PDA

View Full Version : Cheney has has a Heart Transplant

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Myskate
03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
When my mom went on the kidney transplant list, she was 69. The Dr said that even though she wasn't fully in renal failure, she had to be on the list before she turned 70 or she would be turned down. I am assuming the same for Mr. Cheney. He got on the list before age 70. They will do a transplant if you are older than 70. You just must be on the list before then. My mom got her transplant at age 71 from my brother but that's a whole different story.

Reuven
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Whilst I detest his politics, and what he wrought in eight years in office, I still wish him speedy recovery. And it looks like he’s been waiting for two years all the while hooked up to a portable machine which couldn’t have been much fun.

cholla
03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Is there great value in extending from 71 to 81?

Remember that and ask yourself when you are 71 :shuffle:

michiruwater
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, with the male life expectancy in the US being 75.6 years, I wouldn't classify 71 as very old. You'd have to be several years beyond the life expectancy rate before I'd do that.

taf2002
03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
My dad had a major stroke at age 81. Up to that time he was planting his garden, playing with his grandkids, & arguing with my mother. :) He was still safely driving his car during the day, going on trips, & attending all the activities that he wanted. He lived another 4 years, & recovered to the point that his personality was intact even though he wasn't able to walk. For a lot of reasons that extra time was very precious to me. We sure weren't ready to lose him without warning at age 81. So yes, at 71 we would have advocated extreme measures to not only keep him alive but to have him alive with quality of life. I can't stand Cheney but I understand the reasons for this transplant.

emason
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
You consider 71 to be very old? Really?

Have to agree with you - 71 is not old, just older. Anyone in my family who dies on this side of 90 is considered to have quit; if you don't make it to at least 90, you are practically disowned.

skatesindreams
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Whilst I detest his politics, and what he wrought in eight years in office, I still wish him a speedy recovery.
And it looks like he’s been waiting for two years all the while hooked up to a portable machine which couldn’t have been much fun.

You speak for me.
I wish Mr. Cheney well.

Gazpacho
03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
He was waiting for 20 months, so no, he probably did not receive favoritism.

cruisin
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
This thread is a very special one. Though none of us seem to be fans of Mr. Cheney, it is heartwarming to know that his politics have no effect on our ability to be compassionate. That says a lot about the people who post here. :)

Cachoo
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I know his motivation was to protect the country but I always thought the Darth Vader comparisons had a kernel of truth. I don't wish ill health on him though.

victoriajh
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Have to agree with you - 71 is not old, just older. Anyone in my family who dies on this side of 90 is considered to have quit; if you don't make it to at least 90, you are practically disowned.

:lol::lol::lol:

julieann
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
There is some priority given based on a variety of factors, but the "match" is key.

Yes, match is the key.

You could live across the street, have a billion dollars and be the most famous person on earth and if the organ isn't a match for you, you're out of luck.

John 3 17
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I read a similar article and it made me wonder (as I often do when prominent people have transplants) if he received favor because of who he was. It said he was on the transplant list for 20 months. Is that an average amount of time?

He is also a very old man, at his age death of natural causes is not unheard of (though without the heart problems he could live another 20 years too...) It was my understanding transplants are prioritized to younger recipients. Am I wrong about that? I see from another article that an expected number of years to live after a heart transplant is less than 10. Is there great value in extending from 71 to 81? I suppose I'm not the one to make that decision for him, nor question his decision.

Either way, he has the heart now- and I wish him well in his recovery. I hope he lives a full life with it, to make the most of what is a pretty rare opportunity.

If I could've extended my 90 yr-old grandfather's life by ten years, I would've. If I could've extended my 85 yr-old grandmother's life by ten years, I would've.

This is the kind of mindset I fear will be on Obamacare's end-of-life boards (or as I call them -- "death panels"). No one life or one age group should be valued more than another. God help us all that life should mean so little.

-Bridget

John 3 17
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
This thread is a very special one. Though none of us seem to be fans of Mr. Cheney, it is heartwarming to know that his politics have no effect on our ability to be compassionate. That says a lot about the people who post here. :)

Oh, yes, because the #9 in this thread about "tasteless jokes" was "heartwarming" indeed :rolleyes:

cruisin
03-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, yes, because the #9 in this thread about "tasteless jokes" was "heartwarming" indeed :rolleyes:

They were not stated, and that was one comment. However, the discussion (in general) has been heartwarming.

I hope that "end-of-life" panels never come about. There was a time when society valued it's older generations. Now, we only value youth. We throw away our elders - aka - very old men (and women).