PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mommies & Daddies: Would You Feed Your Baby Like Alicia Silverstone??

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

MacMadame
04-04-2012, 02:24 AM
I mean if she is doing it now, why wouldn't she do it when he is 4?

Because 4 year olds are different. I doubt this sort of behavior will last past the terrible twos, in fact. Kids just love to grow up as fast as they possible can and they love to learn to do things themselves.

Well, until they hit their 20s and you can't get them to move out. ;)

Twizzler
04-04-2012, 02:29 AM
The late night hosts are having a field day with this!!! Did anyone see Jimmy Kimmel? He challenged parents (for April Fools) to serve a plate of already chewed up food to their children, video their reactions, and then post it on YouTube under the title, "Hey Jimmy Kimmel! I just Silverstoned my child!"

They aired some of the funniest videos on the show last night. HYSTERICAL!!!!

bardtoob
04-04-2012, 04:23 AM
I'm certain many mothers in the past did this, although I think it is gross. I hope she started rinsing with xylitol months prior to this practice.

MacMadame
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Eh, I'm sure she breastfed him so he probably already has her dental caries. ;)

IceAlisa
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Eh, I'm sure she breastfed him so he probably already has her dental caries. ;)

:confused:

MacMadame
04-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Studies have shown that mothers who breastfed also are more likely to pass dental caries on to their kids.

IceAlisa
04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Studies have shown that mothers who breastfed also are more likely to pass dental caries on to their kids.

They have? In that case, the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risk of cavities.

And the benefits of chewed up food vs. food pureed by a food processor are...? We know the risks.

bardtoob
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
^ They do not pass on caries per se, but the strains of bacteria that cause caries. Bacteria that causes caries colonizes in the mouth often before one ever has teeth, just like most GI flora in their respective locations ...

* "..." is the gross part :scream:

IceAlisa
04-05-2012, 02:38 AM
I know. I was commenting on benefits of nursing vs. risk of cavities. Here, the benefits far outweigh the risks. In case of Silverstone, not so much.

MacMadame
04-05-2012, 03:03 AM
^ They do not pass on caries per se, but the strains of bacteria that cause caries. :

Just to be clear, that's also what *might* happen if you pre-chew your kids' food. In both cases, it's the same mechanism.

And it also happens when you use your mouth to clean off your baby's bottle or suck on the nipple to see if it's clogged. Or clean their pacifiers in your mouth.

Or sneeze on them, I'm guessing. :lol:

In fact, any close contact between mom and child can pass on bacteria.

So it's an individual choice whether or not you think this possible side-effect is too risky compared to the benefits of the whatever your behavior is that might cause it. I know after I read up on it, I concluded that it was going to be pretty much impossible not to pass this on to my kids so I stopped worrying about it. But other people might come to a different conclusion.

IceAlisa
04-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Just to be clear, that's also what *might* happen if you pre-chew your kids' food. In both cases, it's the same mechanism. You have a study that demonstrates that the likelihood is the same? Because I have a hard time believing this since all dentists I know say it over and over again--don't taste you kids' food. Don't use the same utensils.

And it also happens when you use your mouth to clean off your baby's bottle or suck on the nipple to see if it's clogged. Or clean their pacifiers in your mouth. You are not supposed to do any of these either. Gross. Oh and no kissing the baby on the mouth. Although I don't know why you'd want to.

Or sneeze on them, I'm guessing. :lol: Ideally, you'd cover your mouth but I've never heard of a case of caries-causing bacteria transmitted that way. Cold virus, yes.

In fact, any close contact between mom and child can pass on bacteria.

Study to show this?

Yes, bacteria can be passed but why increase the chances manifold, repeating the action over and over again, insuring a large population takes hold. This isn't a risk, it's a certainty. Do you not believe what the dentists say? You think they just like to nag their patients and their parents? None of them say don't nurse, btw.

Citlali
04-05-2012, 03:18 AM

Ive never read that, in fact breast fed children are less likely to have caries than those who are bottle fed.

S. mutans is trasmited through saliva to saliva contact from mother to baby (chewing food for baby, sharing spoons, etc.) the bacteria then needs sugars, low amounts of saliva and a low ph-level in the mouth to cause caries, the best way to remove one of this factors is by brushing the teeth twice daily (or better after every meal)

IceAlisa
04-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Of course, all dentists recommend nursing. It's important for the development of the mouth and correct bite.

Rex
04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Of course, all dentists recommend nursing. It's important for the development of the mouth and correct bite.

Then why do some dentists turn their nose up at pacifiers? Are they not shaped like nipples? (Forgive me, it's been YEARS since I've seen a female one!).

LilJen
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
What's more weird? Spitting chewed food into your baby's mouth or naming him Bear Blu?

Thank you. She probably used up all her brain power coming up with that fabulous name.