PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
To add on to what martyross said, I've noticed that a lot of people are using the fact that funny face didn't get the same audience response as die fled, it shouldn't have won. But ok anybody rmr last year worlds. Who clearly had the better audience response? Tessa and Scott did and I don't rmr an uproar happening about that they should have won, hypocrisy at it's best.

Yes. And belive me, T-S had better audience response in Nice, then D-W in Moscow. But T-S lose in Moscow, so why D-W must win in Nice?
Especially why V-M must lose wirth such SS, like they show at the begining? :D

IoanaC
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Some great points have been made in the earlier posts, so thank you Carmen and Martyross for expressing what I've been thinking as well during the last several months.

I haven't seen any of the PBP but did the same outcry happen after S/S's win in pairs? I mean come on now THAT was a close score :lol:

The score in pairs was so close only because S/S lost a level on their spin and were very undermarked in PCS, compared to V/T - especially in choreography and transitions - given that they had a masterpiece of a program. V/T had made a mess of their SP and certainly didn't deserve to win overall. Nobody contested Savchenko & Szolkowy's victory.

As for the dance PBP thread, the discontented voices belonged to Meryl and Charlie's fans. The objective posters, even those who have been harsh against Tessa and Scott - mainly because they don't like Z/S's programs - all agreed that they were the deserving winners and the better ice dancers.

elle123
04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I respect them even more for taking something as inconsequential as that piece of music and build a program; a nuanced, exquisite program out of THAT. Name one, just one figure skater who can take that music and do what these two did. I said it at the beginning and I'll say it again: Funny Face (the music) was not a safe choice, it's not the most thrilling music in the world, it lacks pace and it's not easy to get if you haven't watched the movie, it's not the best of the Gershwin era either. They didn't pick something that would make their job easier, they did not seek to please any audiences, they picked this because it was important to them, because there is a personal attachment to this particular film and music. To that I say kudos, guys. Kudos to you.

Well, said Golightly! It isn't the easiest music to skate to but their steadfast commitment and hard work made this program evolve so beautifully. And I remember hearing commentators saying how winning the world title back would not be easy with their music selection but had grown to love it the more and more they saw it. That's the beauty of V/M - they have so many nuances in their programs, it seems like you're learning/seeing something new in their program every time they skate it.

Golightly
04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
The objective posters, even those who have been harsh against Tessa and Scott - mainly because they don't like Z/S's programs - all agreed that they were the deserving winners and the better ice dancers.

Yeah, this is something I have noticed not just here, but elsewhere. In fact, given the reactions by member of the ice dance community over the last few years, save a few exceptions, I think V-M are considered the better ice dancers by many.

twinktwink
04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
The score in pairs was so close only because S/S lost a level on their spin and were very undermarked in PCS, compared to V/T - especially in choreography and transitions - given that they had a masterpiece of a program. V/T had made a mess of their SP and certainly didn't deserve to win overall. Nobody contested Savchenko & Szolkowy's victory.

As for the dance PBP thread, the discontented voices belonged to Meryl and Charlie's fans. The objective posters, even those who have been harsh against Tessa and Scott - mainly because they don't like Z/S's programs - all agreed that they were the deserving winners and the better ice dancers.

Thankyou, when I saw the scores come up I thought that some people might flip out at how close it was. I had wanted S/S to win because I loved how different their LP is and the journey that they'd been on with it. I really like their style in general. I couldn't believe how close it came to and I hadn't seen anything about the scores, :lol: not that I'd been actively seeking it though.

Macassar88
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't see the fuss. Look at Krylova. She is a sobbing mess at the end of w&P's fd but not at p&b's fd. Imagine if that occurred with Zoueva.

Pechalat and BOurzat's program isn't meant to make you sad though.

