PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Oz_sk8ting_mum
04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
You forgot 6) As far as anyone knows, Caitlin doesn't have a lot of crazy overinvested relatives who post under sockpuppet accounts with almost no posting history and say lots of nasty things about Caydee and get butthurt and defensive when people talk about Y/R as a pair in anything less than glowing terms.

How is that any different to a whole bunch of Fans who also don't really know the whole story behind either break up and just assuming through gossip and guess work that they "know" the truth of what went on in either case and the key words here are 6) As far as anyone knows because thats just it, unless you were there and part of it you will never really KNOW.

From an out sider looking in they do both look the same but everyone is making excuses for one because they want a particular girl to have a partner (and no Im not a relative of anyone)!!:P but watching the video below he sure sounds fine a few weeks before with Ashley doing pairs and Singles ... supportive even

http://web.icenetwork.com/media/player/mp_tpl_2.jsp?f_id=5784561&flv=http%253A//media.icenetwork.com/icenetwork/2012/01/26/icenetwork_20073953_1m.mp4&speed=1000&type=v_free&pid=gen_video&cid=2012012726486424&isFreeWheelSite=false&isAuditudeSite=true&skin=/flash/video/y2010/mlb_vpp2010.swf&_mp=1

carriemarie
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Post below

carriemarie
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Wasn't Caitlin relatively new to pairs skating when she and John paired up? IIRC during the 2008 SA I read somewhere (don't remember where, sorry!) that she had only been in pairs for a year or so at most. She's got more experience in pairs now, of course and I think that'll make a difference in how team Y/R develops in their first year together. I don't see her and Josh overtaking everyone right away necessarily, but IMO this sounds like a team with serious potential, especially if/when they get the pairs elements together.

Caitlin skated with Drew Meekins former coaches Alexander Vlassov when she was Novice and Junior before moving to Colorado. She actually was second in Novice pair at 2007 Nationals- so she has had substantial experience.

barbk
04-06-2012, 03:33 PM
You forgot 6) As far as anyone knows, Caitlin doesn't have a lot of crazy overinvested relatives who post under sockpuppet accounts with almost no posting history and say lots of nasty things about Caydee and get butthurt and defensive when people talk about Y/R as a pair in anything less than glowing terms.

Probably because Caitlin doesn't need relatives that behave that way when so many fsu'ers were willing to do it. :rolleyes:

Honestly, the number of downright nasty postings about Caydee was sad.

Personally, I'm hoping that US pairs continue to get better, and that a US pair (ANY pair) manages to do well enough to earn a spot on the World podium in the next four years. I am downright thrilled to see US senior pairs that consistently manage to land SBS triples in international competition.

julieann
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Without trying to be a wet blanket...Please check out John and Caitlin's competitive history before 2011. I don't see her and Josh taking the world by storm this season...

Past competitive histories are not indicative of how the pair will be going forward.

MacMadame
04-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Past competitive histories are not indicative of how the pair will be going forward.

And they certainly aren't indicative of how a DIFFERENT pair will be going forward.

julieann
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
And they certainly aren't indicative of how a DIFFERENT pair will be going forward.

:confused:

Sylvia
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Caitlin skated with Drew Meekins former coaches Alexander Vlassov when she was Novice and Junior before moving to Colorado. She actually was second in Novice pair at 2007 Nationals- so she has had substantial experience.
It was Intermediate and Novice (she skipped the Junior level altogether). Caitlin started pairs with Daniyel Cohen in 2004 (both were singles skaters new to pairs), coached by Alexander Vlassov and Laura Amelina in Massachusetts, and they were together for 3 seasons. They won the silver medal at the Intermediate level at 2005 Junior Nationals in December 2004 -- results: http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200405/usjrchamps/interpairs-free.htm (trivia note: 4 of the 12 pair boys are still competing today with different partners)
Yankowskas/Cohen competed in 2 North American Challenge Skates in the summers of 2005 and 2006, placing 6th and 4th in Novice. She skated 2 Novice Nationals with Cohen, placing 10th in 2006 before winning silver in 2007. She split with him after the season and moved to Colorado Springs.

