PDA

View Full Version : Thread for people who are NOT Hunger Games fans

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bostonfan
03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Not wishing to rain on the parade in the other thread, I started this one. Consider this a safe haven for anyone who doesn't care or like the Hunger Games. :lol:

At first I was pretty open about my active indifference for The Hunger Games, and was met with incredulity. So I now I keep mum and just try to wait for the insanity to pass - as all popular things do at some point. I now understand how those people who never got into Harry Potter (which I loved BTW) feel. Those poor people had to suffer through the unrelenting hype of seven books and eight movies!

For the record, I read the first book a few weeks ago because I wanted to understand the hoopla. And because my older 40-something sister begged me to give it another chance, I finished reading Book 2 last night. I can't deal with going on to Book 3. Clearly I'm missing the magic. It's hard to articulate why I don't like it, only because I'm not entirely sure.

I imagine at some point I'll give the movie a shot, but not for many weeks.

PDilemma
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Elsewhere online, I questioned the over the top marketing hype (nail polish, really?) and was immediately drug through the mud. I even had people who know that I spent 16 years teaching literature telling me that I don't understand literature and need to read more.

I haven't read any of the books. But being in graduate school right now for history with assignments requiring about 1.5 books per week plus constant writing, I don't have any time for reading outside that. Among the obsessed that I know, this is not an acceptable reason for not reading these books or going to the movie.

emason
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't know if I hate it yet or not. Am waiting for the first book to arrive from B & N; I am only reading it because a friend begged me to. She wants to know what I might think of it. She also wants me to see the movie before I read the book as she is curious what someone who doesn't know the book might think of the movie. Haven't decided yet if I will oblige.

Given that I don't like Harry Potter (loved the first book, liked the second a lot and thought every book after that got worse to the point where I still haven't read the final book), my instinct tells me I'm going to hate this.

I can't stand all the hype, I can tell you that.

kwanatic
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I am a fan of the books, but I'm not here to start trouble. :)

I'll just say that it's a tricky situation when it comes to the mania that sometimes surrounds these movies born from books. I read and liked all three books, but even I was iffy about whether or not I wanted to see the movie because of all of the hype. All of that gets really annoying really fast and can be a big turn off for a lot of people, so I get that. I haven't seen it yet but I do have plans to at some point...probably some time in the next couple of weeks once a large majority of the hype dies down. It doesn't bother me as much b/c I liked the series but I do wish they'd pull back on the marketing train just a bit. Over-saturation can do a lot of harm b/c people get sick of seeing it and hearing about it.

I think it's a lot better when someone has read the book and doesn't quite get it rather than people who trash it without really knowing what it's about. That's why I feel fully justified in calling the Twilight books crap b/c I read all 4 of them, so my opinion is informed. Naturally, people will disagree and say they were amazing books/movies and that's why we all have different opinions.

It may not be your cuppa and there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

PDilemma
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I think it's a lot better when someone has read the book and doesn't quite get it rather than people who trash it without really knowing what it's about.

I don't have an opinion either way on the books precisely because I haven't read them and I don't know much about them. And I have not trashed them at all anywhere or to anyone. All I said was that the marketing seems a bit too much, that was enough to provoke some vicious attacks. And I wonder about the level to which some 40+ people I know are obsessed with it-- donning the t-shirts, buying the nail polish and standing in line for a midnight opening. It seems bizarre to me to become so involved with and have such a need to publicly identify with a fictional story of any kind. Especially as an adult.

I will admit that I am unlikely to ever read these books, even when I eventually have time for reading outside homework again. In general, however, I do not read dystopian literature. Nor do I make it a habit to read YA books. I read the Harry Potter books, but that sort of happened by accident. I was asked way back when the first two debuted in the U.S. to put my name on a condemnation of them as pagan and satanic and detrimental to children. I said I would not do any such thing without reading them for myself, so I did and then refused to lend my name to the letter involved. I enjoyed the first two and finished the series.

michiruwater
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't think kwanatic was talking about you specifically, PDilemma.

julieann
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I just assumed it was 'The Running Man' except they used kids and not convicts.

My son assures me it's not :) I'm not sure though.

PDilemma
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't think kwanatic was talking about you specifically, PDilemma.

