PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Dave of the North
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Zoueva and Johns' experience coaching pairs is so extensive that I won't bother listing the dozens of successful and top teams that they've coached. Johns has been one of the top pair coaches in the U.S. over the past 30 decades, and Zoueva has significant experience working with pairs.

(For those who are unaware, Johns was the main pair coach at Detroit Skating Club through the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s; he followed Zoueva to Arctic following the 2006 Olympics.)

He's pretty spry-looking for his age...:P

5Ali3
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Johns has been one of the top pair coaches in the U.S. over the past 30 decades

He's pretty spry-looking for his age...:P

I apologize; I mixed up Johnny Johns and Mr. Nicks. :lol:

2sk8
03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. ;)

I'm voting for Lindsay Davis. :)

skamper23
03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
So happy she found a partner! Looking forward to seeing them skate.

DarrellH
03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I hope they are a very elegant couple on the ice.

iceaxels
03-23-2012, 08:03 PM
He ended his partnership with Ashley in February.....just after Nationals. Caitlin was at Nationals.........hmmmm. How is this different from last year with John and Caydee?

So now the posts should read poor Ashley and everyone hate on Josh and Caitlin....right?????????

Just sayin.

Skittl1321
03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I think there was a lot of "poor Ashley" when it came out he said he wanted someone who was only doing pairs- it made it sound like he gave her a choice/ultimatum.

But there was also a lot of support for him that it makes sense to want a partner who is solely committed to that one discipline.

Ashley has a thriving singles career. I think that is a bit of why there is less sympathy. Last year's "partner swap" resulted in a very talented skater sitting out a season- plus it was so shady with Caydee moving to Colorado and saying it wasn't because she had a partner there, but because Haven was moving.

viennese
03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Glad for these two, and so psyched to see Caitlin Y back at Nationals next year. She is gorgeous.

kwanfan1818
03-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Reagan didn't quit skating and then team up with someone else soon afterwards. Reagan was clear about finding a new partner, and I think there's been plenty of comment about how people haven't bought the public reason he gave.

Also, there's no obligation to be :drama: over every break-up. It's not as if an unattached US male pairs skater at Yankowskas' level was going to materialize out of thin air, like Cinderella.

I'm so happy to be reminded of C/O. They, Babilonia/Gardner and E/L are my favorite US pairs. I did have hope for Steigler/Zimmerman until she injured her shoulder and quit.

OlieRow
03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
He ended his partnership with Ashley in February.....just after Nationals. Caitlin was at Nationals.........hmmmm. How is this different from last year with John and Caydee?

So now the posts should read poor Ashley and everyone hate on Josh and Caitlin....right?????????

Just sayin.

I was disappointed in Y/C's split because I loved their skating and thought they were just starting tp reach their potential. What changed my opinion of Coughlin (and Denney) were the accounts of the two of them having sekret sessions before Y/C had finished their season. The Y/R tryout wasn't until after C/R's season was complete and who can blame Josh for wanting a partner focused solely on their skating career? (Even if that wasn't the reason for the split...)

Ziggy
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
It's interesting how the Denney/Coughlin partnership has brought a lot of negative reactions but the Yankowskas/Reagan partnership has been so far received very positively.

I guess the two situations are very different, though.

Y/C just came off an excellent finish from Worlds (and their best season so far) and John went to skate with Caydee without being open about it (didn't he pretend to take a break or quit or some bollocks like that?).

In case of C/R, Josh was being honest and said he wanted a partner who would focus exclusively on pairs. Which is fair enough.

iceaxels
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
No.....the only difference is that Josh had a reason he could state.

Maybe there was WAAAY more to the split with Caitlin and John didn't air that?????

IT IS the same situation. People are just happier with the outward reason being given!

(what's with the Rep Power? I post an alternate perspective!!!!)

LilJen
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
It's interesting how the Denney/Coughlin partnership has brought a lot of negative reactions but the Yankowskas/Reagan partnership has been so far received very positively.

Y/C just came off an excellent finish from Worlds (and their best season so far) and John went to skate with Caydee without being open about it (didn't he pretend to take a break or quit or some bollocks like that?).

In case of C/R, Josh was being honest and said he wanted a partner who would focus exclusively on pairs. Which is fair enough.

Yep, Coughlin said he was retiring. Then he magically unretired to skate with Caydee.

Rob
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM

John said something nebulous like he was "exploring his options" in the skating world. I don't recall that he publicly stated that he was retiring, but he didn't come out and say he was looking for a different partner either. There was also a lot of contention surrounding the perception (by some) that John was somehow "trading down" by ditching Caitlin for Caydee.

My view is that if we get 2 good pairs out of all this, it is all to the good. I like Ashley too, but she was looking a little too tall for Josh.

agalisgv
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
No.....the only difference is that Josh had a reason he could state. Here are the differences:

With Coughlin, he was trying out with Denney prior to Nats, and with his coach's knowledge. Most felt that between Y/C, Caitlin was by far the stronger of the two. Yet, Sappenfeld, their coach, was secretly working with Coughlin to replace Caitlin without Caitlin's knowledge while they were still competing as a couple. That struck many as being extremely underhanded and deceptive. Generally one doesn't expect a coach to work against the interests of one of the pair in such a fashion--particularly the stronger partner of the pair.

This was coupled by obviously false statements about the break-up (eg. Coughlin not sure if he wanted to continue skating while he had been skating consistently with Denny for weeks prior, Denney saying she was moving to Colorado Springs to be closer to her sister when she was really secretly skating with Coughlin, etc.). There was also the ick factor for some with Denney not yet being 18, and this clearly being a romantic relationship between the two.

But then you had camp Denney posting rather vile things about Caitlin that could only be explained by pure vindictiveness, and that rather soured some on the whole Denney/Coughlin pairing with Sappenfeld coaching.

With Caitlin and Josh, there have been no obviously false statements, no indication Kirby was secretly working with Josh to dump Ashley (actually, quite the opposite), no underage romances, and no vindictive statements thrown at Ashley.

Those are the salient differences IMO