ETA: I'd like to believe that pair skaters try to take whatever beneficial experience(s) they have gained with their past partners/coaches and incorporate them into their new partnerships. Yankowskas/Reagan will need time to gel with each other and their new coaches, so I won't expect too much of them right away.

madm
04-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Caitlin skated with Daniyel Cohen before she moved to Colorado, not Drew. Drew skated previously with Julia Vlassov.

Sylvia
04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Caitlin skated with Daniyel Cohen before she moved to Colorado, not Drew. Drew skated previously with Julia Vlassov.
That's also how I initially read carriemarie's post, but I think she accidently left off an ' after Meekins and meant: "Caitlin skated with Drew Meekins' former coaches Alexander Vlassov..."

Personally, I'm hoping that US pairs continue to get better, and that a US pair (ANY pair) manages to do well enough to earn a spot on the World podium in the next four years. I am downright thrilled to see US senior pairs that consistently manage to land SBS triples in international competition.
It will be very tough for a US pair to land a spot on the World podium with the field as deep and talented as it is now, but I think both US pairs skated well for their first Worlds together, and it can only be better for ALL the US pairs if there is more competition at Nationals.

kwanfan1818
04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
We do know that Denney/Coughlin have used their past experience and did exceptionally well at 4C's and Worlds after less than a year together.

Reagan has less experience at the senior level, but he's had very strong coaching in the past, and, hopefully, this will contribute to a strong partnership with Yankowskas.

olympic
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I think US pairs (and US skating in general) will benefit from any 'duel' between Y/R and D/C - the back story will make good copy if both do well on the international scene.

I personally think that Y/R will have more natural talent (it remains to be seen how refined Josh's skating skills become). Josh is already able to land SBS triples and he should have an easier time lifting Caitlin than Ashley. But they will have to get the 3twist, and just spend a lot of time getting used to each other.

D/C have all the big tricks and I noticed at Worlds, there was improvement in their general movement. But, their progress up the standings will depend on their ability to package themselves better. Even if they never will be ballerinas, there are things they could do / music they could skate to / moves to avoid if possible that will 'show them off' better, like action movie soundtracks or something. I don't know what Dalilah was thinking by having them skate to 'Turandot'. Terrible fit :blah:

carriemarie
04-07-2012, 02:04 AM
That's also how I initially read carriemarie's post, but I think she accidently left off an ' after Meekins and meant: "Caitlin skated with Drew Meekins' former coaches Alexander Vlassov..."

It will be very tough for a US pair to land a spot on the World podium with the field as deep and talented as it is now, but I think both US pairs skated well for their first Worlds together, and it can only be better for ALL the US pairs if there is more competition at Nationals.

Thanks Sylvia...Yeah I made a grammar mistake!

Totally agree with your estimation of the US pairs scenario- very much improved...but very few have retired since Vancouver internationally so it is quite challenging (but not impossible) to land on the podium.

I am a fan of Caitlin Y. She and Josh are obviously going to need some time- it is not going to be as quick as Caydee and John's rise IMO.

carriemarie
04-07-2012, 02:07 AM
I think US pairs (and US skating in general) will benefit from any 'duel' between Y/R and D/C - the back story will make good copy if both do well on the international scene.

I personally think that Y/R will have more natural talent (it remains to be seen how refined Josh's skating skills become). Josh is already able to land SBS triples and he should have an easier time lifting Caitlin than Ashley. But they will have to get the 3twist, and just spend a lot of time getting used to each other.

D/C have all the big tricks and I noticed at Worlds, there was improvement in their general movement. But, their progress up the standings will depend on their ability to package themselves better. Even if they never will be ballerinas, there are things they could do / music they could skate to / moves to avoid if possible that will 'show them off' better, like action movie soundtracks or something. I don't know what Dalilah was thinking by having them skate to 'Turandot'. Terrible fit :blah:

Totally agree- they are the KVDP of the Pair event!:shuffle: Gladiator/Braveheart/Dragon, the Bruce Lee Story all would be a good fit!

FSWer
04-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Did they skate together yet in Competition? Do they have a website yet?