PDA

View Full Version : Laura Lepisto calls it a career.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

modern_muslimah
03-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Aww, this is so sad. :( Like so many fans, I was looking forward to seeing her skating develop. She had really sublime skating skills and a wonderful presence on the ice. She should be proud of her Olympic performance and the bronze she won at 2010 Worlds. I wish her success in her future endeavors.

Jebrista
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
:( I always LOVED her so much! One of my favorites. Atleast she shared her gift with the world. She really did accomplish a lot for Finland. I love you Laura! Best Triple triple ever!

Ziggy
03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Stunning basic skating, stunning presentation in general and the "Imagined Oceans" SP is one of the best programs in recent years.

Damn injuries. :mad:

IDC a.k.a. Ritti
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Articles in English:

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/03/skater_lepisto_says_farewell_to_competition_336033 8.html

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Finnish+figure+skater+Laura+Lepist%C3%B6+is+to+ret ire+from+competitive+skating/1329103689704

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120325&content_id=27613522&vkey=ice_news

Ziggy
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
(from the Ice Network article)

Lepistö will likely be best remembered for her controversial bronze medal at the 2010 World Figure Skating Championships in Torino, Italy, where her clean, elegant skating was rewarded despite a relative lack of triple jumps.

Does this crap really need to be rehashed over and over again? Was it really necessary in an article about somebody having to end their competitive career due to multiple chronic injuries? :rolleyes:

Somehow I can't recall any figure skating scribes writing about Plushenko's gold at Europeans this year being "controversial" because of his total lack of transitions, basic choreography and a total lack of character, to give one example.

And you could point out many other examples along those lines.

But it only works one way, apparently. :blah:

loulou
03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Laura is and will always be one of my sentimental favorites
her jump arsenals may not be that high but her artistry, skating skills and presentation she has impressed me the most.

I missed having her in the mix. She's been one of my favorite skaters to watch for the past few years, no matter which jumps she was landing.

I LOVED Lepisto. And I was living off Korpi as a substitute, so you'd imagine how I'm left here right now.

Laura had great carriage, I adored her spins, she was very composed and very tidy on the ice - mistakes or not, which cannot be said about many girls out there.

Plus, she went from young and promising to injured and retired so fast, she didn't leave us fans any time to really enjoy her. Too bad.

Triple Butz
03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
(from the Ice Network article)

Does this crap really need to be rehashed over and over again? Was it really necessary in an article about somebody having to end their competitive career due to multiple chronic injuries? :rolleyes:

Somehow I can't recall any figure skating scribes writing about Plushenko's gold at Europeans this year being "controversial" because of his total lack of transitions, basic choreography and a total lack of character, to give one example.

And you could point out many other examples along those lines.

But it only works one way, apparently. :blah:

Well, I do think Plushenko's programs this season had more content than his 2010 ones...not that that's saying much...:slinkaway

I never really got into Lepisto, but I am sad to see her go. With Korpi out of worlds I have no one to b*tch about for doubling every other jump.

kwanatic
03-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I was never a fan of her skating but I do think she was a lovely skater....and so gorgeous! Hasn't Korpi pulled out of worlds this year? Who is Finland sending to compete?

Nomad
03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I was never a fan of her skating but I do think she was a lovely skater....and so gorgeous! Hasn't Korpi pulled out of worlds this year? Who is Finland sending to compete?

Juulia Turkkila and Alisa Mikonsaari.

Finnice
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I never really got into Lepisto, but I am sad to see her go. With Korpi out of worlds I have no one to b*tch about for doubling every other jump.

I wish you will be right.:EVILLE:
Still so sad over Laura. But also so grateful of all the great moments she gave for the Finnish skating.

AragornElessar
03-28-2012, 05:49 AM
This is beyond a shame. Laura will be missed.

roogu
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
curse of the world bronze strikes again

Moka-Ananas
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
curse of the world bronze strikes again

:confused:

Vash01
03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I was never a Lepisto fan and I felt that her world bronze with mostly double jumps was undeserved. However, she was a lovely skater, and it was nice to have two ladies from Finland (Lepisto and korpi) in medal contention. I still like Suzanna Poykio bettter than either of these, but the more variety we have in FS the better it is for the sport. I hope Finland has more talented young ladies to carry the torch.

blue_idealist
03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm sad about this, but I'm glad she won one world medal at least.