PDA

View Full Version : Chan Conquers Toughest Six Inches

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

alilou
03-25-2012, 04:04 AM
What matters to me is how I feel when I watch the skaters who move me with their artistry, courage, grace, musicality, and their athleticism.

This is also what matters to me (among other things). You write with such conviction that you are right. About everything. All the time. And boy oh boy you seem to be really wound up about this one.Perhaps it might be good to remember, or for it to actually even occur to you, that your opinion is not fact. And that going on and on about it won't make it so. I am one of those people who was never moved by Savoie (weird, I know, but there it is) but every time I've seen Chan live (several) I've been deeply moved by his artistry, courage, grace, musicality and athleticism. You don't see it that way but others (many others) do.

And with regard to these Worlds, in an interview with Chan recently he seems to be not so confident about these Worlds and having to defend the title. Says he's not in the same head space as he was last year no matter what bullish*t Steve Milton writes.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120321&content_id=27477082&vkey=ice_news
But the spotlight will be on Chan, and he admitted that this journey to worlds will be tougher than last time.

"Emotionally, I find myself in a harder position this year, especially these past two weeks leading up to worlds," he said. "Last year I felt like I was a machine and every day I would do the same thing over and over again. I didn't even think twice about it. It was unique.

Rex
03-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Well, the title didn't win me over. 6 inches? Meh. :P

We have to start SMALL, dear ;).

Proustable
03-25-2012, 04:41 AM
I love what Chan can do. I want him or Dai to win worlds. A hyperbolic article written by one person won't change that, as poorly written as it is (admittedly, I didn't finish it).

aftershocks
03-25-2012, 05:36 AM
...You write with such conviction that you are right. About everything. All the time. And boy oh boy you seem to be really wound up about this one. Perhaps it might be good to remember, or for it to actually even occur to you, that your opinion is not fact. And that going on and on about it won't make it so. I am one of those people who was never moved by Savoie ...

That I write with "such conviction" as you say shouldn't matter to you in the least if you disagree either in whole or in part with my indulgent ramblings. Read Milton, don't read him, read mine and others' posts, don't read them, barf with nubka, form your own opinions, stick to your own convictions, lighten up, get livened up, whatever. I don’t pat myself on the back b/c you think that I think I’m “right” b/c you feel that I write with “such conviction.” Who said that my opinions are facts? Who cares? According to the law of polarity, “all truths are but half-truths, all paradoxes may be reconciled.”

Chan ubers should feel free to enjoy the one they love, and enjoy his apparent "dominance," w/o obsessing b/c everyone doesn't love him in the same way you do or b/c every post in every Chan thread does not swoon over his SS. Apparently it's not enough that I don't blame Chan for the predicament he finds himself in -- not enough that I too would enjoy reading something/ anything about Chan that's honest, down-to-earth, informative about who he is as a person and an athlete, non-hyping, and realistic about what's actually going on in figure skating these days. That you were "never moved" by Matt Savoie's skating, doesn't bother me in the least. That I was and will always be moved when I watch Matt's skating is what matters to me. Isn't it enough for you that Chan moves you? Why does everyone else have to bow down and genuflect?

For me it wasn't the "six inches" reference in Milton's title that got me all "wound up". :P It was Milton's dumping on Chan's competitors, Dai in particular, in addition to Milton's other eyebrow-raising doozies. Milton hasn't done Chan any favors either with his indulgent Chanorgasm. Also, the ISU judges "going on and on" with their high scoring of Patrick regardless of how well or how poorly he skates doesn't make Chan the greatest skater of all time, not even of his generation. IMO, the consistent over-marking makes a mockery not only of Chan's worthy talents, but also of the sport.

And with regard to these Worlds, in an interview with Chan recently he seems to be not so confident about these Worlds and having to defend the title. Says he's not in the same head space as he was last year no matter what bullish*t Steve Milton writes.

