PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mommies & Daddies: Would You Feed Your Baby Like Alicia Silverstone??

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

my little pony
03-28-2012, 05:26 AM
i know someone who chews things then hands them to her toddler

i dont eat with them

IceAlisa
03-28-2012, 05:28 AM
That is NASTY!!! There are reports from the ADA (I think) that it's really bad to get an adults saliva into a baby's mouth because it increases the risk of cavities and other oral problems.

Yes, our pediatric dentist confirms.

JasperBoy
03-28-2012, 05:53 AM
That is how TB and other diseases are spread.

I don't suppose she asked anyone in the medical profession about this before she decided it was a good idea.

Of course, thousands of dimwits will now follow suit, just because she's a celebrity (who I have never heard of, BTW)

IceAlisa
03-28-2012, 05:55 AM
I don't think Alicia Silverstone or her kid are considered high risk for TB but I just read an article that TB is on the rise, and even scarier, multi-drug resistant TB.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-28-2012, 06:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone here had seen that story. Bleech!

I never realized that Alicia Silverstone was bats**t crazy before. She's definitely not playing with a full deck.

Japanfan
03-28-2012, 09:36 AM
I suppose there are much worse things to do a child.

"I just had a delicious breakfast of miso soup, collards and radish steamed and drizzled with flax oil, cast iron mochi with nori wrapped outside, and some grated daikon," she wrote on her lifestyle blog.

I doubt if I would feed myself this, let alone a toddler. Nori and Grated daikon probably won't blend well, hence the chewing perhaps.

IceAlisa
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I suppose there are much worse things to do a child. Sure, there's abuse, neglect, etc. Although some dentists would not look kindly on the unnecessary and completely avoidable exposure of the kid to the cavity-causing bacteria.

I doubt if I would feed myself this, let alone a toddler. Nori and Grated daikon probably won't blend well, hence the chewing perhaps.
Hence the chewing? I thought Clueless was a successful enough movie for her to afford a blender.

agalisgv
03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
A year of being a parent has taught me to not judge others parenting, as long as the provide food, clothing and shelter for their kids (and are not abusive). What work for different families is different. Ah, maat has reached that elusive parenting zen moment :cool:

snoopy
03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Given modern conveniences (like a potato masher) I would guess this serves as some sort of bonding activity that only has psychological impact for the parent.

maatTheViking
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Ah, maat has reached that elusive parenting zen moment :cool:

Stay in the zen, stay in the zen... deep breath...

Rukia
03-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I suppose there are much worse things to do a child.

My 2 year old ate some nori and rice the other day. We had to watch him with the nori, but he chewed it up really well. He loves mochi too. I don't think he'd eat daikon though. I definitely did not pre-chew any of his food.

leesaleesa
03-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Poor kid, it's a chew or die World, and he/she's at a disadvantage.

I vaugely recall some hippy/backwoods relative doing the same thing. Seems nasty. I wouldn't want to share a meal with someone spitting mush in some unfortunate baby's mouth.

IceAlisa
03-29-2012, 03:15 AM
So what is the rationale for this (assuming there is rationale)?

Andrushka
03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
uh no somebody is a couple french fries short of a happy meal..no scratch that...she is missing all her fries and the toy. I honestly never chewed food for my boys.I just tore it up into itty bitty pieces when they were learning to chew. They have grown just fine...more than fine. eck...

Rex
03-29-2012, 04:37 PM
uh no somebody is a couple french fries short of a happy meal..no scratch that...she is missing all her fries and the toy. I honestly never chewed food for my boys.I just tore it up into itty bitty pieces when they were learning to chew. They have grown just fine...more than fine. eck...

:lol: I guess she'd chew the french fries first.