PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

stjeaskategym
03-28-2012, 05:17 AM
That is, I suspect that Josh was approached by Caitlin/her coaches to instigate his break-up with Ashley for the convenient reason that she was not skating pairs full time. In other words, had their been no Caitlin, I suspect we would still have Ashley and Josh as a pair.

Josh could have told Ashley that he didn't believe he was big enough to partner such a tall pair girl (and maybe he did do this, who knows, not our business). That would have been completely understandable. I never expected Cain/Reagan to stay together very long, no matter how well they skated in competition. The only 5'5"+ girl that comes to mind that has skated high-level pairs long-term is Dan Zhang. It's not impossible, but there are just so many things that have to go your way to make it work.

Really? I think it would be much worse and far less classy to publicly bash the former partner than to have offered his weak "it's not her, it's me, I want to retire" excuse.

I agree. I think John was trying to be respectful of Caitlin by not saying anything negative about her publicly while simultaneously trying to generate excitement for his new pairing ("only a skater of Caydee's caliber could have convinced me not to retire", etc). I wasn't fond of the storytelling John was doing, but I did appreciate the fact that he did not bash Caitlin.

I'm surprised that a number of people still find it shocking or incomprehensible that John could have possibly chosen Caydee over Caitlin based on skating ability alone (of course there may have been other factors that went into the decision, but there didn't have to be). It is quite clear that Caydee has had more overall success and has picked up faster on a lot of the "big tricks". Long beautiful lines, extension, artistry, etc., are often secondary, especially amongst US pairs. Even an international panel of judges tends to overlook some of these things sometimes. And there is often the belief (or maybe a misconception) that it is usually much easier to improve weaknesses in "PCS types of things" than it is to improve technical ability. Even if one does not agree with John's mentality in selecting a partner and believes it's a sign of impatience, stupidity, etc., it's not exactly a bewildering decision that he made (if he indeed made this decision strictly based on skating ability, which we will probably never know). He may have found Caydee too impressive of a pair talent to pass up.

blue_idealist
03-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I was struck by the following quote from Caitlin Yankowskas in the IN article:

That seemed like a not very subtle punch at her former partner (luckily for Ashley, she's also blonde and blue-eyed). I wonder if she always felt herself too good for John Coughlin, whether in lines or looks, and if this was the attitude she had, then it'd not be surprising if he was no longer motivated to skate with her anymore.

Whatever Caydey's natural imperfections in skating, at least you can tell that she's always really positive and happy to be skating, and really appreciative/respectful of John.

You could be onto something, because I don't think John Coughlin is the most attractive guy out there, by any stretch of the imagination.

ioana
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Dunno, I can think of several skaters who might not be good looking the traditional sense, but who are very watchable because they have nice posture, musicality, extension etc. IMO, the problem with Coughlin is he's lacking in those departments. I think he's just an average-looking guy otherwise. Granted, skaters do tend to skew 'prettier' than the average people, but still...

Sit_spin
03-30-2012, 07:43 PM
You could be onto something, because I don't think John Coughlin is the most attractive guy out there, by any stretch of the imagination.

I get the feeling I'm the only person on FSU who thinks John Coughlin is cute...

agalisgv
03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I get the feeling I'm the only person on FSU who thinks John Coughlin is cute... bless your heart

Hikaru
04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Anyone else curious for the inevitable showdown between this new pair and Denney/Coughlin at next year's Nationals? The back story, fans taking sides, etc. :watch:

hehehe I know I am! Go Caitlin&Joshua!!

carriemarie
04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Without trying to be a wet blanket...Please check out John and Caitlin's competitive history before 2011. I don't see her and Josh taking the world by storm this season...

Jessica
04-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Without trying to be a wet blanket...Please check out John and Caitlin's competitive history before 2011. I don't see her and Josh taking the world by storm this season...

They will probably get a PCS boost because of her but I tend to agree with you.

barbk
04-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Wait...no complaints about Caitlin having stolen John away from that nice Ashley? What a witch, breaking up a fabulous team. Hrumph. They are dead to me now.

