PDA

View Full Version : My bunny died today

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

eusebius
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I am so sorry Cheylana. Like others have said, you did everything you could to care for her the best way you possibly could. I know that doesn't make it any easier though. (((((Hugs))))))

KikiSashaFan
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
{{{Cheylena}}}} I'm so sorry :(

Cheylana
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you all so much. At least World Championships is going on now; I guess I'll try to distract myself a little bit with that.

miffy
03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Poor bunny :(

Please do get a new friend for Axel, it might cheer him up a bit!

((((((((((Cheylana)))))))))

skatesindreams
03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
((((((Cheylana)))))
It's always awful to lose a beloved companion.

skategal
03-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I am so sorry, ((((((HUGS)))))

We lost our boy bunny just over 2 years ago. Like your girl, he was one of a bonded pair. He was only 5 and died of cancer. We knew he was sick but figured he had a few more months to live. One day he stopped eating and that was the day he died.

It's so hard. Don't beat yourself up. You are a great bunny mom. (I know you are a great bunny mom because I am a bunny mom too so I can recognize that!) You did all you could. Bunnies are notorious for hiding their illnesses until the very end. Chances are by the time you noticed anything wrong, it would have been too late.

We were devastated when we lost our Peanut. Time helps....but what helped us the most was adopting another boy bunny to have in our house. It took us about 6 months to be ready for another bunny, but it was the best decision we made as he is a treasure.

Hang in there....I know there will be lots more bunnies in your life to love. In the meantime, dote on your other bun and love him lots. He'll need it too.

More ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

MikiAndoFan#1
03-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm so sorry, Cheylana. :(

PeterG
03-29-2012, 11:31 PM
:(

I could have taken her in on Friday night when I saw she didn't race over to collect her treats. Totally out of character for her. I was concerned then, but I delayed by a day. I can't help but wonder if it would have made a difference. I would give anything to go back in time and do it differently.

I think all creatures have their bad days. I would have just thought, "poor thing, she's having a bad day". I don't think anyone expects a loved one to go so quickly. (((Cheylana)))

Maybe one way to look at it is that Trixie had the bestest Mom on the planet for six years. And is now smiling down on you with peace, love and gratitude. :)

P.S. I'm glad you're not keeping yourself from having a good cry. I personally think that plays a big role in the healing process. Let the hurt out so that only the fond memories remain.

sk8pics
03-29-2012, 11:36 PM
(((Cheylana))) So sorry for your loss.

Bonita
03-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I have lost two buns, one to e. cuniculi and kidney failure and one to e. cuniculi and cancer. I spent thousands but still feel guilty. I rescued two more in their honor. You did your best and good luck if you rebond. It's so sad, they are very fragile.

mkats
03-30-2012, 12:16 AM
(((((((Cheylana)))))))

Our bunny is almost nine and a half years old and we're getting increasingly scared of the day she'll leave us. She's virtually 100% blind but still comes nosing up every morning demanding treats and fresh fruit, and I can't imagine our lives without her. Before we got her I never thought of bunnies as having as much personality as cats or dogs, but man has she proved us wrong...

Your furball was very lucky to have someone as caring as you - you did everything you could have for her in those six wonderful years. Please don't beat yourself up ((hugs))

Cheylana
03-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Very grateful for all the kind messages and condolences, and the bunny stories.

mkats, I'm glad your bunny is 9 1/2. May she continue to live and prosper and beg for treats for as long as possible. Bonita and skategal, I'm sorry about the losses of your buns. It's wonderful that you got new buns; they are truly lucky to have you.

I did request a full autopsy, so maybe I'll hold off on the self-flagellation at least long enough to find out the actual cause of death (vet said early next week).

Had to make final arrangements today. Trixie will be cremated and we're tentatively planning on scattering the ashes in Washington State where she was born and adopted by us.

Japanfan
03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Japanfan, bunnies definitely can re-bond. Trixie is actually my other bun Axel's second companion; his first companion died very young in a fluke accident, and he was so depressed and unwilling to eat that we rushed out and adopted Trixie, and the two buns quickly bonded. It's unbearable to think of replacing her so soon, but I might have to. Axel sat in his litter box all alone last night, and he just looked so pitiful. :fragile:

Loving a new animal helps a lot to deal with the grief and sadness of one lost.

The way I figure it, part of loving our animals is accepting the cost of losing them. I consider it a cost worth paying.

If Axel would be better of with a new companion, I'd say that should be your key.

Bonita
03-30-2012, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you deal with a rescue that lets your bunny meet a potential new mate, but it made all the difference with me. The first two times I just brought home a new bunny, like, here you go, here's your new friend. One bonding took three months and the other one a freaking year (and it was not a very strong bond). The third time I brought my bunny to the shelter, she met five studmuffins, I let her pick, and they bonded within a couple of weeks.

I have lost a lot of pets, both bunnies and cats, and everyone thinks it's odd that I'm on Petfinder right away looking for the next one. However, it makes me happy to know I'm saving another life, and that takes away some of the pain of losing the one I loved so.

Jem X
03-31-2012, 02:44 AM
Cheylana, so sorry to hear about your bunny. I have a bunny of my own and he is a sweet little guy. Hugs to you and Axel.