PDA

View Full Version : Chan Conquers Toughest Six Inches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

The Accordion
03-28-2012, 05:41 AM
:eek:

a56
03-28-2012, 06:32 AM
oh please :rolleyes: this is FSU we don't look at protocols.. or even necessarily watch the skate before we give our opinion :rofl: ;)
That would be too much to ask of some, to do some research before posting. :rofl:

Japanfan
03-28-2012, 09:16 AM
oh please :rolleyes: this is FSU we don't look at protocols.. or even necessarily watch the skate before we give our opinion :rofl: ;)

It might take some of the fun out of complaining about Chan's marks, as well.

aftershocks
03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I can understand exactly where Cranston is coming from and why he would say those things. Chan is the skater's skater. He has skills that many of past champions would die for and are envious of. He really has set a new benchmark for pure skating quality.

Then, as a judge under the current system, Aussie Willy, do you also understand where Cranston is "coming from" when he says, "I'm embarrassed to have been a figure skater?"

I do get Toller. His books are a must-read, IMO: Zero Tollerance; When Hell Freezes Over, Should I Bring My Skates?; and Ice Cream. Toller is not your average human being, but in his unique, creative, odd and refreshing way, he sheds a lot of light on the conflicting emotions, views, and utter strangeness we all exhibit as human beings on this planet. :lol: I guess FSU is just another weird hyper-reality/ example of that. Some might come here in fact, take a look and a read in various threads and perhaps :scream: tearing their hair out while yelling, "I'm embarrassed to be a figure skating fan." :P

:lol: Well, maybe not, perhaps just looking at the way judges score some events, and looking at all the fs politics and intrigue is enough for me to make that pronouncement. BTW, thanks for existing FSU, and thanks to everyone for their viewpoints. In my perception, some views are spot-on, others ... not as much. :D

I would truly love to have witnessed Toller in person talking about Patrick. I'm certain Toller's thoughts are genuine. And the article posted by Rafter is quite a step above Milton's priapic nonsense. In any case, it is not surprising for Patrick to be embraced by all of Canada's past champions, even to the point of hyperbole. Nothing wrong with that. At least, this article tries to focus more on Patrick's enviable skills and his engaging personality, and thankfully does not take potshots at his competitors.

I'll always love Toller, and to me it's Toller's skating that was/ is to die for. :swoon: Toller, you are the one who set the bar incredibly high. Alas, neither fs nor the fs judges of your era truly appreciated you or your skating. Life and fs are indeed quite strange.

aftershocks
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Guess Patrick conquered more than those "six inches," with a little help from the judges. Kudos to Patrick for holding it together, for the most part. But no kudos to the judges and no bravos for Patrick. In fact, there were boos from the crowd.

And amazingly, I heard that Elvis has announced to CBC NewsWorld that Daisuke Takahashi is "the best skater in the world." If true, that refutes the posted article in this thread claiming that all of Canada's former male champions are behind Patrick all the way. Maybe even Toller would like to "rise from the dead," actually watch the skating delivered by the top three men in Nice and then reframe his comments about Chan's artistic abilities.

seaner00
03-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Guess Patrick conquered more than those "six inches," with a little help from the judges.

The men's result was a joke :rolleyes:

professordeb
03-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Guess Patrick conquered more than those "six inches," with a little help from the judges. Kudos to Patrick for holding it together, for the most part. But no kudos to the judges and no bravos for Patrick. In fact, there were boos from the crowd.

And amazingly, I heard that Elvis has announced to CBC NewsWorld that Daisuke Takahashi is "the best skater in the world." If true, that refutes the posted article in this thread claiming that all of Canada's former male champions are behind Patrick all the way. Maybe even Toller would like to "rise from the dead," actually watch the skating delivered by the top three men in Nice and then reframe his comments about Chan's artistic abilities.

Just because there were boos from the crowd doesn't mean they are correct in their assessment of who should have won.

As for Elvis, well he's never been a fan of Patrick -- or any other Canadian skater who has better stuff in between the jumps than he did (don't recall him being much of a fan of Jeff Buttle and Jeff had plenty of transitions just not the quad) and I loved Elvis in his day. Just because Elvis says so doesn't make it so either -- ask the many posters here who have disagreed with comments he has made over the years.

Your hatred of Patrick is getting rather worn. Can you find another record to play cause it feels like you're stuck in a rut :P

aftershocks
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
^^Your perceptions are yours and that makes you right. My perceptions are mine, and that makes me right. Elvis' perceptions are his, and that makes him right. So on and so on.

