PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mommies & Daddies: Would You Feed Your Baby Like Alicia Silverstone??

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Citlali
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
:yikes:

Sure, there's abuse, neglect, etc. Although some dentists would not look kindly on the unnecessary and completely avoidable exposure of the kid to the cavity-causing bacteria.

All dentist I think :), makes me want to hit her with the giant toothbrush I used to decorate my practice :lynch:

Streptococcus mutans in no joke :scream:

I hope that at least she cleans his teeth after the meals :soapbox:

MacMadame
03-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Personally, as a parent, I think it's a big todo about nothing. I promise you that we parents of young kids regularly did and do things that aren't particularly sanitary. For example, how many times have you seen a parent pick up a pacifier off the floor, put it in their mouth to such off the dirt, and give it to their child? Or change their baby's diaper without washing their hands before and/or after. Or pick up food from the ground, brush it off, and give it to the kid.

Now, the batsh1t craziness of Alicia Silverstone is well documented and personally I never did what she did. But I definitely did unsanitary things in the interest of expediency and I'm pretty sure most parents did unsanitary things with their kids too.

ilovesalchows
03-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Great, just in time. My 5 month old will be eating soon ;) Seriously though, I read somewhere that undeveloped countries semi-chew their baby's food this way until they can chew it themselves? I'm not going to be doing this, but it isn't the grossest thing I've heard of, just odd when she could probably afford high end vegan baby food anyway.

Oh, and my 4 year old loves veggie sushi. We are all about the sushi conveyor belt these days, its the only place I can take him where he will sit and pay attention.

Rex
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I remembered something when I was working out tonight; When my oldest nephew was teething, his mother did give him a chicken bone for him to nibble on. It was from a chicken wing that she had eaten. Apparently, it's an old Southern thing...

IceAlisa
03-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Personally, as a parent, I think it's a big todo about nothing. I promise you that we parents of young kids regularly did and do things that aren't particularly sanitary. For example, how many times have you seen a parent pick up a pacifier off the floor, put it in their mouth to such off the dirt, and give it to their child? Or change their baby's diaper without washing their hands before and/or after. Or pick up food from the ground, brush it off, and give it to the kid.

Now, the batsh1t craziness of Alicia Silverstone is well documented and personally I never did what she did. But I definitely did unsanitary things in the interest of expediency and I'm pretty sure most parents did unsanitary things with their kids too.

Sure, all parents do unsanitary things in the interest of expediency but how is chewing food, small bite by small bite, more expedient than dumping the whole unsavory mix into a blender and hitting "puree"?

I've never encountered any Silverstone batsh!t craziness before this, btw.

UGG
03-30-2012, 02:18 AM

Well the thing is that she is putting it out there for everyone to see that she does it, so of course people are going to comment on it. I personally think its gross and pointless. Like is she going to feed him from her mouth when he is 5? When is he going to chew his own food? It just seems dumb to me-he should be learning to feed himself and chew his own food. I think she is kind of putting him at a disadvantage and not to mention...its just gross ew. but I supposed it could be worse. At least she is feeding him LOL.

MacMadame
03-30-2012, 06:32 PM
This is exactly what I mean about making a big deal about it. "He's going to be at a disadvantage" Really? Do you really think he doesn't know how to feed himself? I find that hard to believe and it's just an example of how we take something that grosses us out and try to find a million ways of proving it's wrong, wrong, wrong instead of just saying "that's gross. I wouldn't do it."

IceAlisa
03-30-2012, 07:27 PM
It would be fair to say that "gross, I wouldn't do it" is exactly what many are thinking. I don't see this as "making a big deal about it". This thread is only two pages and no one has called CPS yet.

MacMadame
03-30-2012, 07:46 PM
It would be fair to say that "gross, I wouldn't do it" is exactly what many are thinking. I don't see this as "making a big deal about it". This thread is only two pages and no one has called CPS yet.
Whenever someone does something out of the norm of our culture with their children people get up in arms about how the children are being harmed somehow. The idea that doing something like this is going to cause this child long-lasting harm was what I explicitly referred to as "making a big deal" about it.

IceAlisa
03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Actually, there is a distinct possibility that his teeth will be harmed by transferring the cavity-causing bacteria from her to his mouth over and over again, insuring a large population will make it into his mouth. So yes, in this specific case there is likely harm.

UGG
03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Whenever someone does something out of the norm of our culture with their children people get up in arms about how the children are being harmed somehow. The idea that doing something like this is going to cause this child long-lasting harm was what I explicitly referred to as "making a big deal" about it.

I am not up in arms LOL. Someone posted the article for opinions, and my opinion is that its nasty and pointless and dumb.

Why is it so wrong to think something is gross? She is putting it out there for everyone to comment on so I don't see the big deal. I did not say her child should be taken away.

I don't think it's "wrong" but I don't see any type of benefit in feeding your kid that way. Why don't I just spit my dinner in my son's bottle every night before I give it to him? Same thing. Its not wrong but there is no point and it seems like it is very unsanitary.

The again, I am the total opposite of the "crunchy" type of mom (which I am assume Alicia Silverstone is) and i know that is not the "in" type of mom to be these days so...

MacMadame
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with thinking it's gross. It's moving beyond that to "when will he learn to eat!?! :drama:" that I objected too.

If you had just said "I think it's gross" that would have been fine. But, if you really think this kid will be set back developmentally and have trouble learning to eat, then that's just silly.

tarotx
03-31-2012, 02:27 AM
I've been places without a blender and I have a very hyper kid and A few times here and there, to stop a huge public tantrum, I've chewed up a nut or bit a apple dipper into smaller sections because that is what he wanted and saying no wasn't going to happen without a hour+ long nightmare. I soon started carrying around a purse size veggy chopper. But I didn't learn my lessen until my son was 3. Luckily I rarely left the house...

Jenny
04-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Now, the batsh1t craziness of Alicia Silverstone is well documented

:confused:

UGG
04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with thinking it's gross. It's moving beyond that to "when will he learn to eat!?! :drama:" that I objected too.

If you had just said "I think it's gross" that would have been fine. But, if you really think this kid will be set back developmentally and have trouble learning to eat, then that's just silly.

Well I was picturing him like 4 years old opening his mouth so his mom could feed him her already eaten cheerios LOL. I mean if she is doing it now, why wouldn't she do it when he is 4? But in the grand schedme of life, I really don't care about her son