PDA

View Full Version : Bonaly returns to her roots in Nice

Pages : [1] 2

Sugar
03-29-2012, 06:13 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bonaly-returns-her-roots-nice-172514572--spt.html

ponta1
03-29-2012, 06:32 AM
What a nice article about Surya; she looks great in the photo, too!

Loves_Shizuka
03-29-2012, 06:37 AM
:glamor: Surya! Great article.

Rex
03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
:respec: Surya!

Cherub721
03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Very nice! She looks awesome and hasn't aged a bit! :D

apatinar
03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
I absolutely loved Surya during her career. She along with Midori were the reasons why I started skating. They were part of that golden age of skating along with Tonya, Lu Chen, Kerrigan, Tara, Kristi and Oksana. I miss those days..

ks1227
03-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Some interesting reflections about the past, present and future of black skaters in that article as well.

Taso
03-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Awesome to hear some news from Surya, I've been thinking of her a lot with Worlds in Nice :)

DimaToe
03-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Surya sesms to always be though less of because of her lack of basics, but she brought excitement to the ice, and was a trailblazer for French ladies skating. To me Surya is just :glamor:

and wow is she aging well!!!

Lacey
03-30-2012, 02:11 AM
I wonder if her mother is still alive.

My memory is dim, but I remember her jumping up incredibly high and out, but I also remember that some of her basics, like stroking, were stiff. Back flip, yes I think she got dunned for at least one. And I do remember the not accepting the silver.

apatinar
03-30-2012, 02:55 AM
I wonder if her mother is still alive.

My memory is dim, but I remember her jumping up incredibly high and out, but I also remember that some of her basics, like stroking, were stiff. Back flip, yes I think she got dunned for at least one. And I do remember the not accepting the silver.

Her mother wasn't THAT old! LMFAO although she may have looked it!

essence_of_soy
03-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Her mother wasn't THAT old! LMFAO although she may have looked it!

I seem to remember Mrs Bonaly writing SURRENDER DIDIER in the sky over Paris once.

AlexDSSF
03-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Sometimes, I wish that figure skating had more Surya Bonalys. It'd certainly make the sport more interesting.

Loves_Shizuka
03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
In light of the article I'd just like to say a big thank you to Surya Bonaly. I'm a very mixed race fella (Brazilian, English, Japanese, German and on and on lol) and I have (what you would call) a black mother. She's a very mixed kind of black, but that's for another thread lol. I remember first watching Surya Bonaly at the 1994 Olympics, and immediately identifying with her, simply because she was first person I'd seen in skating whom looked like my own mother (I was too young to know of Debi Thomas at the time) and so she was someone I immediately identified with and was drawn to.

However, I'm not the kind of guy who automatically likes something simply because of where it's from or what it looks like. I don't become an uber simply because someone is black or from England or whatever. I like to think I'm more discerning than that. I loved Surya more than just being black :lol: I liked her athleticism, her strength, the fact she wasn't afraid to be daring and different - I loved her dresses and make-up :glamor:

She undoubtedly made some mistakes during her career, and didn't always go about things the way she probably should have done - I can certainly admit that. But it's because of her that I watched the ladies LP in Lillehammer, as opposed to basically just watching Torvill & Dean and then switching over, as many Brits would have done. And it's because I kept watching those Olympics that I became a fan - and I'm still watching eighteen(!!!!!!) years later!

I had the privilege to watch her live at the Birmingham worlds in 95. Even though I was (obviously) very young, I can still picture how striking she was on the ice (Going slighty OT, I also remember how beautiful Lu Chen was in her Last Emperor LP - a very underrated programme in my eyes) It was just a massive thrill to see someone I so admired in person.

I know she had her weaknesses, but it somehow didn't matter to me as a fan. It didn't even matter that much whether she won or lost, because I didn't even need her to be the best. I just loved watching her because she "spoke to me" - for here was a person I could physically identify with AND who had her own individual style. As I didn't really follow any other sports or have any particular heroes, seeing Surya was a big thing for me as a child who often felt isolated and too different from everyone else. Inspirations like that can override things like "skating skills". LOL.

So yes, I'm sorry if this has been a bit of a cheesy post - I just wanted to say merci beaucoup to Madamoiselle Bonaly and to why she was an important skater to me. I hope she realises the inspiration she's been.

ponta1
03-31-2012, 11:54 AM
So yes, I'm sorry if this has been a bit of a cheesy post - I just wanted to say merci beaucoup to Madamoiselle Bonaly and to why she was an important skater to me. I hope she realises the inspiration she's been.

Not cheesy at all--and I'm sure Surya has been an inspiration to many.