PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Sparks
03-26-2012, 02:51 AM
I heard all of the excuses he came up with last year about the break-up. He wants to retire... he isn't over his mom's death... if you care to search the board and re-read it for yourself, feel free. If you are convinced he was honest, that's fine too.

I did not say I was convinced of anything.
A lot of things on the board was opinion and speculation.
Stuff happens...

zippy
03-26-2012, 03:24 AM
I feel like now that Caitlin's finally paired up, much of the anti-Denny/Coughlin sentiment might gradually die down, especially if Caitlin and Josh are successful fairly quickly. I think a lot of the anger and frustration came from the fact that people were so excited about Yankowskas/Coughlin doing so well and anticipating them being a successful pair on the world stage for the lead-up to Sochi - probably a lot of the excitement was for Caitlin in particular because of her beautiful look on the ice, but I suppose some might have felt invested in the pair because of the backstory of their programs that year, and felt like there was some chemistry there. At least now there won't be the frustration of seeing Caitlin on the sidelines.

I think the Y/C split and D/C pairing was not really handled that well, which fueled some of the public anger, but it was other people that mishandled it and not the skaters themselves. I'm thinking of people that came on this board well before Worlds last year not so delicately 'hinting' that John was about to dump Caitlin and Denny and Coughlin were secretly practicing together and planning to team up without Caitlin's knowledge, and these people made sure to smear Caitlin in the process. Then when it came true, it caused nearly every statement that D/C could possibly have made to be perceived as "lies", and Caydee was seen as some sort of partner-thieving Jezebel whose sole purpose in moving to Colorado was enticing John away from Caitlin, who they felt protective of because of the quite mean things the people supposedly 'in the know' were saying about her on FSU. I don't know who those people are that made that leak but they definitely didn't do D/C any favors!

chachacha
03-26-2012, 03:37 AM
I have a hard time believing that Josh was not approached by Caitlin's camp prior to his announcing his break-up with Ashley.

That is, I suspect that Josh was approached by Caitlin/her coaches to instigate his break-up with Ashley for the convenient reason that she was not skating pairs full time. In other words, had their been no Caitlin, I suspect we would still have Ashley and Josh as a pair.

To the extent that any half of a couple is to be "blamed" for a break-up, I do not cut Josh any slack -- less, in fact, than I give John.

Caitlin and Joshua were seen being very cozy at Nationals so the announcement of them pairing up was no surprise to alot of people I know. I'm sure Caitlin and her camp approached Joshua ;);)

RD
03-26-2012, 03:42 AM
I feel like now that Caitlin's finally paired up, much of the anti-Denny/Coughlin sentiment might gradually die down, especially if Caitlin and Josh are successful fairly quickly. I think a lot of the anger and frustration came from the fact that people were so excited about Yankowskas/Coughlin doing so well and anticipating them being a successful pair on the world stage for the lead-up to Sochi - probably a lot of the excitement was for Caitlin in particular because of her beautiful look on the ice, but I suppose some might have felt invested in the pair because of the backstory of their programs that year

Particularly if it leads to TWO pairs contenders on the international scene, as opposed to just one with Y/C...

kwanette
03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I feel like now that Caitlin's finally paired up, much of the anti-Denny/Coughlin sentiment might gradually die down, especially if Caitlin and Josh are successful fairly quickly. I think a lot of the anger and frustration came from the fact that people were so excited about Yankowskas/Coughlin doing so well and anticipating them being a successful pair on the world stage for the lead-up to Sochi - probably a lot of the excitement was for Caitlin in particular because of her beautiful look on the ice, but I suppose some might have felt invested in the pair because of the backstory of their programs that year, and felt like there was some chemistry there. At least now there won't be the frustration of seeing Caitlin on the sidelines.

I think the Y/C split and D/C pairing was not really handled that well, which fueled some of the public anger, but it was other people that mishandled it and not the skaters themselves. I'm thinking of people that came on this board well before Worlds last year not so delicately 'hinting' that John was about to dump Caitlin and Denny and Coughlin were secretly practicing together and planning to team up without Caitlin's knowledge, and these people made sure to smear Caitlin in the process. Then when it came true, it caused nearly every statement that D/C could possibly have made to be perceived as "lies", and Caydee was seen as some sort of partner-thieving Jezebel whose sole purpose in moving to Colorado was enticing John away from Caitlin, who they felt protective of because of the quite mean things the people supposedly 'in the know' were saying about her on FSU. I don't know who those people are that made that leak but they definitely didn't do D/C any favors!

