PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mommies & Daddies: Would You Feed Your Baby Like Alicia Silverstone??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Ajax
04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I don't know about the benefits vs risks, but I can't imagine any working mom taking the time to chew each tiny bite of her baby's food, especially if she has multiple kids.

MacMadame
04-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Also, to suggest that chewing food for a child is necessary for introduction of commensal bacteria is ridiculous. It will get in the child's oral cavity without the help of mom's saliva just fine..

And so will the bad bacteria.

IceAlisa
04-20-2012, 04:46 AM
And so will the bad bacteria.

Bacteria struggle for dominance in their milieu. The more "bad" bacteria is introduced, the larger its population and the more it gets the biological upper hand. Repeated introduction of chewed food insures this happens. Nothing will convince me that this is harmless unless Silverstone's dentist says she has not a single cavity in her mouth, no herpes or other active viral infection either.

Now, show me a child who doesn't have enough commensal or good bacteria in the mouth caused by feeding food pureed in the food processor. Or is this author going to claim that the gut flora needs the chewed up food to establish itself? Kids get it in other ways, from certain foods, for instance.

The study cited by that idiot was done on mice in the lab, no one chewed their food and put it in their mouths. The commensal bacteria was introduced to the mice from a culture. I really don't see how this study applies to the Silverstone episode, but there you have it.