, it was going to be the slimmest of margins. Well, maybe for the first time in the last couple of years, since the Olympic performance by Virtue and Moir when they won gold and Davis and White won silver...

(then it cuts him off to go to clips from the victory ceremony)

Bournekraatzfan
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
thank you for the photos, pani, and thank you for transcribing the American broadcasts, Shayii and lavenderblue. and walei, your dreams are certainly making post-worlds time more fun:)

Bournekraatzfan
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Pani, Sliver's whole post from the pbp thread was an excellent one and he/she is right in many ways. Including the way Meryl and Charlie were scored - too highly - in the first part of the season, and the repetitive moves. That's why I too think Tessa and Scott could really use an outside choreographer, fresh ideas. I'm quoting here the main part of Sliver's post, in which you can see that he agrees with the result and considers T&S the best and the rightful winners.

Interesting points, sap5 and IoanaC (and Sliver). Thanks for posting.
I know there has been a lot of criticism of what some people feel are very generic elements and transitional moves from Marina and Igor. The specific requirements for achieving levels do not afford the teams the widest latitude to explore different kinds of movement. And on the PCS side, there is also the expectation of constant movement, one with which V&M had to contend this season.

Ok, I’m going to gush a little here:
I think Tessa and Scott have learned to work with/in the constraints of the rules and have really expanded their repertoire of movement through the years. This season, I feel both programs showed how rhythmically adept they are. The way they moved from samba into rhumba and back into samba in the SD...I just loved how they accentuated the changes in rhythm and mood. Those dances each demand a specific kind of movement, and what I loved so much about V&M’s SD was how they really worked fully with those (whole) rhythms and not just selected beats.

And this was my favourite performance of Funny Face because the character depiction was so refined. And those characters were built through movement. As pani noted, we see a bit of quickstep and then a bit of foxtrot, all cleverly integrated into the story. I particularly love the development of Audrey’s character: Tessa starts out a little bit shy and proper, lightly caressing the ice in those taps and subtle edgework, with a more erect posture; and then in the jazzy section we see her get down more and engage the hips and shoulders; then we see sharper, more punctuated movements in the ‘crazy Audrey’ part; and finally, we get light and dreamy skating that builds into an exciting and sweeping ending. Tessa’s face is so animated in this FD, but this program also underscores the centrality of body awareness to the self-discovery and personal growth of Tessa/Audrey, the bookworm-turned-model. And Scott really channeled Fred not only through his steps but with every little gesture. This is why I think V&M are the most artistic ice dancers right now: imo, no other team engages their bodies so fully in expressing the musical and thematic nuances of the program. I could watch this FD a million times and still be utterly enchanted by these two…s’marvelous;)

Like others, I agree that they are still growing and discovering who they are and can be on the ice and I think we will continue to see them explore different types of movement. And add me to the list of people who would love to see them revisit the movement concepts we saw in PF. Though I am actually a big fan of Marina’s work, I would welcome the input of an external choreographer…as others have noted, this can give dancers (and their primary coaches/choreographers) a new perspective on things. Maybe it will come in the form of an off-ice consultant like a ballroom or contemporary dancer/choreographer?

Bournekraatzfan
04-10-2012, 09:54 AM

thank you:)