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
...They performed a few elements better and that's where the scores come from. D/W didn't max out their levels and its as simple as that, its a legitimate reason to not get extra marks. The way that some people have reacted to the scores and the result is as if its still the 6.0 scoring mentality. In any case V/M had a very good performance it just wasn't PERFECTION and according to the scores neither was D/W's.

great point, twinktwink! I think some people are equating PCS with the old artistic impression mark (though I still believe that many judges marking under the 6.0 system privileged some of the same aspects of ice dance that V&M were likely rewarded for in their PCS in Nice). There are many things that the judges are looking for in PCS, some of which, imo, Tessa and Scott do better than any other team. Both teams have their strengths in PCS.

and I just don't get the expectation that the relative difference in PCS between the two teams would stay the same. First of all, V&M changed their programs after the GPF in response to the judges' feedback and D&W did not. These changes not only affect the linking footwork/movement and choreography marks, but could potentially affect all other categories of the PCS if the judges feel that these changes make greater use of their edges and allow them to better express the theme. Second, in previous events when one of the teams had won a category of the PCS, the margin by which they won that category was always less than 0.25 (the minimum increment by which teh judges can differentiate between teams). This means that no panel of judges unanimously awarded either team with the advantage in any PCS category. They kept the teams close. The same thing happened here. It's just that more judges happened to give V&M the edge. Different panel, different perspective, different result. I don't see how that screams corruption.

sorry if my posts are repetitive. just felt the need to emphasize some of these points.

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 09:39 PM

ITA. No one should be coming close to Aliona and Robin in transitions and choreography scores as no one has anywhere near that amount of choreographic complexity. The scores at the GPF in those areas were also close and I was :confused:

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 09:43 PM
To add on to what martyross said, I've noticed that a lot of people are using the fact that funny face didn't get the same audience response as die fled, it shouldn't have won. But ok anybody rmr last year worlds. Who clearly had the better audience response? Tessa and Scott did and I don't rmr an uproar happening about that they should have won, hypocrisy at it's best.

oh, but hypocrisy abounds at FSU...;)
also, great point.

pani
04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
ITA. No one should be coming close to Aliona and Robin in transitions and choreography scores as no one has anywhere near that amount of choreographic complexity. The scores at the GPF in those areas were also close and I was :confused:

Agree, but in LP they did very simple elements (i mean 2 A throw).
Ad V-T were great in LP. But i was happy S-S, becasue V-T were to bad in Sp :D
I am a little dissapointed i didnt saw prefect Pina. Could they save this LP for next season? :D

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I agree. Let's move on and it might be more fun to talk about music choices or something more positive.

I really like your suggestion, "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Since I consider their current exhibition more disco than motown, I think they could further explore their thematic and stylistic range in an exhibition to this number. It would really show off the run of their edge and the softness of their knees, as well as their ability to really move. and I love motown:)

Golightly
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Someone already mentioned Rodrigo y Gabriela a few threads ago, but a different song choice than the one I had in mind. This one: http://youtu.be/LpI2JSn2o0A.

Oh, and this one: http://youtu.be/l-qgum7hFXk.

And I had forgotten, but something from the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack would be incredible. It might kill me in the process, as I am a HUGE BSG fan, but it'd be worth it. God, this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_IsptRrIak.

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Agree, but in LP they did very simple elements (i mean 2 A throw).
Ad V-T were great in LP. But i was happy S-S, becasue V-T were to bad in Sp :D
I am a little dissapointed i didnt saw prefect Pina. Could they save this LP for next season? :D

Oh, I agree, V&T deserved the TES as their elements were superb. It was just those categories of the PCS that I had an issue with. Pina is my favourite program that they have ever done (and that says a lot as I love their previous work), and I, too, wish we had seen a perfect version of it.

I know some here have expressed an interest in seeing Ingo Steuer work with Tessa and Scott, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. Too bad, as Pina was a masterpiece and his work tends to be fresh and unpredictable.

twinktwink
04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Someone already mentioned Rodrigo y Gabriela a few threads ago, but a different song choice than the one I had in mind.

Oh, and this one: http://youtu.be/l-qgum7hFXk.

I love Rodrigo y Gabriela and especially the second song you picked out. I saw them live when they toured in the UK around 18 months ago in a little theatre in Shepherd's Bush and they were incredible. Tessa and Scott could so rock this and I would love to see them attempt it one day- along with a gazillion other pieces of music :lol:

IoanaC
04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I know some here have expressed an interest in seeing Ingo Steuer work with Tessa and Scott, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. Too bad, as Pina was a masterpiece and his work tends to be fresh and unpredictable.

It would be a dream. The man is the most inventive choreographer in figure skating right now.

Pani, Aliona & Robin performed 3Sal and 3Flip throws, as they usually do in the LP, not 2A...