I don't remember any discussion "well before Worlds last yr" re: hints of a Caitlin/John break up. (Doesn't mean it didn't happen)Smearing Caitlin? Or do you mean Caydee?

just tuned in
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
From the IN article:

From the IN article:

Quote:
"Josh wasn't ever really on my radar, because he and Ashley did fairly well their first year senior," she said. "I thought if I did not find a partner this year and had to wait out another season, I might be out of skating. I am a very lucky girl to have Josh."

Yes, she said that. Does not mean one has to believe it, though.

chachacha
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Yes, she said that. Does not mean one has to believe it, though.

Exactly :lol:

zippy
03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't remember any discussion "well before Worlds last yr" re: hints of a Caitlin/John break up. (Doesn't mean it didn't happen)Smearing Caitlin? Or do you mean Caydee?

I'm procrastinating terribly and I just went and dug up some of those old threads - the earliest rumors I could find about Caydee/John were during the Worlds free skate, so I could have been wrong about "well before worlds" or maybe I heard it from somewhere else first, since I wasn't around during worlds last year but still feel like it was old news when the split was finally official. I remember the rumor because I thought it was the most ludicrous thing I ever heard (oops :lol:). Lots of bickering and :drama: from various skate moms over which pairs girl had the biggest diva 'tude and the ugliest makeup. It's a fascinating read - seems like the whole off-season pairs scene last year was :watch:

kwanfan1818
03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
A few years ago, one of the corps members at Pacific Northwest Ballet decided she was going to retire, right after she had been given a bunch of opportunities that were on the promotion track, and she didn't sign her contract. About a month later, the PNB Artistic Director announced in a Q&A that he had convinced her to return.

However, in a recent book, she said that some personal circumstances changed quickly, and she asked him to take her back.

People do change their minds, especially in emotionally turbulent ties.

It's also possible that Sappenfield said, if he was reluctant, "You're in great shape, why don't you practice pairs moves with Caydee so that she can stay sharp while we find her a new partner." I know of at least one partnership that started out being a practical thing. Actually two: that's how Morosov, who was coaching Volosozhar, started to skate wit her.

I'm sorry, but "Yeah, I dumped her because she treated me like chattel" might be fun to read, but I can't imagine it coming out of Coughlin's mouth in a public statement. Even Trankov didn't say anything that rude about Mukhortova, and, when asked directly to compare his two partners, he said that each had different strengths.

feraina
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I was struck by the following quote from Caitlin Yankowskas in the IN article:

"Aesthetically, we're a wonderful match," Yankowskas said. "We both have blonde hair and blue eyes. Our lines work together beautifully. That was one of the main reasons I was sold on skating with him. Johnny was joking around, he said, 'You guys look beautiful together.' I know pairs are all about the elements, but you also have to have that look and be pleasing to the eye."
That seemed like a not very subtle punch at her former partner (luckily for Ashley, she's also blonde and blue-eyed). I wonder if she always felt herself too good for John Coughlin, whether in lines or looks, and if this was the attitude she had, then it'd not be surprising if he was no longer motivated to skate with her anymore.

Whatever Caydey's natural imperfections in skating, at least you can tell that she's always really positive and happy to be skating, and really appreciative/respectful of John.

triple_toe
03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
It seemed extraordinarily subtle to me, to the point where it isn't even there :P

leafygreens
03-27-2012, 01:35 AM
I have a hard time believing that Josh was not approached by Caitlin's camp prior to his announcing his break-up with Ashley.

Even if this was true, why would Josh stay with Ashley when he has a national champ wanting to skate with him? One that is fully devoted to pairs, and not half devoted because of her singles career?

Mayra
03-27-2012, 05:19 AM
It seemed extraordinarily subtle to me, to the point where it isn't even there :P

Read between the lines, insert your own words and spin the quote just a little bit and you might just see the not so subtle punch at John. By sheer force of luck it doesn't involve Ashley. Although if you work hard enough, it might stretch that far. :P

hlp728
03-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Skate for the Hope added a picture of Caitlin and Josh together. Here it is. (http://www.skateforhope.org/images/content/pagebuilder/SFH2012_2.jpg)

elka_sk8
03-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Best of luck to them- Caitlin is too good to have been sitting on the sidelines! I hope it's a successful partnership. :)