I didn't either. I was just saying. In the current HG hype, you don't need to trash it. You just need to say you don't care. That was enough to get one of my "friends" mad at me. Online chat conversation:

Her: When are you seeing the Hunger Games?
Me: Probably skipping that one.
Her: WHY?????
Me: Not that interested and we don't have a lot of money for movies. So it just isn't on the list.
Her: OMG! And you're supposed to be well read!!

It went on from there into people HAVING to see this movie and HAVING to read this book and if you don't you don't get literature or movies or the entire world.

I have two distinct groups of "friends" and relatives: hipster wannabes and rednecks. Don't fit with either. And the first group gets really pissed if you don't like everything they like. The second group is busy hacking off their jeans into shorts when they get too warm at work.

(I didn't make that up...someone I know really did that last week, then bragged about it on Facebook).

michiruwater
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I just read the plot of The Running Man and while it's sort of similar (a reality TV show where you could likely die), it definitely sounds quite a bit different as well. The actual 'games' are structured very differently, the motivations behind them are totally different, and who is killing whom is also quite different. Not to mention that the motivations behind the protagonists are vastly different.

And on a totally different note... where on earth does your friend work where they can do that, PDilemma?? Were they fired??

aliceanne
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I am just trying to figure out exactly what it is about. Does it have something to do with a future society where survival contests are held and viewed as entertainment, sort of "Survivor" with real consequences?

Are the people humans or from some other planet or species? Also why is it called "Hunger Games" what are they hungry for?

I also get the impression that it is aimed at teens, and I just don't get into that stuff anymore. But I haven't read the books or seen the movie.

KikiSashaFan
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
I have the same opinion on the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Neither is really my type of book, but everyone was so obsessed with them I gave them a shot. I thought both were quite good, but not as fantastically, amazingly awesome as the hype made them out to be.

Don't even get me started on Twilight, that crap is beyond garbage, but that's another topic lol

michiruwater
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I am just trying to figure out exactly what it is about. Does it have something to do with a future society where survival contests are held and viewed as entertainment, sort of "Survivor" with real consequences?

Are the people humans or from some other planet or species? Also why is it called "Hunger Games" what are they hungry for?

It's a future society where survival contests are held and viewed as entertainment ;)

More specifically, it's a totalitarian dystopia where twelve Districts are controlled by a powerful Capital whom they all rebelled against a little under 100 years before the story is set. To punish them, and to remind them of the power of the Capital, each year they hold an annual Hunger Games where one female and one male tribute between the ages of 12 and 18 are selected at random from their population to fight to the death on live TV in an Arena.

From the age of 12 on, you get your name put in x number of times for how many times you've been entered. So, a 12-year-old would have their name in once, a 13-year-old twice, etc. However, in exchange for additional food rations, a child may elect to put their names in more times than that. So Katniss's best friend, at age 18, has his name in 42 times so that he may feed his whole family, greatly increasing his odds of becoming District 12's tribute. This wasn't explained in the movie because it's not really that pertinent to the plot.

Everyone is human.

Vash01
03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I decided to post on this because I have not seen Hunger Games and have not read the books. So right now I have no opinion, which makes me a non-fan of Hunger games. I may even enjoy the movie, but this just does not sound like my type of movie. I prefer reality movies to fantasy movies.

IceAlisa
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I've heard there's a lot of violence and also that's it's not all that well-written. That can be said for certain parts of Harry Potter as well, however I felt JKR had a lovely sense of humor and outstanding imagination so that had me "in thrall".

I've skipped Twilight and am skipping this as well.

Spareoom
03-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I decided to post on this because I have not seen Hunger Games and have not read the books. So right now I have no opinion, which makes me a non-fan of Hunger games. I may even enjoy the movie, but this just does not sound like my type of movie. I prefer reality movies to fantasy movies.

Well, I wouldn't really classify HG as a fantasy. It's more of a reality movie with futuristic elements.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the books but I wanted to pop in here and say that I hope all the screaming teens haven't scared anyone off the books. :) I know they're young adult but they appeal to a broad range of ages and can be enjoyed for content outside the hyped-but-not-really-true "Team Peeta/Team Gale" aspect. I'm nearly 22 and these are one of my favorite series. I was worried going into seeing the film that a bunch of Twilight fans who are looking for a new franchise to love would come in and spoil the atmosphere and perception of the movie. I'm happy to say that they didn't. I can't vouch for how the fanbase will change throughout the next few years, but it's definitely not a movie or book series that adults should feel the least bit embarrassed about reading/watching. :)