Well, really not at all. But I am hard-pressed to understand why Caitlin pairing up suspiciously quickly after John dumps Ashley is somehow all that different and so much more acceptable than Caydee and John pairing up.

Skittl1321
04-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Well, really not at all. But I am hard-pressed to understand why Caitlin pairing up suspiciously quickly after John dumps Ashley is somehow all that different and so much more acceptable than Caydee and John pairing up.

Did you read the whole thread? It's all been discussed.
1) Josh has a good excuse for dumping Ashley. Whether or not it is 'real' is up for debate. He wants someone dedicated to pairs. The way the story was released, it sounds like Ashley was given a choice (or ultimatum...)
2) Neither person claimed retirement, then suddenly changed their mind.
3) No one moved "to be with their sister" and then suddenly had a partner ready made.
4) Caitlin is clearly more favored by posters on FSU than Caydee.
5) Ashley has singles success, so she isn't left high and dry to sit out a season.

There have been LOTS of reasons brought up.

lmarie086
04-06-2012, 03:33 AM

Wasn't Caitlin relatively new to pairs skating when she and John paired up? IIRC during the 2008 SA I read somewhere (don't remember where, sorry!) that she had only been in pairs for a year or so at most. She's got more experience in pairs now, of course and I think that'll make a difference in how team Y/R develops in their first year together. I don't see her and Josh overtaking everyone right away necessarily, but IMO this sounds like a team with serious potential, especially if/when they get the pairs elements together.

doubleflutz
04-06-2012, 03:33 AM
1) Josh has a good excuse for dumping Ashley. Whether or not it is 'real' is up for debate. He wants someone dedicated to pairs. The way the story was released, it sounds like Ashley was given a choice (or ultimatum...)
2) Neither person claimed retirement, then suddenly changed their mind.
3) No one moved "to be with their sister" and then suddenly had a partner ready made.
4) Caitlin is clearly more favored by posters on FSU than Caydee.
5) Ashley has singles success, so she isn't left high and dry to sit out a season.

There have been LOTS of reasons brought up.

You forgot 6) As far as anyone knows, Caitlin doesn't have a lot of crazy overinvested relatives who post under sockpuppet accounts with almost no posting history and say lots of nasty things about Caydee and get butthurt and defensive when people talk about Y/R as a pair in anything less than glowing terms.

RD
04-06-2012, 04:21 AM
You forgot 6) As far as anyone knows, Caitlin doesn't have a lot of crazy overinvested relatives who post under sockpuppet accounts with almost no posting history and say lots of nasty things about Caydee and get butthurt and defensive when people talk about Y/R as a pair in anything less than glowing terms.

??? :eek:

doubleflutz
04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
??? :eek:

Caydee has some relatives/people close to her who &etc, &etc,. Not that it's her fault (presumably she doesn't know), but it's pretty :rolleyes:, and it certainly doesn't reflect well on whoever's doing it. One of the comments was something along the lines of "oh, Ashley's great, but of course Caitlin's probably already gotten her dad to buy Josh for her", and lots of other implications that Caitlin's a terrible diva. Not classy.

feraina
04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Caydee has some relatives/people close to her who &etc, &etc,. Not that it's her fault (presumably she doesn't know), but it's pretty :rolleyes:, and it certainly doesn't reflect well on whoever's doing it. One of the comments was something along the lines of "oh, Ashley's great, but of course Caitlin's probably already gotten her dad to buy Josh for her", and lots of other implications that Caitlin's a terrible diva. Not classy.

I'm so confused by this paragraph. I can't keep track all the characters and analogies at all! :P I just know that I saw at least 5000 posts belittling every aspect of Caydee and those around her, and 5000 posts being sympathetic to Caitlin and encouraging her. Now maybe there were some posts that were negative toward Caitlin, but I have to say that I never saw a single one of it though I waste way too much time on here... :shuffle: