PDA

View Full Version : Laura Lepisto calls it a career.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Kelvster
03-26-2012, 08:23 AM
So sad :(

she was such a light, airy, and beautiful skater. Clean lines, clean jumps, spins and engaging presentation.

But she can be v. proud about the european title, world bronze medal and wonderful performances at Olympics.

I will miss her. Hope that Juulia Turkilla or some other Finnish lady can rise to the challenge and carry on what's now a tradition in Finnish figure skating.

delayedaxel
03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
That really is bad news

npavel
03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
sad for the news, but expected :(

ice9
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
:( :wuzrobbed :fragile:

But at least I'll always have her Olympic free skate.

maija
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry, too, but at least she has the satisfaction of knowing she set records for Finland in Ladies' Singles: first Finn to win Europeans (and only Finn to win bronze, silver, and gold), first Finn to medal at Worlds, and highest finish by a Finn at the Olympics.

Yes, really great achievements! Hard to break!

It has been really great to follow her career and enjoy her skating!

Andrey aka Pushkin
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
:(
It's always sad to see another skater retiring because of the injuries, and esp. so if they come from a smaller nation.

((((((((Finnish fans))))))))))
Good luck to Laura.

Loves_Shizuka
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
She was incredibly talented... How sad yet another great talent of the sport has been forced out by injuries before reaching her peak :( :( :(

I agree. I felt with Laura, the best was definitely yet to come. In some ways she reminds me a bit of Arakawa - same good basics, good skills and that (potentially) slightly more sophisticated and refined style that takes time to develop (as it should) I'll hazard a guess that Laura was going to be one of those ladies that got better as she got older and into her 20's.

I sensed she was more of a slow burner than some of the wonderbabies ladies skating so often produces. Her delivery was quieter and and her strengths more sutble in comparison to many, but I felt she added to her arsenal every year, be it artistically or technically. She was "growing" and becoming more confident in her own skating skin as it were. I guess now we'll never know how far she could have gone (in skating terms) but her achievements were still very impressive!

Jaana
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Feeling very sad about Laura ending her eligible skating career, but apparently that was the only solution under the circumstances.

Anyway, Laura has every reason to feel very proud about her career, a bronze medal at Worlds ( plus gold, silver and bronze at Europeans) is the greatest achievement that any of the Finnish ladies has achieved. And it does not look like that those records will be broken, at least not in near future.

RumbleFish
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
She will always be remebered for her beautiful free skate in Vancouver.
That was a truly sublime performance, and one of the Olympic moments for me.

kittyjake5
03-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear this news. Wishing Laura the best.

Moka-Ananas
03-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Oh no :wuzrobbed

I will miss her, her skating was so beautiful!

Lara
03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I too was hoping she'd be able to make a comeback.

And NBC not televising her Vancouver free skate still ticks me off today. :mad:

LilJen
03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Adding to the :wuzrobbed chorus here. So bummed, but best wishes to her in her future endeavors.

AznSkateFan
03-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Such sad news :(

rhumba
03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Very sad :(. I was lucky to have opportunity to talk to her once:). She was so sweet. Wish her all the best.