PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan have paired up

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

Ziggy
03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
They won Jr. Worlds the last 2 years and FCC on their first trip.

For the last 3 years.

reese
03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
It would have been impossible for John to have been 100% honest that he was dumping Caitlin to skate with his girlfriend (if that's what happened), as Caydee was still 17 when they teamed up...

bek
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Really? I think it would be much worse and far less classy to publicly bash the former partner than to have offered his weak "it's not her, it's me, I want to retire" excuse.

Obviously if people want to hate John for mishandling the breakup for the rest of his career, by all means, of course it's their prerogative. But it doesn't seem like an all-time unforgivable offense to me. Shall we never forgive Sasha for her 2002 Nationals antics? Shall we never forgive Evan for his Twitter gaffe, or Mirai or Armin for theirs?

I'm over whatever John did. I just don't like their skating. And I suspect that if they turned out to be the American version of V/T nobody would mind, no matter what John said. But they aren't, and I think that's really what people don't like. Even if Caitlynn had chosen to retired, I suspect while people might not hate them, a lot of people who prefer a more aesthetic form of pairs skating-wouldn't like them. I agree John saying I don't like Caitlynn would be far worse than what was said. Trankov/Maria's issues were talked about by both and their coach-which is different.

julieann
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Really? I think it would be much worse and far less classy to publicly bash the former partner than to have offered his weak "it's not her, it's me, I want to retire" excuse

Sorry, I'm all for honesty is the best policy if you're going to give an excuse at all. Honesty didn't hurt Max did it? Lying to your fans is not a good way to get new ones on your side or keep the old ones. All he had to say was I would prefer to skate with my girlfriend who is now without a partner, end of story.

bek
03-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I'm all for honesty is the best policy if you're going to give an excuse at all. Honesty didn't hurt Max did it? Lying to your fans is not a good way to get new ones on your side or keep the old ones. All he had to say was I would prefer to skate with my girlfriend who is now without a partner, end of story.

Well I kind of thought some of V/T's story had a bit of bs to it with the whole Maxim said he'd retire and then we started talking.. :lol: But Maria and Max's clear issues made the split understandable.

Ziggy
03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
It would have been impossible for John to have been 100% honest that he was dumping Caitlin to skate with his girlfriend (if that's what happened), as Caydee was still 17 when they teamed up...

Yes, because dating 17-year olds is a crime. :rolleyes:

I don't know how many times I have seen that posted. What the hell is wrong with you people? We're not in the 19th century any more...

(The age of consent in Colorado is 17 btw)

reese
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes, because dating 17-year olds is a crime. :rolleyes:

(The age of consent in Colorado is 17 btw)

WELL then! As long as it's legal...

I'm sure no one on Team Denney/Coughlin thought it was a good idea to go public with that info, is all I'm suggesting. That's a pretty tender 8 year age gap, at least from a PR point of view.

Cheylana
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Sorry, I'm all for honesty is the best policy if you're going to give an excuse at all. Honesty didn't hurt Max did it? Lying to your fans is not a good way to get new ones on your side or keep the old ones.
You said it would have been better if he had publicly proclaimed that Caitlin was a bitch to skate with, and that's what I was reacting to. To me, honesty is not always the best policy when it would involve a public bashing of the other partner. Obviously the best choice would have been to say nothing at all, but I'm not going to hold it against him for the rest of his life.

In any case, I think Caitlin is a marvelous skater, and I'd love to see her and her partner skate well enough to make top two, along with M&B, next season. And I'm content to root for D&C and M&B to skate their best at this year's Worlds.

olympic
03-26-2012, 12:37 AM
There is a groundswell of potential talent in US pairs: D/C, M/B. E/L, D/S and now Y/R. I look forward to all of them doing their best.

Then again, this is US pairs. How many times have we said 'look how much talent!' or 'they could go places if they just ...' .. :shuffle:

Sparks
03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
There is a difference though....Max and Maria didn't get along and everyone knew it. He didn't mince words about the why he dumped her, you can choose to believe the timeline or not but that doesnít change the fact the opportunity came and he took it.

Josh was also honest, he wanted a girl who concentrated on pairs...that's all.

John had every right to do the same thing but he lied about it. First he said he was going to retire than I remember something about him saying he wasn't over his mom's death or some such non-sense, I canít really remember. Youíre right he didn't owe anyone an explanation but when one came-we do expect honesty, if you expect to have fans. That is where most of animosity came from.

So you are convinced John lied, but you don't remember how?

just tuned in
03-26-2012, 12:59 AM
I have a hard time believing that Josh was not approached by Caitlin's camp prior to his announcing his break-up with Ashley.

That is, I suspect that Josh was approached by Caitlin/her coaches to instigate his break-up with Ashley for the convenient reason that she was not skating pairs full time. In other words, had their been no Caitlin, I suspect we would still have Ashley and Josh as a pair.

To the extent that any half of a couple is to be "blamed" for a break-up, I do not cut Josh any slack -- less, in fact, than I give John.

shan
03-26-2012, 01:12 AM
I have a hard time believing that Josh was not approached by Caitlin's camp prior to his announcing his break-up with Ashley.

That is, I suspect that Josh was approached by Caitlin/her coaches to instigate his break-up with Ashley for the convenient reason that she was not skating pairs full time. In other words, had their been no Caitlin, I suspect we would still have Ashley and Josh as a pair.

To the extent that any half of a couple is to be "blamed" for a break-up, I do not cut Josh any slack -- less, in fact, than I give John.

From the IN article:

"Josh wasn't ever really on my radar, because he and Ashley did fairly well their first year senior," she said. "I thought if I did not find a partner this year and had to wait out another season, I might be out of skating. I am a very lucky girl to have Josh."

RD
03-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Well- if you wanted to go that route, you know...Yankowskas WAS present at Nationals...and the Reagan/Cain breakup occurred soon after Nationals.

(Not suggesting anything, just stating facts)

julieann
03-26-2012, 01:35 AM
So you are convinced John lied, but you don't remember how?

I heard all of the excuses he came up with last year about the break-up. He wants to retire... he isn't over his mom's death... if you care to search the board and re-read it for yourself, feel free. If you are convinced he was honest, that's fine too.

MacMadame
03-26-2012, 02:17 AM
It does make sense now that we know they are a couple but John never explained that.
Yes, now that we know that, it makes sense. Yet people are STILL ragging on John for the split and saying it made no sense.

The age of consent in Colorado is 17. In addition, there are close-in-age exceptions, which allow those aged 15 and 16 to engage in acts with those less than ten years older (and those less than 15 to engage in acts with those less than four years older). The only stipulation on the 17-year-old is that they can not legally consent to a person that is in position of trust.

So Caydee was 17 and legally able to give consent. Even if she had been younger, John was not more than 10 years older than her so it would still be legal. And finally, he wasn't in a position of trust over her so ... still legal.

I don't know why they didn't reveal the romance as part of the announcement of the team forming but it would not have been impossible to do so.