Kudos to Patrick for hanging in there, as I said. But you might wish to rethink your "record-playing" too, professordeb. I agree that variety in music and in many things, including figure skating, is the spice of life. :)

I don't know Elvis, but it's interesting that you feel Elvis' reported complimenting of Daisuke means he dislikes Patrick Chan and Jeff Buttle.

jettasian
03-31-2012, 09:26 PM

First, the crowd is just classless and rude, no matter what.

Second, Chan totally deserves his win. He wasn't perfect, NOR other skaters.

Third, Stojko is just bitter for whatever reason. He always had negative stuff to say about Chan anyway. His opinions don't matter. Some other great skaters such as Craston, Browning, Orser and Boitano all have great things to say about Chan. And I will take their opinions over Stojko ANYDAY!

jettasian
03-31-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't know Elvis, but it's interesting that you feel Elvis' reported complimenting of Daisuke means he dislikes Patrick Chan and Jeff Buttle.

Go do some research, Stojko was NEVER kind to Chan or Buttle. He believed no quads were for girls, or something like that.

It's very typical that when someone's fave skaters couldn't win, the blame's on Chan and the judges :rolleyes:

The Accordion
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Your hatred of Patrick is getting rather worn. Can you find another record to play cause it feels like you're stuck in a rut :P

And my ignore list grows longer each day. ;)

aftershocks
03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
So jettasian, do you think that means Elvis believes he's "The Second Coming," and Chan is NOT? :P

I think Dai did well enough to receive better scores and Chan as usual was over-scored, but otherwise I do not have a huge problem with the 3 men on the podium, tho' the color for Dai, I think, should be gold. I also have no problem with the standings in general based on what the guys put out (except of course the extra points/ bit of home cooking advantage for Joubert and Amodio, but kudos to them for skating to their abilities).

:lol: Accordion. Long list, huh, and "growing longer each day." Must be longer than six inches by now. ;) I suppose that way you can read only the posts that are uncritical of ISU judges' scoring of Patrick, and be free of the poking fun as well. Great feature, that "ignore." Too bad there isn't one in real life, huh? Me, I don't bother using it, as I can read, ignore without using a list, respond or not as I choose.

overedge
03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

No, his dislike of Chan and Buttle would be because he has said that he dislikes their style of skating.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/HomeMainStories/2009/05/03/9333646-sun.html

The Accordion
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
:lol: Accordion. Long list, huh, and "growing longer each day." Must be longer than six inches by now. ;) I suppose that way you can read only the posts that are uncritical of ISU judges' scoring of Patrick, and be free of the poking fun as well. Great feature, that "ignore." Too bad there isn't one in real life, huh? Me, I don't bother using it, as I can read, ignore, respond or not as I choose.

I read this post before you officially made it out of my sight.

So just as a farewell I will set the record straight.

There are many many people NOT on my ignore list at FSU who do not like the skaters I like -and many who like skaters I don't care for.

One of the many things I value about FSU is differing opinions and new ways of looking at things - along with the wealth of knowledge here.

I do not deny ANYONE the right to having an opinion that differs with mine.

And interestingly enough- from watching the skate from my TV I DO think that Takahashi was undermarked in PCS but I am never totally sure if I am not there in person. As a longtime fan of Takahashi I think he is one of the best performers the sport has ever seen.

Those who make my ignore list - are posters whose negative and repetitive posts are IMO a waste of my time. I am a positive person and try to find postive things in skating with all skaters whenever possible and I am not a fan of the uber negative - no matter who the skaters are they are talking about.

Adios Aftershocks - enjoy being negative about whomever you wish!

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:09 AM
So jettasian, do you think that means Elvis believes he's "The Second Coming," and Chan is NOT? :P

I really don't care what Elvis thinks because I never liked his skate. I was happy that Urmanov won the Olympic gold at that time, not him.

I think Dai did well enough to receive better scores and Chan as usual was over-scored, but otherwise I do not have a huge problem with the 3 men on the podium, tho' the color for Dai, I think, should be gold. I also have no problem with the standings in general based on what the guys put out (except of course the extra points/ bit of home cooking advantage for Joubert and Amodio, but kudos to them for skating to their abilities).

To some, no matter what, Chan WILL always be overscored. Chan totally deserved his win today. He made a couple of mistakes, that's why he couldn't match his personal best. Dai couldn't even hit his quad, and Chan had 3.