PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

bek
03-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Partnerships break up, people want to skate with other people, it happens. The reason John received so much vitriol, IMHO, is because it wasn't played off as a simple change in partners; he said he was retiring (or at least that was the impression people got) and then magically came out of retirement to skate with Caydee. I don't think he would have been as maligned had he come out and said "I feel I need to change partners."

Well this to, it would have worked a lot better if they had not played the retirement, now we I'm not thing.

hippychick
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I think Gretchen Donlan fits that as well, even moreso IMO. She's reminiscent of Katia Gordeeve in terms of looks, which adds to that too. :)

I actually think Gretchen Donlan's pairs skills are the best of all the current US ladies. Donlan looks like a little music box ballerina and her partner a handsome prince. Both Donlan and partner Speroff are the most elegant pair team the US has right now. Their lines and extension are gorgeous and so well matched to each other. Their throws and lifts are world class. Their only weakness are the jumps and if they can master those watch out world! Hoping that after their good showing at Nationals they will finally be awarded a Skate America slot.

One thing I really admire about this team is that they come back ever single season much improved from the season before. Unlike other teams they have not had instantaneous success, they have been slow and steady and despite this they seem very committed to each other. After a very dissapointing summer and fall season they were magnificent at Nationals.

Cheylana
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Perhaps the thing is John really didn't "owe us" an explanation.
This.

Jammers
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
I actually think Gretchen Donlan's pairs skills are the best of all the current US ladies. Donlan looks like a little music box ballerina and her partner a handsome prince. Both Donlan and partner Speroff are the most elegant pair team the US has right now. Their lines and extension are gorgeous and so well matched to each other. Their throws and lifts are world class. Their only weakness are the jumps and if they can master those watch out world! Hoping that after their good showing at Nationals they will finally be awarded a Skate America slot.

One thing I really admire about this team is that they come back ever single season much improved from the season before. Unlike other teams they have not had instantaneous success, they have been slow and steady and despite this they seem very committed to each other. After a very dissapointing summer and fall season they were magnificent at Nationals.
I agree Donlan and Speroff look and skate like the classic Russian Pairs teams of the past. If only Gretchen could land her jumps they would be world class and leave teams like Denny/Couglin in the dust.

Jo Ann
03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Just watched a replay of pairs competition at Four Continents and the young Chinese couple, Sui and Han, are spectacular! They did a quad salchow and a quad twist in their long program. They won Jr. Worlds the last 2 years and FCC on their first trip. Barring a growth spurt by Sui they are going to be rocking the skating world for a long time. So, people, lets drop the past and get behind all our pairs! John and Caydee, Rockne and Mary Beth did great at Nationals, but as Peter Carruthers pointed out, our pairs have a lot of work ahead of them to be able to compete on this level with the Chinese and the Russians. I am rooting for them to do well at Worlds so we can have 3 pair teams next year at Worlds. I hope Caitlin is happier skating with Josh than she ever was with John and perhaps they will be our third pair next year. Let's all of us root for OUR world team this year (no matter what wrongs we perceive) and give them our total support!

MacMadame
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Of course John doesn't owe us an explanation. However, he choose to give one. Once you do that, your explanation is open to people discussing it and maybe even disagreeing with it or thinking it's not 100% honest.

Personally, I don't have a big issue with their split. John's mom had recently died and I think that kind of change in your life is stressful and can cause you to make some decisions that don't make sense to people looking in from the outside. I can totally believe he told his coach he wanted to quit after Worlds and that she convinced him to try out with his girlfriend instead. I also have no issue with two skaters past the age of consent dating each other. The idea that it's squicky to date a 17 year old but the second they turn 18 (after only a few months of dating) it's suddenly not squicky just isn't logical to me. I think these people are probably closer to being in the same place in their lives and the same maturity level than a typical 17 and 23 year old too.

But other people feel differently and that's their prerogative.

julieann
03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I kind of agree that maybe there's a bit of a double standard going on between how people reacted to the splits between different partners and Tatiana/Maxim too. But I also think there is a difference between someone being open about the fact that they are leaving their partner to find someone else, and someone saying they are retiring and then minutes later going with the partner.