:lol: So Chan refutes that he has conquered the "toughest six inches." Whether he's confident or not matters not, especially not to the ISU judges. Hopefully he is confident, and not over-confident or under-confident. By simply saying he is "not so confident" may bring a measure of comfort to his anxious fans when he wins as usual. They can then breathe a sigh of relief and gain a genuine thrill b/c he overcame his lack of confidence. Some of Chan's fans seem a bit worried about whether he can continue to stay on top all the way to Sochi. Why worry? Be happy.

skateboy
03-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Just because something is merely six inches doesn't mean it's not SENSATIONAL.

triple_toe
03-25-2012, 06:15 AM
It's a matter of technique really. I'm talking about the skating of course :saint:

jettasian
03-25-2012, 07:24 AM
It's just another excuse for the Chan haters to have a field trip. If this article was about Dai, I bet the reaction would be so difference. I guess hater's gonna hate.

DimaToe
03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
I don't really see hate in this thread, mostly humor, If anything the person getting the "hate" is the author of the article,not Patrick himself.

On another note, it seems like many of our posters have also conquered six inches :rofl:

VALuvsMKwan
03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
my indulgent ramblings

Which some may consider the equivalent of verbal diarrhea.

My Pepto-Bismol (TM) equivalent henceforth - PLONK.

ponta1
03-25-2012, 07:35 AM
It's just another excuse for the Chan haters to have a field trip. If this article was about Dai, I bet the reaction would be so difference. I guess hater's gonna hate.

Jettasian, you take any slight against Patrick too personally. Furthermore, as far as this article and the perceived "hate" you mention, it's against the author, and it's not hate, more like ridicule.

Vash01
03-25-2012, 08:44 AM
But I think it may eventually affect him. The outcry is getting louder and louder. He won't win the Olympics with 3 falls.

He will, if others have 3 falls each.

However- this from the article:

"Last month, Chan defeated former world champion Daisuke Takahashi of Japan at the Four Continents in Colorado Springs, where the Torontonian trains. Takahashi is one of those dangerously exciting skaters — he’s going to bring you out of your seat or hurt his face trying to — but in all-around talent and delivery systems, he’s not really in Chan’s league.

It’s still almost two years out from Sochi, but it’s possible that by the time we get there, no one will be in Chan’s league. And that, really, is up to Chan more than it is to anyone else. He’s so artistic he could make a Stevedore cry;.."

Takahashi is definitely in Chan's league talent wise, and both are inconsistent skaters, jumpwise. The quality of Takahashi's jumps is not as good as Chan's, but Chan's musical expression is not as exciting as Takahashi's.

I don't know who Stevedore is, but I don't see Chan as an emotional skater at all. I never feel like crying when I watch Chan skate. Takahashi is the one that can arouse emotion in an audience, but this writer obviously does not think Tak has any artistry at all.

I understand it's just a fluff article written by a nationalistic writer who probably does not know a whole lot about figure skating. Chan is the best skater right now, and if he skates clean, or nearly clean, he is unbeatable. However, to say even a recent world champion is not even in his league is plain ridiculous.

I just want mens figure skating to be competitive again, when we don't know who will win a competition. It's been boring for the last couple of years.

Vash01
03-25-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't really see hate in this thread, mostly humor, If anything the person getting the "hate" is the author of the article,not Patrick himself.

On another note, it seems like many of our posters have also conquered six inches :rofl:

I did not see any hate in this thread. I saw some defensive posts, from Chan fans, but even some of them may have to admit that this writer was over the top in his praise. The writer has received the well deserved ridicule from the posters.

Japanfan
03-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, the title alone might help him win some fans, although I don't think it is the demographic Team Chan is going after :shuffle:.

Seems to me that Chan is one of the mostly highly disliked top skaters of all time.

He was quite humble in his interview on the CBC Worlds preview today, said he was very nervous about defending his title and knew had some intense competition. He also said that his challenge was to compete with his Worlds performance last year and win.

It's going to be an exciting men's comp.

Iceman
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Just because something is merely six inches doesn't mean it's not SENSATIONAL.

and/or SINsational!!!!! :D

os168
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Tsk tsk *snort*....

Six inches, pants, Chanties, what is it about Canadian journalism with Patrick Chan?

Must be the cold weather... or Candian's own version of Linsanity about an Asian dude doing well that they don't know what to do with.