Also some of it is too Max's and Josh's decision made sense, John's not so much. But it is all of their lives, and I think if john was unhappy working with Caitlynn, he had every right to leave, and it doesn't make him a bad guy. Perhaps the thing is John really didn't "owe us" an explanation.

There is a difference though....Max and Maria didn't get along and everyone knew it. He didn't mince words about the why he dumped her, you can choose to believe the timeline or not but that doesnít change the fact the opportunity came and he took it.

Josh was also honest, he wanted a girl who concentrated on pairs...that's all.

John had every right to do the same thing but he lied about it. First he said he was going to retire than I remember something about him saying he wasn't over his mom's death or some such non-sense, I canít really remember. Youíre right he didn't owe anyone an explanation but when one came-we do expect honesty, if you expect to have fans. That is where most of animosity came from.

apollo13
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
There is a difference though....Max and Maria didn't get along and everyone knew it. He didn't mince words about the why he dumped her, you can choose to believe the timeline or not but that doesnít change the fact the opportunity came and he took it.

John had every right to do the same thing but he lied about it. First he said he was going to retire than I remember something about him saying he wasn't over his mom's death or some such non-sense, I canít really remember. Youíre right he didn't owe anyone an explanation but when one came-we do expect honesty, if you expect to have fans. That is where most of animosity came from.

I hope Caydee/John achieve much success in the future, no matter how many non-fans they have.

bek
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Well absolutely! This being said I think part of the problem too is everyone Smilies
can understand why Maxim would prefer to skate with Tatiana, and Josh with Caitlynn, but John's decision doesn't make as much sense. I guess he could have honestly said Caydee's more athletic which does make some sense but...

julieann
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Well absolutely! This being said I think part of the problem too is everyone Smilies
can understand why Maxim would prefer to skate with Tatiana, and Josh with Caitlynn, but John's decision doesn't make as much sense. I guess he could have honestly said Caydee's more athletic which does make some sense but...

It makes sense if he didn't like her as a person or didn't like skating with her. Then by all means dump her for someone else and Denney isn't too shabby - obviously.

But he lied and didn't own the real reason why. I would have rather he said she was a bitch and skating with her everyday was horrible. Not everyone gets along, like Maria and Max but own it and John didn't. To say he isn't sure what he wants to do and a week later have a partner is BS.

I'm sure D/C will have success, even this year at their first worlds as a pair they will do good, I'm guessing somewhere around 7th. :P

MacMadame
03-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Well absolutely! This being said I think part of the problem too is everyone

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. John decided he wanted to skate with his girlfriend. Many other pair skaters and ice dancers have made the same decision in the past and gotten relatively little flack over it. And it's completely understandable.

bek
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. John decided he wanted to skate with his girlfriend. Many other pair skaters and ice dancers have made the same decision in the past and gotten relatively little flack over it. And it's completely understandable.

But did John even say that? It does make sense now that we know they are a couple but John never explained that.

overedge
03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
But did John even say that? It does make sense now that we know they are a couple but John never explained that.

What are you missing here? The problem is that he didn't say that . He said he was retiring, which is not the same as saying you actually want to skate with your GF instead of your current partner.

bek
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
What are you missing here? The problem is that he didn't say that . He said he was retiring, which is not the same as saying you actually want to skate with your GF instead of your current partner.

You missed my point thats what I was saying in response to the poster above and I said pretty much that its really none of our business why John prefers Caydee over Caitlyn but the I'm retiring, No! I'm Not didn't help. He should have owned the choice.

The fact that it made no sense skating wise, didn't help. I DO feel though that people were kind of harsh on him. I'm not really rooting for them not because i can't stand what happened but because I'm not a fan of their skating.

Cheylana
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
But he lied and didn't own the real reason why. I would have rather he said she was a bitch and skating with her everyday was horrible.
Really? I think it would be much worse and far less classy to publicly bash the former partner than to have offered his weak "it's not her, it's me, I want to retire" excuse.

Obviously if people want to hate John for mishandling the breakup for the rest of his career, by all means, of course it's their prerogative. But it doesn't seem like an all-time unforgivable offense to me. Shall we never forgive Sasha for her 2002 Nationals antics? Shall we never forgive Evan for his Twitter gaffe, or Mirai or Armin for theirs?